The worst Marvel Comic movie ever made

January 14th, 2018 at 7:19:50 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Candidates for the worst Marvel comic inspired movie ever made was "Howard the Duck" released August 1, 1986 and the first Fantastic Four film made with a $1 million budget in 1994. Marvel bought the negative so that the film would never be released and ten years later 20th Century Fox released a film with a $100 million budget.

Elektra, Daredevil, Ghost Rider all did poorly in the box office.

I finally saw the 2015 reboot of Fantastic Four ($120 million budget) which is widely regarded as one of the most disastrous Marvel Comic book films of all time.

It's undoubtedly a bad film, but I was afraid it would be unwatchable (like "Twilight"). So the best thing I can say about the movie is I watched it until the end.

It suffers from lack of humor and it is overbearing.
January 14th, 2018 at 10:19:28 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I have a soft spot in my heart for Howard. I owned a bookstore when he first appeared, so put away the first 6 issues somewhere. Wish I could find them. I'm clearing things out: they'll turn up.. So I suspect I will. They were funny, sarcastic, kind of anti-hero art.

The movie disappointed. I think they didn't know how to translate the tone of the comics to the screen or something. So probably fair to say it's a bad movie. Idk about "worst", but I haven't seen that FF either.

The FF I did see, about 15 years ago was pretty bad, I would say worse than ahoward, but I'm biased
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 14th, 2018 at 3:42:30 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: beachbumbabs
The FF I did see, about 15 years ago was pretty bad, I would say worse than ahoward, but I'm biased.

It was pretty juvenile, but it made a lot of money. The sequel just barely broke even.

Christ Evans (Human torch) is the only actor to play two different Marvel Superheros for two different studios. He left Fox and four years later was playing Captain America. Now he has a net worth in excess of $50 million.
January 14th, 2018 at 6:57:55 PM permalink
Pacomartin

Marvel's 15 year old comic book, the Runaways, finally got it's screen debut on Hulu.

The characters were made even more diverse, and the show got sponsored by "Discover LA"

While there is nothing inherently wrong with diversity in casting, they seem to try so hard today. We need a lesbian, and Asian, an African American, a jock, a science nerd, a Latina, etc.
January 14th, 2018 at 7:05:54 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Agreed. They seem to be making a point to cast via Chinese menu system.If the material calls for that, fine. If not...
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 14th, 2018 at 9:02:31 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
There were movies with Dolf Lundgren as “The Punisher” and David Hasselhoff as “Nick Fury” back in the late 80’s that were pretty forgettable. However, what made HTD so bad was that a relatively princely sum at the time was put into the budget. They would have gotten a better return buying stock in Colecovision.
January 14th, 2018 at 9:28:57 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
I'd posit that comics are difficult to bring to TV or movies because the voices they use are never like you imagined them. You focus on that, and kinda ruins the whole show. I learned that as a child watching the Peanuts specials on TV.
January 14th, 2018 at 9:59:44 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Quote: zippyboy
I'd posit that comics are difficult to bring to TV or movies because the voices they use are never like you imagined them. You focus on that, and kinda ruins the whole show. I learned that as a child watching the Peanuts specials on TV.

I got the Charlie Brown Christmas voice cast in my head way back when. Makes the newer voices, especially Chuck, Linus, and Lucy just not RIGHT. Can't watch them without wondering what happened to the original voices instead of enjoying the cartoon.
January 15th, 2018 at 6:16:31 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: beachbumbabs
If the material calls for that, fine. If not...

You can almost see the producers doing the calculations in their head. How many people will this pairing intrigue and how many will this offend.

Twenty years ago Disney wanted to Brandy, a black Cinderella with a white Prince Charming. But they decided on a Latino actor to reduce stress in some states. The older interracial couple was a barrier broken decades earlier .

Most people are aware that the TV producers in 1968 wanted a shot without the kiss for southern TV stations, but the actors deliberately ruined every take.