Analemma Revisited

Page 2 of 2<12
January 12th, 2018 at 5:56:05 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: OnceDear
He had to deliver that one slightly late, rather water damaged but unopened parcel. . . 'Cos that's the FedEx way.

What was in the unopened package?
A solar powered satellite phone
Thats the answer from the director gave during a Q and A about the film. Of course he was joking
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 13th, 2018 at 3:35:33 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: odiousgambit
We discussed the analemma a bit but dropped it, I'd kind of like to go back to it. .
Can't you just go to Amazon and buy a cheap plastic knockoff?
January 13th, 2018 at 3:47:25 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I could maybe find an old globe on ebay, many had an analemma image with data

Wikipedia image By Politikaner - Self-photographed, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=8635622

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 13th, 2018 at 8:37:26 AM permalink
Fleastiff
I thought that was the path that the turtle walks while carrying a globe on its back.

All joking aside its easy to see how ancient man, in making all these discoveries, had to have lead a life that was mainly leisure. This nasty, brutish, short, enslaved stuff had to be pure BS. Its taking the time to contemplate huckleberries and ant-beer fermented quail eggs wherein one embarks on a life of freedom and discovery.

I have to go track down some data on a 1700 BC tablet from Mesopotamia that described how to cook quail for an electronic acquaintance of mine in Australia.
January 14th, 2018 at 5:01:58 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: odiousgambit
PS, somebody came along and changed back my original change at wikipedia. I dunno about that.

PPS an MIT guy he says. I won't win the argument, not being an astronomer, and he could be; so I added about the solstices, we'll see how he likes that.

Last edit went OK. I'm "stalking" this guy now; no reason to believe it is an imposter since this is a grad student.

https://math.mit.edu/directory/profile.php?pid=1708
January 15th, 2018 at 2:58:05 AM permalink
odiousgambit
OK, I took the plunge and added a section to the Wikipedia page, "Comprehension for the Hobbyist"

I placed it well down, just before "Solar analemmas seen from other planets"

Will Berdnikov sink me? He may object to the simplicity. And though it is not original "research" it has an originality that may discomfort? We shall see.
January 15th, 2018 at 5:53:49 AM permalink
Fleastiff
I've heard that Wikipedia has rather few editors anyway so if you get into a flame war they will just lock the page.
January 15th, 2018 at 6:15:25 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: Fleastiff
I've heard that Wikipedia has rather few editors anyway so if you get into a flame war they will just lock the page.

but will I be locked in or locked out?
January 15th, 2018 at 2:56:51 PM permalink
odiousgambit
OK, it has happened, somebody deleted my section ... says I need a citation, which fits with "too originally sourced" as I feared. Even though he knows damn well the content is OK.

Not sure I have the energy to fight this.
Page 2 of 2<12