No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (25%)
No votes (0%)

4 members have voted

January 17th, 2018 at 2:51:21 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Jetblue has free wifi and it's pretty good. I think that you have to sign up to the rewards program and provide them with an email address.
January 17th, 2018 at 8:12:19 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: boymimbo
The reason people book via FLL on that route obviously is total flight time, which is much shorter from FLL then from JFK and BOS, and those two cities are subject to typical NE corridor delays and weather. And when he got on the plane, there was no reason to expect the diversion.

The extra thousand miles through JFK or BOS would have been made up by shorter layover times. Of course if those planes also left Las Vegas an hour late, they would have missed their connection. One would normally think that flying in the middle of winter through Florida is less risky than flying through the Northeast, especially with a 4.5 hour layover.

2,381 mi + 2,058 mi = 4,439 mi via BOSTON
2,248 mi + 1,951 mi = 4,199 mi via JFK
2,174 mi + 1,144 mi = 3,317 mi via FLL (79 miles longer than theoretical nonstop)

JetBLUE scheduled routes Las Vegas to Aruba
Layover: 0:38 Total time: 9:53 via overnight JFK
Layover: 1:13 Total time: 10:51 via overnight BOS
Layover: 4:31 Total time: 12:18 via overnight FLL <============
Layover: 3:41 Total time: 12:59 via overnight JFK
Layover: 5:20 Total time: 14:59 via overnight BOS

On March 8, 2018 Southwest begins flights from FLL to Aruba. Unfortunately the connection times suck

Flights leave FLL for Aruba at 10:55AM, but the flights from Vegas arrive in FLL between midnight and 2 AM.
January 18th, 2018 at 12:20:06 AM permalink
boymimbo
Quote: Paco
On March 8, 2018 Southwest begins flights from FLL to Aruba. Unfortunately the connection times suck

Flights leave FLL for Aruba at 10:55AM, but the flights from Vegas arrive in FLL between midnight and 2 AM.

WN does not offer redeyes anywhere. It has a direct flight to Aruba from its Orlando hub.. You can fly LAS - MCO, overnight, then do MCO - AUA (you can't book this on a single ticket). Apparently from what I read their reservation computer was not capable of booking a redeye until the middle of last year.
January 18th, 2018 at 7:53:38 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I wonder whether the kinds of flight delays we get to see these days have anything to do with lower use of actual travel agents.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 19th, 2018 at 1:58:02 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: boymimbo
WN does not offer redeyes anywhere. It has a direct flight to Aruba from its Orlando hub.. You can fly LAS - MCO, overnight, then do MCO - AUA (you can't book this on a single ticket). Apparently from what I read their reservation computer was not capable of booking a redeye until the middle of last year.

Orlando-Aruba
8:45 AM 12:50 PM 4575 Nonstop
10:00 AM 2:05 PM 1630 Nonstop

Fort Lauderdale-Aruba
10:55 AM 2:45 PM 1632 Nonstop

There is a lot to be said for booking your beach vacation to someplace where you can fly nonstop. Panama City does not have the cachet of Aruba, but it is nice and warm and there are no hurricanes.

Las Vegas (LAS), -Panamá (PTY)
12:31 AM - 10:00 AM (Total time-6:29) redeye
06:22 PM - 10:19 PM (Total time-6:57) return flight

Las Vegas (LAS), -Aruba (AUA) via overnight FLL
Layover: 4:31 Total time- 12:18

So even if everything goes perfectly that is six hours saving on travel time.
January 19th, 2018 at 11:02:23 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Here is Jet Blue's response

Quote: Jet Blue

Dear Michael,

Thank you for the details you've provided regarding your recent JetBlue travel experience. We're sorry to hear that your flight out of Las Vegas was significantly delayed due to the diversion to Orlando, FL and that you didn't receive the level of service you deserved.

We understand how frustrating a flight disruption can be and more importantly we know your time is valuable and cannot be replaced. Of course, sometimes these types of flight disruptions are not anticipated and because we always place our customers' safety first, those types of circumstances become unavoidable. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced.

In situations where an airplane travels into a jet stream with strong head winds, extra fuel is burned to compensate for the extra push against the plane. While we can generally plan ahead for refueling, weather is not always predictable and in cases where strong head winds burn more fuel than anticipated, our pilots may decide to stop and ensure that there is enough fuel to safely navigate around the weather conditions.

We have a team dedicated to making the decision about which delayed or cancelled flights will receive compensation in accordance with our Bill of Rights. Although your flight didn't qualify for compensation, as a gesture of goodwill, we've issued a JetBlue credit for $50 into your Travel Bank accounts:

(name redacted in the interests of privacy)

The credit is valid for one year from the date of issuance. If you’re a TrueBlue member, you can access your Travel Bank account with the same login credentials you use to access your TrueBlue account. Visit bit.ly/JBcreditFAQ for helpful information about how to use and manage your credit.

Although we’re not offering reimbursement for consequential expenses, if you purchased travel insurance, you can submit your hotel expense to your travel insurance company for consideration. If you selected insurance from Allianz Global Assistance (our independent provider) during the booking process, please visit jetblue.com/travel-insurance for more information about filing a claim.

We hope to have the privilege of serving you in the future so that we may provide you with a renewed and positive JetBlue experience.

Best regards,

Gabriela
JetBlue | Customer Commitment
Crewmember 25117

I don't think they understood my point that I'm not asking for compensation because of the fog but because of the delay doing the math on the plane's weight. $300 in compensation was almost as much as the expense of the rooms but I doubt most of us will have a chance to fly on Jet Blue within a year. It is what it is. Time to move past it.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 19th, 2018 at 11:32:47 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
Time to move past it.

Why? You're not going to trash Jet Blue at every opportunity (speaking of lemonade, you how terrible an airline Jet Blue is?). how about auctioning off your $50 credit you won't ever use. To try to determine the real value, of course. bids should open at 1/10th of a penny. Or work them in game reviews like "hitting the jackpot in this game is a worse bet than getting anywhere on time using Jet Blue."

Seriously, didn't you take grudge-holding in school? :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 19th, 2018 at 12:23:12 PM permalink
boymimbo
Quote: Wizard
Here is Jet Blue's response

Quote: Jet Blue

Dear Michael,

...We hope to have the privilege of serving you in the future so that we may provide you with a renewed and positive JetBlue experience.

I don't think they understood my point that I'm not asking for compensation because of the fog but because of the delay doing the math on the plane's weight. $300 in compensation was almost as much as the expense of the rooms but I doubt most of us will have a chance to fly on Jet Blue within a year. It is what it is. Time to move past it.

Their response is not a surprise and I think they considered your logic as they never give anything for simple weather delays. They giving you $50 is a goodwill gesture without admitted that they messed up. Quite honestly once the plane was diverted to MCO (the right call due to the go-around on the SFO attempted landing) the earliest (perfectly) you could have landed in FLL would have been 11am (airport landings reopens around 9:00). It would have taken 30 minutes to reboard, 30 minutes to do the recalculation, and then you are subject to ATC's routing and flight plan approval. You would have missed your flight anyway due to circumstances beyond JB's control.

It's worth a response to ask for more but I think $300 is better than nothing.
January 19th, 2018 at 3:12:04 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Umm.

Head winds? They call them "the prevailing westerlies" for a reason.

He got $50 for complaining at all, not because their agent understood anything about the complaint.

The thing that WAS in JBU control was having numbers.

The OTHER thing that was in JBU control was holding the leg to Aruba with at least 6 pax delayed, and probably many more, since all flights were messed up, and Mike was surrounded by angry people.

The STILL OTHER thing in JBU control was allowing the pax to disembark in MCO, which meant a longer roundup and reboard even if people hadn't refused to go on to FLL. That decision doomed you, though you appreciated it at the time.

That decision also further obligated their operations to hold your connecting flight.

Very disappointed in them.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 19th, 2018 at 3:30:06 PM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: beachbumbabs

He got $50 for complaining at all, not because their agent understood anything about the complaint.
^^^ This ^^^
They don't seem to have shown any regard for the complaint. A pathetic $50 each is a fob off well within the discretionary budget of the first line agent.
If I were Mike, even with his enormous wealth :o) I'd press them to devote more time to making a better offer.
Page 5 of 6« First<23456>