Shutdown

Page 3 of 7<123456>Last »
January 20th, 2018 at 1:40:45 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Quote: SOOPOO
Correct, because he has to deal with Democrats whose MAIN mission is to see Trump fail, NOT to serve the American people. If you put a lie detector on the Dems voting to shutdown, and asked them if making Trump look bad was their primary motive, it would be 100% yes. Not a one of them is doing this because it is good for American citizens. Some may be doing this because it is good for illegal aliens, though.

When the Repubs were threatening this same silly shutdown thing during Obama's time, there are dozens of soundbites from Dems saying how this is NEVER an acceptable tactic. When those same Dems who voted to shutdown are running for re-election, it will be an easy and powerful ad run by their opponents.

Trump of course has said things about a shutdown in the past that he is now 180 degrees changed, so I'll add this to the list of why I don't think Trump has a chance against any regular Democrat who runs against him in 2020.

Oh good God. Let me quote 2013 when Obama shut down and we can reverse the quote:

"Correct, because he has to deal with Republicans whose MAIN mission is to see Obama fail, NOT to serve the American people. If you put in a lie detector on the Reps voting to shutdown, and asked them if making Obama look bad was their primary motive, it would be 100% yes. Not a one of them is doing this because it is good for American citizens. Some may be doing this because it is good for hospitals, healthcare providers, and pharmaceutical companies, though."

Two wrongs don't make a right.
January 20th, 2018 at 1:51:27 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Help me out here. I often hear that these illegal aliens are 'valuable, tax paying members of society'. I thought that federal income taxes are paid attached to a social security number. How do illegal aliens pay federal income taxes?

DACA recipients have social security numbers and pay taxes. They are here legally (under the DACA program which expires). The parents are not. If they are working, they are doing so illegally, and are not paying taxes and their employers are also breaking the law too.

To be honest, I would let the DACA recipients stay, deport the parents, and see what happens. Perhaps if you give DACAs a LPR (Green Card) then they can migrate their parents back in after a mandatory 5 year penalty (currently existing under INA 212.9) and then subject to the same wait times as everyone else (7 years) who applies under the category.

I don't know how fiberal that approach is.
January 22nd, 2018 at 12:32:00 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Well, that was a whole lot of sound and fury signifying one snow day for part of the federal government.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 22nd, 2018 at 12:36:48 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Nareed
Well, that was a whole lot of sound and fury signifying one snow day for part of the federal government.

The term "nothing burger" gets thrown around a lot, but this shutdown was a true nothing burger.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 22nd, 2018 at 12:44:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed

18 voted against it today, which means
the whole Dem side caved. They must
have got an earful from home over the
weekend. It's a good thing, because
Trump was in it for the long haul.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 22nd, 2018 at 1:08:26 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
or the whole dem side got out of it as much as they could expect, such "receiving a commitment from Republicans to hold a vote on immigration legislation"
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 22nd, 2018 at 1:23:43 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: boymimbo
DACA recipients have social security numbers and pay taxes. They are here legally (under the DACA program which expires). The parents are not. If they are working, they are doing so illegally, and are not paying taxes and their employers are also breaking the law too.

To be honest, I would let the DACA recipients stay, deport the parents, and see what happens. Perhaps if you give DACAs a LPR (Green Card) then they can migrate their parents back in after a mandatory 5 year penalty (currently existing under INA 212.9) and then subject to the same wait times as everyone else (7 years) who applies under the category.

I don't know how fiberal that approach is.

Thanks for the info. I was pretty ignorant I guess. If we have been making it legal for the DACA kids to be here, I think now changing course and making it illegal is wrong. So I'll agree with you; deport the crime committing (by coming here ILLEGALLY) parents, let the "legal" DACA people stay.
January 22nd, 2018 at 1:25:29 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: Evenbob
18 voted against it today, which means
the whole Dem side caved. They must
have got an earful from home over the
weekend. It's a good thing, because
Trump was in it for the long haul.

I don't think they caved at all. They got an agreement from the Republican majority that a DACA bill will be next up. That is called compromise from both sides. Sort of the way it is supposed to work.
January 22nd, 2018 at 1:38:22 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Thanks for the info. I was pretty ignorant I guess. If we have been making it legal for the DACA kids to be here, I think now changing course and making it illegal is wrong. So I'll agree with you; deport the crime committing (by coming here ILLEGALLY) parents, let the "legal" DACA people stay.
How did people that came here illegally, [Dreamers] become legal?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 22nd, 2018 at 1:40:43 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: petroglyph
How did people that came here illegally, [Dreamers] become legal?

As i said, I'm no expert, but I believe there are simple forms they had to fill out, and under DACA became legal. They had to prove their age and when they arrived, I think.
Page 3 of 7<123456>Last »