Shutdown

Page 4 of 7<1234567>
January 22nd, 2018 at 2:31:15 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: SOOPOO
Quote: petroglyph
How did people that came here illegally, [Dreamers] become legal?

As i said, I'm no expert, but I believe there are simple forms they had to fill out, and under DACA became legal. They had to prove their age and when they arrived, I think.
I don't know either. But it does make me feel empathy for all those people that have tried to get here the legitimate way. Why would anybody ever, that wants to come here, wait their turn again? This giving amnesty, [which is where this will end up] was supposed to be over the last time, during Reagan. Same BS, different day.

Everybody that follows the rules gets ooh-scrayed.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 22nd, 2018 at 2:53:46 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: SOOPOO

As i said, I'm no expert, but I believe there are simple forms they had to fill out, and under DACA became legal. They had to prove their age and when they arrived, I think.
I don't know either. But it does make me feel empathy for all those people that have tried to get here the legitimate way. Why would anybody ever, that wants to come here, wait their turn again? This giving amnesty, [which is where this will end up] was supposed to be over the last time, during Reagan. Same BS, different day.

Everybody that follows the rules gets ooh-scrayed.

Yeah, that is my problem with it too. Sort of like the baseball player who did not do steroids that barely missed the major leagues while a slightly naturally less talented player leap-frogged him by doing steroids. You may think the illegal alien 'harmed no one', but I can assure you if there were no illegal aliens we would admit more legally. The guy waiting on the queue is harmed.
January 22nd, 2018 at 3:39:04 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
DACA applies to people arrived in the US before age 16 and have lived here since June 15, 2007.

It doesn't apply to their parents.

The philosophy, which you can agree with or not, is that these people brought here as minors should not be held responsible for or subject to the consequences of the actions of the people who brought them here.

As for repeating this pattern, someone would have to be playing a real long game against real long odds they could get here and stay long enough on the hopes that their children would get to stay.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 22nd, 2018 at 5:24:28 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5

You can read all about it on Wikipedia. But the law originated in 2007 and failed to pass, twice.

Quote: wiki, probably correct
This policy allowed certain immigrants to escape deportation and obtain work permits for a period of two years – renewable upon good behavior. To apply, immigrants had to be younger than 31 on June 15, 2012, must have come to the U.S. when they were younger than 16, and must have lived in the U.S. since 2007.

Rules are simple:
(1) Arrive in the United States before January 1, 2007 (you know, back when Bush was president).
(2) arrived in the United states before they were 16 (parents therefore brought them)
(3) And born after June 15, 1981.

You have to renew your status every two years and it is only renewable upon good behavior.
January 22nd, 2018 at 5:54:33 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: boymimbo

You can read all about it on Wikipedia. But the law originated in 2007 and failed to pass, twice.

Rules are simple:
(1) Arrive in the United States before January 1, 2007 (you know, back when Bush was president).
(2) arrived in the United states before they were 16 (parents therefore brought them)
(3) And born after June 15, 1981.

You have to renew your status every two years and it is only renewable upon good behavior.
The question was rhetorical, but thanks. [sarc]

Just as when two cows make love, they don't create a stallion, similarly when two illegals illegally come into the US, they do not create a citizen, just because their spawn was not in charge of the illegal act.

The pols have each instructed their staffs never to even speak the word illegal immigrants and to only use other phrases such as undocumented, so as to fix the american mindset to no longer think of people illegally entering our country as criminals.
January 22nd, 2018 at 6:13:11 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
The pols have each instructed their staffs never to even speak the word illegal immigrants and to only use other phrases such as undocumented, so as to fix the american mindset to no longer think of people illegally entering our country as criminals.

Trump can just pardon them like he did with the convicted sheriff. You support a guy who needs to be in jail.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 22nd, 2018 at 6:56:44 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: rxwine

Trump can just pardon them like he did with the convicted sheriff. You support a guy who needs to be in jail.
Don't you think that Saint Joe deserve's constitutional rights, or are they just for those here illegally?

"Judge Bolton did not adequately address that.” He added that Judge Bolton had also violated Mr. Arpaio’s rights by denying him a trial by jury." The judge who determined Arpaio was guilty of contempt, found so, by denying Sheriff Joe his right to trial by jury.

Is that what you want? You want him to go to jail, deny his constitutional rights, and keep a few million criminals happy? What you got against America?
January 22nd, 2018 at 7:10:56 PM permalink
rxwine
Didn't serve any time, and besides that there is a appeal process he could still go though like us ordinary people. The one 99.99% of the people he jailed relied on.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 22nd, 2018 at 7:26:10 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: rxwine
Didn't serve any time, and besides that there is a appeal process he could still go though like us ordinary people. The one 99.99% of the people he jailed relied on.
What do you want him to appeal?

The residents of Maricopa county continually re-elected Arpaio. The majority of the voting residents approved dramatically of the way he policed Phoenix.

I really approved of how he handled one reporter when asked about prisoner complaints in Arpaio's tent city, when they complained about wearing pink. First he told them that if they didn't like the conditions in his prison, then not to come back. That's all they had to do, was not get convicted of any more crimes and sent to prison. Seems fair enough.

Secondly his response about convicted criminals complaints about the lack of air conditioning, elected Sheriff Joe Arpaio responded, " our military is forced to carry heavy packs in 130* heat in Iraq, and they didn't commit any crime. Convicted criminals could try to avoid standing in the sun, where temps were much cooler. The military, the police, the voters all loved him.

Oh, and convicts also complained about the food. What are you gonna do? Hard to please convicts and criminals. Arpaio was more concerned about the health of his supporters. What exactly is your complaint?
January 22nd, 2018 at 8:37:15 PM permalink
rxwine
The majority of the voting residents approved dramatically of the way he policed Phoenix.

You like majorities do you? Then respect it.

Quote:
Americans by an almost 8 to 1 margin — 79 percent — think Dreamers should be allowed to remain in the country and apply for citizenship — putting most voters at odds with GOP immigration hardliners in Congress and the Trump administration, a new Quinnipiac poll said Thursday.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/11/huge-majority-of-americans-want-dreamers-to-stay-in-us-poll/

Quote:
87% support
for dreamers even if they don't support shutdown.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jan/18/dreamer-supporters-oppose-government-shutdown/

Quinnipiac
Quote:
American voters support 73 - 21 percent, including 49 - 40 percent among Republicans, legislation to allow undocumented immigrants brought to the U.S. as children - Dreamers - to remain in the U.S. legally, according to a Quinnipiac University National Poll released today.

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2514
Page 4 of 7<1234567>