A vocation in a vocation

Page 1 of 161234>Last »
January 27th, 2018 at 12:16:08 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Probably not the best place to get spiritual direction or advice, but I have found the conversations and insights here at times very helpful. I am currently discerning the possibility of religious life and becoming a monk. This is a big change from a diocesan priest. A monk lives in community and gives up all worldly possessions and things to live a life of intense prayer. Right now I'm on the front lines so to speak as a parish priest and this new vocation in a vocation would be a kind of retreat into the monestary. I would miss the active life I live now but the call to be more radically committed to prayer is strong. I of course welcome any thoughts, questions, or comments it might be very helpful in my discernment. God bless!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 27th, 2018 at 12:25:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Right now I'm on the front lines so to speak as a parish priest and this new vocation in a vocation would be a kind of retreat into the monestary!

So you want to serve yourself instead
of others. I think this is a leap forward,
admitting that you come first and not
your god, or the people that follow him
that depend on you. I'm all for religious
people turning their backs on their
'calling' and trying to figure out what
the heck they're doing..

My friend Ed ran away from the priesthood
and became an atheist, he's never regretted
it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 27th, 2018 at 12:26:39 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Wow. I just was not realizing at all this was your direction. I wish the best for you.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 27th, 2018 at 12:38:03 PM permalink
FrGamble
I'm far from making a decision, but it has been on my heart.

Let me also say that this would be a move only to grow closer to God and to more radically serve Him. Becoming a monk is a great service to others and to lose yourself in service of God and others. I view it as the opposite of a selfish act but a more generous gift of self.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 27th, 2018 at 12:41:02 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Probably not the best place to get spiritual direction or advice, but I have found the conversations and insights here at times very helpful. I am currently discerning the possibility of religious life and becoming a monk. This is a big change from a diocesan priest. A monk lives in community and gives up all worldly possessions and things to live a life of intense prayer. Right now I'm on the front lines so to speak as a parish priest and this new vocation in a vocation would be a kind of retreat into the monestary. I would miss the active life I live now but the call to be more radically committed to prayer is strong. I of course welcome any thoughts, questions, or comments it might be very helpful in my discernment. God bless!

Is this one a possibility for you? It took 60 minutes TV program 2 years just to get access to interview them. I believe you have to follow link to youtube to watch

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 27th, 2018 at 1:08:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
Let me also say that this would be a move only to grow closer to God .

Yeah, no.. There is no god to get 'closer'
to, you really want to get closer to yourself
and figure out why you want to continue
being a priest. The retreat is often the first
step to finding a way out and starting the
life where you'll have full use of who you are.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 27th, 2018 at 1:16:57 PM permalink
FrGamble
Evenbob, I don't think you quite understand the vocation to religious life.
January 27th, 2018 at 1:24:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Evenbob, I don't think you quite understand the vocation to religious life.

I understand the point and purpose of
a retreat into prayer and solitude. It's
to clear your head, no matter what reason
you give for it. There is no god, so you
can't get closer to something that doesn't
exist. You want to get closer to yourself,
it's a form of therapy. Heck, it is therapy.
January 27th, 2018 at 1:54:56 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
FrGamble, you must be a glutton for punishment for posting that here. I was going to say that I didn't think self-flagellation was part of the way of life anymore, but it really isn't that. It is more like hanging a "kick me" sign on your back.

I agree with your assessment that this is not the best place to be asking for spiritual advice, and would go even further and suggest that it isn't even a good place for that sort of advice.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 27th, 2018 at 2:07:22 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Some people go to monestaries for a vacation, Its quiet, there is a library, meals are provided, a monastic cell is made available and they make a donation,

So quiet contemplation, philosophy, simple but good food, manual labor (bread, wine, jelly, etc) chores, ... can be a chosen experience for a two or three week vacation. Some choose to stay.

The Problem is the legal relationship, particularly if you want to leave,.

I think you are basically selecting a much smaller and less varied parish. Perhaps you might consider that, Geographically smaller and numerically smaller and I assume less varied,. Perhaps that would be a better path to follow.

Would you join a Benedictine order where you get up at four in the morning? Would you be constantly singing your prayers? Would you be conversing with anyone or be silent?

It is not a life I would ever choose or contemplate choosing.

I guess its like the Pope's considering a talking snake to be real news rather than fake news. Its a fundamental orientation that seems strange to others.
Page 1 of 161234>Last »