Product Recommendation for the frugal

January 11th, 2018 at 3:13:13 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I have no personal experience with the product because it is not on sale for another month, but at $99 it is probably worth taking a risk.

Channel Master has introduced a two channel "over the air" recording device combined with the ability to stream services like Netflix (plus support Google Chrome).
Channel Master's previous product which was far less capable cost $250. This one is being offered for $99 "Special introductory price" if you buy before the actual sale introduction in February.

You probably won't get it delivered until April.

The storage drive is not included, but you can buy a microSD card for $13 to $300. I would start small at first because Channel Master states that USB
functionality will be coming soon which should be cheaper than high storage micro SD cards. The original micro SD card can probably be re-used for a phone or camera after you upgrade.
https://www.channelmaster.com/Stream_Plus_p/cm-7600.htm

what makes the Channel Master so competitive on price is you can buy your own storage media and spend a lot less if you just want a few hours of storage.

A similar product from TiVo witha 1 terabyte drive costs $400 (4 tuners)
https://www.techhive.com/article/3062107/streaming-hardware/tivo-revamps-its-roamio-ota-set-top-box-and-drops-the-subscription-charge.html
January 11th, 2018 at 5:55:41 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
https://www.cnet.com/news/roku-tvs-can-now-pause-live-over-the-air-tv/

For the even more frugal the best buy is $169.99 for a TCL - 32" Class - LED - 720p - Smart - HDTV Roku TV Model: 32S305SKU.

While it only has one tuner and does not have a full fledged DVR, you can buy a USB stick for $10 and have the ability to pause live TV. In addition you can record some portion of the show being tuned in (I believe up to 90 minutes) and then watch it later with the ability to fast forward through commercials. BEWARE: If you change channels you will lose the buffer immediately.

On the other end of the manufacturer's range, the TCL P series Roku TV (2017) is said to have a very robust picture, ridiculously good 55-inch TV with excellent overall image quality, with deep black levels, rich contrast and accurate color. for MSRP: $649.99

As most people are paying well in excess of $100 a month for cable TV, spending $650 so you can really enjoy your streaming and antenna shows may seem like a fair trade.
May 29th, 2021 at 6:34:00 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I was not sure where to post this but feel frugality and hidden inflation are kind of related. Also time to revive the frugality thread.

One on the left purchased this morning, on the right probably early last year.
The President is a fink.
May 31st, 2021 at 3:10:33 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I buy the Wegmans knock offs. A few $ less per box.

Is the price the same for your 38 count as 40 count? Or 5% cheaper?
May 31st, 2021 at 4:36:30 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
The 40 count was bought probably 2 years ago, the 38 the day I posted this. This is hidden inflation that never shows up and most people do not notice. I would not have noticed but for having the old box still.

I got it at Dollar General with their great $5 off $25 purchase deal. Spend $5 during the week and get that deal on Sat when they are running it. This time I had 2 of them so went twice. Then I went to get my free 30 gal of gas for all the remodel supplies I have bought since March. Then I still had more discount and got 20% off a haul of groceries, which I saved like $58 total with that and other specials. I figure I saved $150 or so on the day, something I never worried about years ago as it was too much trouble. Then I wonder why I am better off now than 20 years ago despite making less in salary.
The President is a fink.
May 31st, 2021 at 11:25:49 AM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
Quote: AZDuffman
This is hidden inflation that never shows up and most people do not notice.
Hiden? Yes. Unnoticed? I'm not so sure.

Bumble Bee tuna (and maybe all brands) have a net weight that fluctuates like a bad stock market report. Lower, lower, lower, lower, then all of a sudden it shoots up to where it started, then cycles again.
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
June 1st, 2021 at 11:12:24 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Sure the count is reduced, but you really can't compare Citrus Twist to Tropical Paradise.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.