2018 Winter Olympics PyeongChang

February 12th, 2018 at 6:10:06 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Face
Dude, it's crazy. I've not done the luge but did the skeleton, which is I suppose the same thing. It's very hard, even with myriad experiences going fast, to explain what it's like. It's such a sensory overload. The track is as rough as anything you've ever ridden on. I'm talking radio flyer down a gravel road at 20mph rough. The corners... your mind cannot conceive of any possible way you can make it. It's like your average amusement park water slide, only you're not going 10 - 15mph but 60 - 70. You've got this cacophony going on all around you, you're flying through this MRI tube faster than you think is possible, and you try to pivot and lean as fast as you can, but then you get mashed by 3-4-5G in the turns. It's IN. SANE.

I did this and the bobsled, wrote about it here but before you showed up. We did the Olympic track in Lake Placid from the halfway point. When I asked to go to the top, he said "No, man, you don't want that". He wasn't joking. You get pounded.

That is what I was saying, the track is computer engineered and all g's factored in and the track is built by people to pretty exact standards. It's not like something found in nature.

Ok, so I'll put a six pack at the bottom if you stay on top of the sled : } It's for America man.

edit; Insanity isn't a sport, or we'd all be medalists.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 12th, 2018 at 6:17:11 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: kenarman
You can stream any event either live or later on the CBC site.

I have never had any success streaming from CBC because of my US location.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 12th, 2018 at 7:16:49 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
You folks waiting for curling, mixed doubles over the weekend were pretty interesting. Look up tie-breaker for China/Norway for an interesting match on NBCSN. Think it's available streaming. The match was to advance to the semifinals after a round Robin pool.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 12th, 2018 at 7:56:49 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Chloe Kim laying it down on the Women's half pipe on her 1st run
She has gold already and does a final run that's even better
amazing at only 17
Here she is as a 13yr old bursting onto the scene winning silver at the X games. yes, 13 yrs old.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 12th, 2018 at 7:57:06 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
As a life long curler playing for 58 years I don't find the mixed doubles format as challenging as the conventional 4 a side curling. The range of shots required and the strategy is not as complex. Having said that there have been many amazing shots made. The strategy in curling is much deeper than most casual observers think. In a tough challenging game you are usually thinking 3 or 4 shots ahead.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 12th, 2018 at 8:08:00 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
As a life long curler playing for 58 years I don't find the mixed doubles format as challenging as the conventional 4 a side curling. The range of shots required and the strategy is not as complex. Having said that there have been many amazing shots made. The strategy in curling is much deeper than most casual observers think. In a tough challenging game you are usually thinking 3 or 4 shots ahead.

I'm starting to see and appreciate that. Very cool that you play.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 12th, 2018 at 8:25:48 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
It is a life sport that many people are able to play into their 80's. If you get too damaged to be able to get down into the hack they have a stick you can deliver the rock with while standing up and walking. So far I can still slide out to the hog line and deliver conventionally. Proper sweeping is full exertion and is a better work out than you might think.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 12th, 2018 at 11:54:41 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
It is a life sport that many people are able to play into their 80's. If you get too damaged to be able to get down into the hack they have a stick you can deliver the rock with while standing up and walking. So far I can still slide out to the hog line and deliver conventionally. Proper sweeping is full exertion and is a better work out than you might think.

Are rocks not manufactured in Scotland allowed in the Olympics? Does each team bring their own, or does the host provide them?
February 13th, 2018 at 2:35:16 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

I'd slip on the ice and break my neck if I tried it.
The President is a fink.
February 13th, 2018 at 2:40:38 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph

Hosting the games is a losing proposition and it keeps getting worse. It is the reason so many of us were saying we hope the USA lost its bid when Obama lobbied for Chicago to get the games way back when. So many things built can never be used to near potential again.

The secret is getting out and more and more places are taking a pass on bidding. There was talk that the Winter Games maybe should just rotate among around 4 places. Bidding now is for suckers who want to show they have arrived on the world scene, like the person in a poor neighborhood buying a new car beyond their means. They may be fun to watch, but have them somewhere else, please.
The President is a fink.