March 6th, 2018 at 3:27:19 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Here are my top three movies for 2017.

1. I, Tonya
2. Wonder Woman
3. Three Billboards

Just a coincidence all have strong female leads.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 6th, 2018 at 6:39:56 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Do you realize that Gal Gadot was 11 years old when they first began development of Wonder Woman? Sandra Bullock was just coming off of Speed and "The Net" and she was the first choice at the time. Naturally Angela Jolie was a candidate at one point, particularly after she made Salt in 2010. At least a half a dozen other actresses were considered.

Gal Gadot was only getting her second film credit at the time, one of which was this sex kitten in "Date Night" (2 minutes into clip)

After GG was in three Fast and Furious movies and two other bit parts she was cast as Wonder Woman in late 2013.
March 6th, 2018 at 4:28:45 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I am old enough to think that a theatrical film is primarily about acting first, directing and writing second, and special effects and cinematography third.

In the past, especially the 1950s, spectacle could win a film the Best Picture award. That trend was followed by “The Last Emperor” (1987), “Braveheart” (1995), and “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King” (2003).

But since 2003 the Academy has chosen to almost completely ignore the commercially successful film in favor of independent films or those with social consciousness. As we said earlier “Slumdog Millionaire” (2008) did not even have an acting nomination.

In the 1930's at an extreme one film won all the major awards
(1934) It Happened One Night: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, and Best Screenplay
One of the last romantic comedies created before the MPAA began enforcing the 1930 production code in 1934
Two years later a supporting category was created for the Oscars.

Quote: Wizard
So, four of the six categories do not have runaway favorites. This will make a terrible betting year. I don't advise betting on a favorite unless the odds are -500 or better.

It seems like a sign that the Best Picture is being awarded primarily on thematic material. I think it is possible to make a film with nasty or at least conflicted characters, and where the evil doer is not punished. Also "The Artist" a feel good homage to 1930's Hollywood doesn't seem like it has a chance today.

William Shakespeare gave one of his most sublime quotes "This above all, to thine own self be true" to a character who was petty, selfish, manipulative, and a boor.

So it seems like for Best Picture you should place your bet on the most thematically correct theme.
In some ways it is a return to the Code.
March 6th, 2018 at 4:57:01 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
I am old enough to think that a theatrical film is primarily about acting first, directing and writing second, and special effects and cinematography third.

It depends on the film, but writing is always the most important part.

As to cinematography, I invite you to imagine what "Citizen Kane" would have been like without the kind of cinematography it has. The writing is good, as is the acting, but the visual feel of the movie gives it the impact.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 6th, 2018 at 6:50:58 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Back in the day, the best picture award went to the highest grossing boxoffice as a way to confirm that ticket buyers made a good choice, and to encourage them to have a rooting interest in the broadcast. Nowadays it seems the award is a way for the academy to pat themselves on the back as “artiiiists”.
March 7th, 2018 at 1:08:22 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
before the MPAA began enforcing the 1930 production code in 1934.
That was the heyday of strong women making movies that featured strong actresses and strong characters. All those women's prison movies and sleep your way to the top movies were very good. Then Hollywood had to time kisses and a female had to step back demurely after a kiss. It was almost as if all strong, manipulative females had to be killed off.
March 7th, 2018 at 1:51:44 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
As to cinematography, I invite you to imagine what "Citizen Kane" would have been like without the kind of cinematography it has. The writing is good, as is the acting, but the visual feel of the movie gives it the impact.

Good point, but it doesn't seem like it has been critical to a best picture win.A writing award almost always goes hand in hand. Needless to say Best Picture and Best Director are often related (2/6 in recent years, but 7/8 times in the previous eight years).

I still think there has been a trend in the last six years away from acting and towards socially relevant themes. In the previous 8 years really only "Crash" was a socially relevant film, the other pictures were more about individual achievement.

(2004) Million Dollar Baby: Picture, Director, Actress in a Leading Role, Supporting Actor
(2005) Crash: Picture, Original Screenplay, and Film Editing
(2006) The Departed: Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay and Film Editing
(2007) No Country for Old Men: Picture, Director, Supporting Actor, Adapted Screenplay
(2008) Slumdog Millionaire: Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing, Original Score, Original Song, Sound Mixing
(2009) The Hurt Locker: Picture, Director, Original Screenplay, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, and Film Editing.
(2010) The King's Speech: Picture, Director , Actor in a Leading Role, Original Screenplay
(2011) The Artist: Picture, Director, Actor in a Leading Role, Costume Design, and Original Score.
(2012) Argo: Picture, Adapted Screenplay, and Film Editing
(2013) 12 Years a Slave: Picture,Supporting Actress (Lupita Nyong'o), Adapted Screenplay
(2014) Birdman : Picture, Director, Original Screenplay, and Cinematography
(2015) Spotlight : Picture and Original Screenplay
(2016) Moonlight : Picture, Supporting Actor (Mahershala Ali) and Adapted Screenplay
(2017) The Shape of Water: Picture, Director, Original Score and Production Design
March 7th, 2018 at 6:56:10 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Good point, but it doesn't seem like it has been critical to a best picture win.

No, it hasn't. Kane didn't win best picture, either. But it's worth noting in the opening credits, the director's card shares space with the cinematographer. That's how much Welles thought of Toland's work.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 4 of 4<1234