Stockton UBI experiment

Page 3 of 5<12345>
March 4th, 2021 at 4:59:41 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
I have been hearing the same dire employment predictions all my life. New jobs will replace the old. They always do.

Maybe. But all those horses who lost work pulling plows and carriages didn't get new jobs. Unless you mean the glue factory.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 4th, 2021 at 5:21:05 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Maybe. But all those horses who lost work pulling plows and carriages didn't get new jobs. Unless you mean the glue factory.

Lucky for them horses do not need an income.

On the other hand we started using robots in the 1960s yet we have tens of millions more people working now than then.
The President is a fink.
March 4th, 2021 at 6:30:25 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Looks like some positions came open: https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/hospital-suv-carrying-27-crashes-semitruck-killing-15-76205214

I would have liked to have seen an suv with 25 people in it just for chuckles. The wreck not so funny.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 5th, 2021 at 5:37:15 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: AZDuffman
I have been hearing the same dire employment predictions all my life. New jobs will replace the old. They always do.

Gotta agree. I think about jobs today that just didn't exist when I was a kid. Heck, even 'machine AP' was probably unheard of in the 60's. Internet security adviser? Computer chip manufacturer? Internet 'influencer'? Professional skateboarder? Anesthesiology assistant? Transgender studies professor? Cell phone repair technician? Etc.... Replaced 'dial phone' repair guy..... etc.....
March 5th, 2021 at 6:52:59 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: SOOPOO
Gotta agree. I think about jobs today that just didn't exist when I was a kid. Heck, even 'machine AP' was probably unheard of in the 60's. Internet security adviser? Computer chip manufacturer? Internet 'influencer'? Professional skateboarder? Anesthesiology assistant? Transgender studies professor? Cell phone repair technician? Etc.... Replaced 'dial phone' repair guy..... etc.....

I agree and that's why I believe in open trade, no tariffs
If manufacturing jobs leave this country, they will be replaced. I was pretty shocked that Republicans have supported tariffs instead of free trade
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 5th, 2021 at 8:34:54 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: terapined
I agree and that's why I believe in open trade, no tariffs
If manufacturing jobs leave this country, they will be replaced. I was pretty shocked that Republicans have supported tariffs instead of free trade

I'm no expert on tariffs. Don't really understand them. How we decide on which products, and how much? I generally am for 'free' anything, but aren't tariffs often in place to counter foreign governments from 'price fixing' to help their own companies at our companies' expense?

How do we have 'open trade' when we have to pay our 'low paid' workers $15 an hour when China can pay their workers $3 an hour? It is complicated....
March 5th, 2021 at 9:52:52 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Same with any 'new program'. What other program will be eliminated or cut, or what taxes will be raised to pay for it?

In the case of a UBI, existing welfare programs would be gutted or eliminated as the UBI would serve as the welfare instead. I know that wouldn't pay for a UBI the full way, not even close. When I'm in charge, I'll raise energy and property taxes to make up the rest.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 5th, 2021 at 10:34:33 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Wizard
In the case of a UBI, existing welfare programs would be gutted or eliminated as the UBI would serve as the welfare instead. I know that wouldn't pay for a UBI the full way, not even close. When I'm in charge, I'll raise energy and property taxes to make up the rest.

And how will people pay those taxes?
The President is a fink.
March 5th, 2021 at 10:49:02 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: Wizard

Hey math guy. Let's say UBI is $12k a year. I think that is a proposal that some have made? So say 300 million Americans qualify. I think that is 3.6 trillion dollars, right? Depending on you define a 'house', (82 million single family houses, but 139 million 'housing units'), (I'll use 125 million. So somewhere around $29k per household in added taxes. Subtract the 'savings' from lower welfare payments.... but I can't wait to hear when your property tax goes from $4k to $25k. You get the point.
March 5th, 2021 at 11:02:23 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Hey math guy. Let's say UBI is $12k a year. I think that is a proposal that some have made? So say 300 million Americans qualify. I think that is 3.6 trillion dollars, right? Depending on you define a 'house', (82 million single family houses, but 139 million 'housing units'), (I'll use 125 million. So somewhere around $29k per household in added taxes. Subtract the 'savings' from lower welfare payments.... but I can't wait to hear when your property tax goes from $4k to $25k. You get the point.

Like I said, saying UBI will work is like saying you can get rid of dirt by digging a big hole and burying it. All the math in the world cannot change that fact.
The President is a fink.
Page 3 of 5<12345>