2018 Winter Olympics PyeongChang

February 12th, 2018 at 11:20:43 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: ams288
I'm by no means a figure skating expert, but I think it's a risk-reward calculation. Doing a triple axel is a high risk move that few women can successfully do. When you get to the Olympics, I think most women would rather do a clean routine than risk a fall.

I've seen it described as "high risk, medium reward" for women. If you botch it you could blow your whole routine, but the exhaustion from doing it successfully may take away your energy from doing other maneuvers which will get you more points.
February 12th, 2018 at 11:35:12 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
While the media goes gaga over the
Kim sister, is anybody asking who's
doing her day job while she's gone,
overseeing the genocide of N Koreans?
She's the one in charge of life and death,
when she's not posing for mag covers.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 12th, 2018 at 11:40:38 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Pacomartin
I've seen it described as "high risk, medium reward" for women. If you botch it you could blow your whole routine, but the exhaustion from doing it successfully may take away your energy from doing other maneuvers which will get you more points.
I appears to me watching the mens downhill snowboarding competition, that doing wild and difficult maneuvers, [triple flips plus], that if they flub, they lose. So one wonders why they attempt such difficult maneuvers? It looks like the athletes either attempt those moves or lose. They may fall and lose, but the winners all so something really wild, that win. So the attempt has to be made, to do the supremely difficult.

Play it safe with no errors, and lose anyway, or go for the gold with incredibly hard maneuvers and maybe succeed?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 12th, 2018 at 11:43:59 AM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Evenbob
While the media goes gaga over the
Kim sister,
For a second there I thought you were talking about Khloe, and did a wth. hehe
February 12th, 2018 at 11:44:19 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Global Warming is interfering with the
games, it's so cold and windy they had
to postpone a bunch of them. Darn that
warming..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 12th, 2018 at 11:49:49 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Bob, every Olympic athlete could do what the so called "ninja warriors" do, but none of the ninjas could do anything the Olympians can do, does that tell you something?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 12th, 2018 at 11:57:17 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: FrGamble
Bob, every Olympic athlete could do what the so called "ninja warriors" do, but none of the ninjas could do anything the Olympians can do, does that tell you something?

Some of the ninja warriors ARE former Olympians, FYI.

https://nypost.com/2016/08/04/why-olympians-flock-to-american-ninja-warrior/
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 12th, 2018 at 11:58:37 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Pacomartin

I assume they are prepared to alter routines slightly depending on their point standings. Especially from 4th place on up.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 12th, 2018 at 12:08:58 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
A triple axel the highest base-valued triple jump, above other triple jumps such as the
triple toe loop (4.1 points)
triple salchow (4.2 points)
triple loop (5.1 points)
triple flip (5.3 points)
triple lutz (6.0 points)

double axel (3.3 points) Most female skaters perform this.
triple axel (8.5 points) Male skaters normally perform this. Only eight female skaters have landed this in international competitions.

Quote: petroglyph
It looks like the athletes either attempt those moves or lose.

Obviously the coaches look at the potential value for the entire routine. While the points for the triple axel are very high, they have to balance that against the possibility of a fall. Although Tonya Harding completed the TA in competition, we don't know how often she fell in practice or even how many times she failed in competition.
February 12th, 2018 at 12:09:35 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: FrGamble
And the Olympians turn down the million dollar prize, why? "The season concluded with a victory: Geoff Britten was the first to complete Stage 4 with a second remaining; however, Isaac Caldiero achieved the Stage 4 rope climb in a faster time and was awarded the grand prize of $1,000,000 and the title of "American Ninja Warr"