March for Life 2018

Page 7 of 10« First<45678910>
January 21st, 2018 at 4:23:50 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: rxwine
I suppose if you can put someone in jail for life for murdering a 30 year old, you could also put someone in jail for life for the heinous murder of a few fertilized cells. After all, there is supposedly even more potential cut short.

Of course that's where the whole analogy fails me. I just can't reconcile that much value to a clump of cells vs someone at 30. If it makes sense to a god, fine, doesn't make sense to me.

I imagine it would make sense to a mother wouldn't it?

With your rule about someone having complete dominion over anything under their skin how would you handle the poisoning of the developing baby? Do you think the pregnant mother can smoke or drink without regard for anything under her skin?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 21st, 2018 at 5:18:36 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: beachbumbabs
I can see you teaching responsible sex, but I would appreciate a concentration on real-world practical advice rather than an idealistic and moralistic education. If girls and boys understood their bodies better, they would have more confidence in saying "no". They would also understand what acts lead to pregnancy, what acts expose them to std's, and how to protect themselves.

I agree with this.

Quote:

Your religion starts, by necessity, assuming all men and women are sinners. If they're not, there is no point to Jesus. A lifeguard without drowning swimmers is a redundancy.

My religion starts with God creating everything and in particular human beings and saying that we are "very good". My religion begins with an act of love and the beginning of life.

Quote:
Sin must be defined in order to label a behavior as sinful. It must then be judged by the dominant society or its leaders as behavior anathemetic to the group. And the person exhibiting the behavior must be made to care that the group disapproves. Once they care, the guilt of displeasing the group is what makes them change their behavior and/or ask forgiveness.

You don't need to label a behavior as sinful, we feel it and know it long before it is labeled. It also doesn't have to be judged by others to be detrimental to the group or the individual. It is part of the nature of sin that it hurts the individual and the group. Again the person who has sinned doesn't have to be made to do anything if they care about themselves and the group. Guilt serving the purpose of changing behavior I would agree with and the only thing leaders should do is make sure that this guilt doesn't linger and make sure that even when feeling guilty the person knows they are valued and loved.

Quote:
Enter Jesus.

Praise God!

Quote:
Except for Catholics, where there is Original Sin. Jesus forgives that which you didn't even do ,or think, or even have awareness about. A little convenient, isn't it?

There's an entire thread on here about it, so I won't derail your thread further. But thanks for engaging.

Except it is not only for Catholics it is a Christian concept and anthropological philosophical understanding for the fact that we often find it hard to do the right thing or to not do the thing we wish we wouldn't do. Our nature, created good by a good God is wounded. Any further discussion I agree should go in the Original Sin thread.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 21st, 2018 at 5:20:45 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: petroglyph

The world or the west don't seem to give that much never mind. I can't separate the value of those lives, as being less important than terminated pregnancy's. It is hypocrisy on a global scale.

I agree, we have so much work to do in respecting the life of every human person from the womb to the tomb.
January 21st, 2018 at 5:29:14 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: boymimbo
Please quote me the bible verse where it states that life begins at conception.

There are some psalm verses that talk about being knit together in my mothers womb, that I am wonderfully made, that before I was born you knew me, etc. However to find out that life begins at conception you have to turn to your science textbook.

Quote:
Please give me numbers on partial birth abortions performed. Please give me statistics on reasons why abortions occur after week 21. Please support your feelings with statistics. Because you can't. You come back with horror stories without understanding the back stories as to why they occurred. You support the fiction that these decisions to have late term abortions are taken lightly, like a joke, without a shred of evidence to support you. And that's what I abhor about the pro-life movement, or any movement that uses tactic to scare people into compliance.

It is the procedure that should scare people not anything anyone says. Here is a site that gives the statistics you are looking for:
US Abortion Statistics
January 21st, 2018 at 6:55:09 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: FrGamble
. To change society by changing hearts.
No, you want to change laws, Allow medical workers to practice Catholic medicine instead of medicine,. Place arbitrary and capricious barriers such as licensing, insurance, waiting periods, Catholic lies, etc. as hurdles. And in general enact Papal Prattling as US Law.

Then after you've forced this 'pro life' campaign you want to subject a woman to raising an unwanted child so you are surely not pro her life. And subject society to hordes of irresponsibly reared brats who become a criminal underclass because the Pope wants it that way.
January 21st, 2018 at 7:22:36 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: beachbumbabs
I can see you teaching responsible sex, but I would appreciate a concentration on real-world practical advice rather than an idealistic and moralistic education..
Will never happen, Catholics want to start out with moral viewpoints about procreation and avoidance of recreational sex, avoid teaching recreational sex as pleasurable and basically get about as "real world practical" as advising cold showers, To this day, Ireland punishes condom distribution more harshly than heroin distribution,

Irish law mandates 'equal dignity' which means that a woman who needs medical treatment can receive it only if does not harm her fetus.

This reduces a woman to the status of an incubator which pleases the Pope and Saudi Arabia but is alien to civilized society.

Knowledge is power but the only knowledge Catholics want taught is Sex is Bad, Don't do it until married then do it only to have kids even if you can't afford to raise them and don't want to raise them.
January 21st, 2018 at 8:30:25 AM permalink
FrGamble
Fleastiff you need to slow your roll. You are way off base and just spouting prejudiced myths and falsehoods as fact.

The Catholic Church teaches sex is a great gift and a blessing and that we should responsibly use this gift. We don't give ourselves in those most intimate way to strangers or hook ups, this leads to pain and hurt. Teaching responsible sex is what I care most about not the irresponsible sex that you and the culture is pushing on our young people leading to more and more problems and unhappiness. Just look around and stop the nonsense.
January 21st, 2018 at 9:00:25 AM permalink
Fleastiff
to strangers or hook ups, .
Remember the Manchester bombing of a teeny bopper concert. Did you ever read the lyrics to her songs,. Twelve year old girls learning about icicles... yeah, that is the other extreme. However a girl is more likely to encounter icicles than abstinence. Problems and unhappiness result from ignorance as well as propaganda,
January 21st, 2018 at 9:06:31 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
We don't give ourselves in those most intimate way to strangers or hook ups, this leads to pain and hurt.

This of course is not the only extra-marital sex scenario.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 21st, 2018 at 9:14:15 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Christian Taliban are no better than their Islamic counterparts.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 7 of 10« First<45678910>