2018 Winter Olympics PyeongChang

February 12th, 2018 at 2:20:16 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 108
Posts: 8265
Quote: Wizard
Why didn't Tonya Harding do one in the 2000 or 2002 winter Olympics? They mentioned in the movie, I Tonya, she was the first American skater to reach that level.


??

Wasn't she 86ed after 1994? I read she cannot even coach as she is in the figure skating black book, not even allowed to show up at a competition.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
February 12th, 2018 at 5:55:50 AM permalink
ams288
Member since: Apr 21, 2016
Threads: 15
Posts: 3070
Quote: Wizard
Why didn't Tonya Harding do one in the 2000 or 2002 winter Olympics? They mentioned in the movie, I Tonya, she was the first American skater to reach that level.


I'm by no means a figure skating expert, but I think it's a risk-reward calculation. Doing a triple axel is a high risk move that few women can successfully do. When you get to the Olympics, I think most women would rather do a clean routine than risk a fall.
In order to insult me, I must first value your opinion
February 12th, 2018 at 6:28:55 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Member since: Oct 23, 2012
Threads: 200
Posts: 4679
Quote: AZDuffman
??

Wasn't she 86ed after 1994? I read she cannot even coach as she is in the figure skating black book, not even allowed to show up at a competition.


You're right. She competed in 92 and 94.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 12th, 2018 at 6:43:54 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 108
Posts: 8265
Quote: Wizard
You're right. She competed in 92 and 94.


2000 might have been when she beat up Paula Jones :-)
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
February 12th, 2018 at 7:17:03 AM permalink
Dalex64
Member since: Mar 8, 2014
Threads: 2
Posts: 2473
My wife pointed out that, while this skater did a triple axel, there was another feat by a Russian skater.

Aparently you get bonus points for doing jumps in the last 2 minutes of your routine.
You also get bonus points for doing the jumps with your hands up over your head instead of wrapped around your body.

The Russian skater did ALL of her jumps in the last two minutes, each time with her hands over her head.

I couldn't find a page with score results to see how she did compared to the others.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 12th, 2018 at 9:36:31 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Member since: Sep 3, 2013
Threads: 5
Posts: 1465
Quote: Dalex64
My wife pointed out that, while this skater did a triple axel, there was another feat by a Russian skater.

Aparently you get bonus points for doing jumps in the last 2 minutes of your routine.
You also get bonus points for doing the jumps with your hands up over your head instead of wrapped around your body.

The Russian skater did ALL of her jumps in the last two minutes, each time with her hands over her head.

I couldn't find a page with score results to see how she did compared to the others.


She killed it. She won by 20 points over the American (who finished 2nd), and it was the American's best lifetime score by 5 points. Something like 194 to 173, third 172, 4th and 5th distant.

She's 15. And she's likely to win the gold, even over her 17yo Russian rival, who.won the short program.

We were sitting there silent in awe. Her routine was so interesting. Not elegant choreography, but she was grace itself. Very long arms and legs, tiny torso, used to very good effect. Perfect posture and core strength throughout. Probably worth youtubing that performance.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 12th, 2018 at 10:31:38 AM permalink
JimRockford
Member since: Sep 18, 2015
Threads: 2
Posts: 384
Just to bring the level of discourse down a few notches, Canadian skater Tessa Virtue is gorgeous.
February 12th, 2018 at 10:43:13 AM permalink
terapined
Member since: Aug 6, 2014
Threads: 44
Posts: 4004
Quote: JimRockford
Just to bring the level of discourse down a few notches, Canadian skater Tessa Virtue is gorgeous.


On that note
How about the North Korea Cheerleaders
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 12th, 2018 at 10:50:22 AM permalink
petroglyph
Member since: Aug 3, 2014
Threads: 18
Posts: 3040
Quote: JimRockford
Just to bring the level of discourse down a few notches, Canadian skater Tessa Virtue is gorgeous.
I think Gabrielle Dailman is hotter.

https://www.instagram.com/gabby_daleman/?hl=en
Everyone gets thrown from the plane to maintain altitude
February 12th, 2018 at 11:05:10 AM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 121
Posts: 14913
NBC’s Olympics Ratings Dip On First Sunday Of 2018 Games From 2014 & 2010

Told I'm not the only one not
watching. Could be the lowest
rated Olympics ever. It's a
borefest, watch Ninja Warrior
for the real athletes..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.