1 vote (16.66%)
4 votes (66.66%)
4 votes (66.66%)

6 members have voted

February 3rd, 2018 at 12:29:03 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
In that episode of Seinfeld, where Kramer and Newman were playing Risk, and need to move the game to another place in New York, why didn't they just write down who had how many armies on each country, put the game back in the box, and set it up again from the notes at the new location?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 3rd, 2018 at 12:35:51 PM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
I'm in.
Game 43 is working out the diametric opposite of 42 in the way it is proceeding: More in line with what I expected.
I reckon we will all need a new toolbox of tactics in the 4 card variant.
Is it just me that has to fundamentally change the way I make and interpret my notes?
I think 42 was a bit of an outlier in the way it cascaded info out.
February 3rd, 2018 at 12:47:36 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Maybe I'm not analyzing the game deeply enough, but I'm using the same logical strategy I've always used. The last game I was put to a tough decision to accuse or not. Easy to say in retrospect, I shouldn't have. More chances to blow it with a shaky accusation with the expanded card set.
February 3rd, 2018 at 1:33:06 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I'm in

I think the last game made it pretty clear that the big shortcut to solving 324 possible combinations is alive and well for 2268 as well. However, I too think that it will prove to not be typical as to how fast that happened, the average game could really be long.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 3rd, 2018 at 1:37:13 PM permalink
OnceDear
Quote: Wizard
Maybe I'm not analyzing the game deeply enough, but I'm using the same logical strategy I've always used. The last game I was put to a tough decision to accuse or not. Easy to say in retrospect, I shouldn't have. More chances to blow it with a shaky accusation with the expanded card set.
It's likely I do try to over-analyse: My current workbook has a sheet for each player's POV and an underlying 'everyone knows' sheet. Obviously the POV sheets each have some gaps until I know their cards. That guides me as to when to take a pot-shot.
Previously, records were simple enough and I might see an overlap, such as 'Scarlet holds one of Mustard, Rope, Lounge' and 'Scarlet holds one of White, Rope and Hall'. After a short while we could say we had accounted for un-held cards as all but six cards potentially held by a player, if there was no overlap like that. But now, I'm already seeing that there will be multiple overlaps to be recorded like 'Scarlet has Mustard, Knife, Lounge, or Sunday' and 'Scarlet has White, Rope, Lounge, or Monday' and 'Scarlet has White, Knife, Hall or Friday' . That. to my simple mind is easier to cock up, and harder to interpret. I already see myself making 'hunches' based on behaviour, far more than before, and then testing those hunches.
Time will tell how much disparity of data we will get as the games progress. Previously, we all kept pretty much up to speed. I suspect now we will have to think up and mix up a few strategies such as suggesting 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4! of the cards we hold, or as last time, mimicking a previous suggestion.
It's like learning a new game and a new set of opponents. But then I do over-analyse! Is it just me?
$:o)
February 3rd, 2018 at 1:43:29 PM permalink
OnceDear
I have a design suggestion. Knock me down if it's daft:-

We have a time zone situation, where some of us are just gone to bed while others are just up and waiting eagerly for Mr sleepy to make his move. That's effective time-zone, 'cos some of you work nights.
What if we optimized the play order to cancel out that effect, such that our 'peak availability' times were all laid out in player order? Ie. player order pre-determined and fixed. We'd need to randomly rotate the 'first player' to be fair, and randomise the dummy players within that.
I realise this is a significant design change, but I throw it out as a suggestion to speed up play.
February 3rd, 2018 at 2:30:37 PM permalink
miplet
Threads: 8
I’m in.
I think player order needs to stay random. Some people are more likely to accuse earlier than others. And some are luckier and would hate to follow that person.
"...remind me of clue: Colonel Mustard in the billiard room with the candlestick."- Derek Morgan
February 3rd, 2018 at 2:32:23 PM permalink
OnceDear
Quote: miplet
I’m in.
I think player order needs to stay random. Some people are more likely to accuse earlier than others. And some are luckier and would hate to follow that person.
Good point.
February 3rd, 2018 at 3:11:45 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: miplet
I think player order needs to stay random.

Me too.
February 5th, 2018 at 1:02:54 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

let's get this one going, last call!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
Page 1 of 81234>Last »