2018 Winter Olympics PyeongChang

February 13th, 2018 at 7:33:36 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Ayecarumba
Are rocks not manufactured in Scotland allowed in the Olympics? Does each team bring their own, or does the host provide them?

Originally all rocks came from two quarries in Scotland. They are pretty much depleted now. There is a quarry in Canada now that is used but the granite is considered inferior to the original quarries. When the running surface of the rock wears down it can be ground down several times before becoming too wide. The solution now because of lack of the perfect granite is too grind out the running surface and put a donut shaped piece of new granite into the bottom of the rock. My club just had it done last summer C$30K for 48 rocks.

There will be a complete set of rocks for the competition at the Olympics, I didn't research who owns them or where they came from. For the top competitions in Canada there is a set of rocks that follows the competitions around. Normally the rocks stay on one sheet and consist of 2 sets. A team can throw their "set" in any order they want. When they are down to the final game the 2 teams are often able to choose between the complete pool of rocks before the game starts and choose the rocks they want to use. The key thing is to have matched pairs so that both rocks a player throws will react and curl the same.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 13th, 2018 at 8:07:29 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Are the rocks numbered? I heard them mention that the teams selected 8 rocks from the whole place, and then during the game after a couple of misses the team switched up the order of their rocks. maybe they put the 'bad' one as one of the pre-placed guards, or she just threw it as her first rock rather than her last rock.

I could see, maybe, being able to track identical looking rocks during a game, but no way you could do that across the different sheets to go back later and pick out the ones that you wanted.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 13th, 2018 at 8:32:01 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I know nothing about the relative merits of Scottish granite vs. other sources. But I had always heard Vermont granite was of the highest quality. I would guess that would be somewhat true for that part of New England and Canada (the same quality of rock in that geographic area). Is there such a difference?

I guess it just proves the adage about water+time wearing down mountains. I would never have guessed a granite face would wear out against ice, as gently as playing action happens.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 13th, 2018 at 8:53:19 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: kenarman
Originally all rocks came from two quarries in Scotland. They are pretty much depleted now. There is a quarry in Canada now that is used but the granite is considered inferior to the original quarries. When the running surface of the rock wears down it can be ground down several times before becoming too wide. The solution now because of lack of the perfect granite is too grind out the running surface and put a donut shaped piece of new granite into the bottom of the rock. My club just had it done last summer C$30K for 48 rocks.

There will be a complete set of rocks for the competition at the Olympics, I didn't research who owns them or where they came from. For the top competitions in Canada there is a set of rocks that follows the competitions around. Normally the rocks stay on one sheet and consist of 2 sets. A team can throw their "set" in any order they want. When they are down to the final game the 2 teams are often able to choose between the complete pool of rocks before the game starts and choose the rocks they want to use. The key thing is to have matched pairs so that both rocks a player throws will react and curl the same.

Thank you for the info. When I see the precision of the “influence” that players can apply, it almost makes me believe that the same could be applied to dice... well, except the sweeping part... hehe.
February 13th, 2018 at 7:37:03 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Sean White, now the old man of snow boarding, puts down an incredible half pipe performance in his last run.
Clutch
These guys get incredible air
One guy from Japan hit the top side of the pipe. Looked pretty ugly as he hit it real hard.
Pairs Figure skating. Saw the North Korean's and was quite impressed by their performance
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 13th, 2018 at 8:22:12 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Dalex64
Are the rocks numbered? I heard them mention that the teams selected 8 rocks from the whole place, and then during the game after a couple of misses the team switched up the order of their rocks. maybe they put the 'bad' one as one of the pre-placed guards, or she just threw it as her first rock rather than her last rock.

I could see, maybe, being able to track identical looking rocks during a game, but no way you could do that across the different sheets to go back later and pick out the ones that you wanted.

Yes the rocks are numbered. For the final the players can go out and throw any rocks in the rink they want in practice to come up with ones they like. The handles and plastic tops are then changed so that each team has a consistent and opposite colour.

If the team finds a rock during the game that is not curling the same as the rest they will throw it as the first rock so that any misses are not as critical as later in the end.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 13th, 2018 at 10:23:52 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
mixed doubles curling is weird.

2 players per team, 5 rocks per end per team.

the thrower in most cases is jumping out front and sweeping his own rock.

I'm surprised you Americans know what curling is!!!
Frankly, is it a winter sport worthy of the Olympics? I don't think so.
February 13th, 2018 at 10:29:36 PM permalink
boymimbo
Quote: AZDuffman
I have never heard this. Sounds like the usual ploy of the gay community trying to claim someone famous as one of their own.

I thought that was a ploy of the right to call someone gay just to insult them. (aka Bob saying inside sources about HRC).
February 13th, 2018 at 10:32:57 PM permalink
boymimbo
Quote: ams288
I'm by no means a figure skating expert, but I think it's a risk-reward calculation. Doing a triple axel is a high risk move that few women can successfully do. When you get to the Olympics, I think most women would rather do a clean routine than risk a fall.

With all of the scoring controversy they have evolved the technical scoring to a science. It is better to complete all of the rotations of a quad, for example, and fall, then to complete 2.5 revolutions of a triple, and land it cleanly. This is why you see more falls - your technical score will be higher if you attempt something and fall rather then do simpler jumps and look very nice.
February 13th, 2018 at 10:37:56 PM permalink
boymimbo
I have never had any success streaming from CBC because of my US location.

NBC Sports app has everything pretty much live.