1 vote (33.33%)
1 vote (33.33%)
No votes (0%)

3 members have voted

February 6th, 2018 at 7:13:04 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Why do most of the trains on Little House on the Prairie numbered 3?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 7th, 2018 at 1:13:21 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
mornin'. count me in
February 7th, 2018 at 4:24:13 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Novus ordo seclorum = Clue world turned upside down because the dice are kinder to some and meaner to others

I'm in
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 7th, 2018 at 7:58:08 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
45s have a bigger hole because it worked better in slotting them on a Wurlitzer jukebox with the mechanical arm (started late 40s, i think). They were picked up and put down via the hole on most models.

It also worked with the stacking spindle better, on those models that stacked records. The skinny hole would hang up with multiple records on it, but the stacking spindle was wide enough there was room for a retractable collar that let the records down one at a time while holding the others up.

I had a large collection of 45s as a kid. Also a large collection of those plastic resizers that looked like a twisted 3 legged spider. They snapped in and out so you could play your 45s on a multi-speed spindle. There was also a slip-on wide spindle you could put on a skinny-spindle turntable. I had one, but I don't recall it worked that reliably.

They did eventually figure out the skinny spindle stacker. So I guess they could have gone to the small hole, but I guess the resizer was good enough, and all the legacy jukeboxes needed the larger hole.

Funny you would ask. We had family friends who had wonderful adult toys, including the first privately owned Wurlitzer I'd ever seen, and I asked him back then about this. He showed me how the mechanical arm worked, and told me what I'm saying above.

He had other cool toys. He poured his own lead soldiers in molds, and we got to help. I'm remembering the smell of molten lead 50 years later, writing this. They were velvety smooth.

He also had an aquacar. It had a propeller where a trailer hitch would go. He would start it spinning at the water's edge, drive it in, and the propeller would start moving the car right about the point the wheels started floating off the lake bed. It was a convertible, aqua (appropriate )coupe with a white top. Not sure who made it.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 7th, 2018 at 10:32:38 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: beachbumbabs
45s have a bigger hole because it worked better in slotting them on a Wurlitzer jukebox with the mechanical arm ...

Thanks, I did not know that. I recalled a 45 RPM jukebox on the original Happy Days opening. It looks like the record is grabbed from the edges. I have no idea who makes that one. What is you take on the Happy Days machine?

Direct link
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 7th, 2018 at 6:41:11 PM permalink
miplet
Threads: 8
I’m in. That last game was definitely a great one. I never left the Kitchen Study rooms.
"...remind me of clue: Colonel Mustard in the billiard room with the candlestick."- Derek Morgan
February 8th, 2018 at 1:08:41 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Things have changed ........ I'm OUT this game now
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 8th, 2018 at 3:33:36 AM permalink
miplet
Quote: odiousgambit
Ok, hope it’s from good news not bad.
With just the 3 of us we have 3 options
1 play how we have been
2 we each get 8 cards and the dummy’s get none
3 we each get 4 cards and we expose the 12 Dummy cards.
"...remind me of clue: Colonel Mustard in the billiard room with the candlestick."- Derek Morgan
February 8th, 2018 at 3:44:46 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: miplet
Quote: odiousgambit
Ok, hope it’s from good news not bad.
With just the 3 of us we have 3 options
1 play how we have been
2 we each get 8 cards and the dummy’s get none
3 we each get 4 cards and we expose the 12 Dummy cards.

I suggest play as we have with dummies holding 4 cards and spaced out. Their presence adds something to work on.
February 8th, 2018 at 7:49:50 AM permalink
miplet
Here is the list of players for Game 45:
miplet (mip) as Scarlet
Dummy (Dum) as Mustard
Wizard (Wiz) as White
Computer (Com) as Green
OnceDear (OD) as Peacock
Robot (Rob) as Plum

I’ll move in about 30 minutes Incase you want to reorder your cards.
Ok Dummy’s have cards.
Page 1 of 51234>Last »