2018 Winter Olympics PyeongChang

Page 2 of 17<12345>Last »
February 9th, 2018 at 9:16:06 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Sorry, I don't think it's a "sport" when the winner is decided by the opinions of judges. Nobody calls the t.v. show, "The Voice" a "sport", but the competition is settled in much the same way. The winter games seem to have more of these judged performances than the summer.

The motto of the Olympics is "Citius, Altius, Fortius". Seems straightforward to give the gold to the person or team who was the fastest, reached the highest or was the strongest. Check the clock, tape measure, or scoreboard... don't ask a judge's opinion.
February 9th, 2018 at 9:28:11 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Ayecarumba
Sorry, I don't think it's a "sport" when the winner is decided by the opinions of judges.

I knew boxing wasn't a sport.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 9th, 2018 at 10:43:26 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Sorry, I don't think it's a "sport" when the winner is decided by the opinions of judges. Nobody calls the t.v. show, "The Voice" a "sport", but the competition is settled in much the same way. The winter games seem to have more of these judged performances than the summer.

I don't have a problem with it as long as it is competitive and takes physical strength. Thus, I question whether things like archery should be considered a sport, but don't really care. It does bother me when people argue that chess and poker are sports. Give me a break!
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 9th, 2018 at 10:45:16 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

The motto of the Olympics is "Citius, Altius, Fortius". Seems straightforward to give the gold to the person or team who was the fastest, reached the highest or was the strongest. Check the clock, tape measure, or scoreboard... don't ask a judge's opinion.

Quote: Webster-Merriam
sport: n - an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Quote: Wiki
Sport (British English) or sports (American English) includes all forms of competitive physical activity or games which,[1] through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and skills while providing enjoyment to participants, and in some cases, entertainment for spectators

I'm opposed to you, Aye. I get the stance, but I just disagree. Often this argument is pointed at those grey areas. Auto racing. Fishing. Darts. For sure any and all can be done, even at a high level, by a Regular Joe. But's it's that fine tuning, that last 10%, that makes all the difference. A drunk monkey has a <0 chance of bowling a 270, but it's the ability to repeat that over and over and over through intense muscle memory training that turns a $10 outing into a six figure payday. That's physical contest. That's sport.

Billiards, table tennis, darts, due respect to all. Poker can gtfo, though.

Quote: beachbumbabs

I can't believe it's been 30 years since the "Battle of the Brians". Did you see Orser last night in the KnC box? He's coaching the Russian pair, among others.

Boitano still stands up, IMO. Just like someone had to break the 4 min mile or 10 sec 100m, the sport thresholds have to keep getting pushed. He was the best of his time, and still the complete skater. You know better than most of us the micro-judging of edges, flow, and command of your blades that performance shows. Just because it's all about flashy jumping these days doesn't mean they're skilled in the subtleties any more. I think they actually dropped that part from the judging some time ago.

I don't follow religiously, but when I do catch judge based competition, yes, that was my first thought. "They don't seem as technical anymore". The little wiggles or losses of edge seem to disappear under the glare of THE QUAD or triple-triple. It's certainly moved towards exhibition level, IMO, which I suppose is understandable as that's what draws the eyes.

I still pirouette or change direction with a flourish during warm ups. Some habits just don't die. Boitano 4-lyfe =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 9th, 2018 at 10:50:55 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Wizard
I don't have a problem with it as long as it is competitive and takes physical strength. Thus, I question whether things like archery should be considered a sport, but don't really care. It does bother me when people argue that chess and poker are sports. Give me a break!

I know competitive rifle shooters who view strength training as essential.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
February 9th, 2018 at 11:07:01 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The only thing more mind numbingly
boring than the summer games is the
winter snoozefest. No way a bunch of
guys on skates in tight pants turning
each other on can compete with American
Ninja Warrior. The Olympics is a joke
by comparison, puts me literally to sleep.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 9th, 2018 at 11:23:51 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Cant wait for the opening ceremonies tonight
Seen the pictures and it looks like South Korea puts on a great show
I hear the USA team walks in to Gangnam Style being played over the speakers :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 9th, 2018 at 11:49:59 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Face
It's much the same in the freestyle world, whether BMX or motox. Everyone's going beyond huge, pushing the envelope. What used to wow us on TV just 3 years ago is now being done by 12yr olds on YouTube.

Guy with one arm in wheelchair rides motorcycle and does backflip over pit of fire.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 9th, 2018 at 3:25:37 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I can't believe Evenbob just compared the Olympics to Ninja Warrior and then suggested all the athletes are gay. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised anymore by his antics. I reckon that just about every Olympic athlete could win the ninja warrior competition.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 9th, 2018 at 3:31:37 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: FrGamble
I can't believe Evenbob just compared the Olympics to Ninja Warrior and then suggested all the athletes are gay.

I wasn't surprised in the least.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
Page 2 of 17<12345>Last »