2018 Winter Olympics PyeongChang

February 12th, 2018 at 3:18:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
I'm going to ask you nicely to quit hijacking this thread. Please make a new thread for Ninja Warriors to save me the trouble of splitting this thread. Thank you.

I was just pointing out the difference
between a real sport where you're
judged on your actual ability, and
not the whims of a bunch of crooked
paid off judges like in the Olympics.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 12th, 2018 at 3:26:31 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Dalex64
You like curling, too?

I'm upset that the Canadian sports network TSN bought most of the rights to most of the sports in Canada. I only get CBC, and they have ended up with much less sports coverage.

For one thing that means less curling on television.

CBC still has lots of Olympics coverage, though. It is good to have more viewing choices.

I do. Couple of years ago I visited a buddy in mid-March. We asked the guy at the bar to put CBC on. We are watching and the manager see it on, apologizes and goes to change it. We tell him not to.

"You guys WANT to watch this?"
"We asked."
"Really?"
Buddy's Wife: "Just leave them alone and keep moving, you don't bother them they won't bother you." (like she is talking to guests at the zoo.)

I like it because it is everything most sports are not. Slower paced and about skill not speed/strength. I mainly like the Women's, not the Men's so much. I like it because it drives people nuts when you do. Woman supervisor asks us to guess her favorite sport. People are yelling out sports, I yell "Curling!" One of those wait a second and she yells back, "CURLING???"

Way out some dude says he's Canadian and thought it was cool.
The President is a fink.
February 12th, 2018 at 3:31:11 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
I thought Luge was insane, then I saw 2-Man Luge.

2 days until Curling!
I have always watched a little curling. Watching Bill Burr pantomime Curling, in one of his skits will make it even more entertaining for me to watch some.

I wondered how Luge became a sport worthy of the Olympics? I can see all kinds of skiing, but just riding a sled, on a track engineered and manually created, doesn't seem like a sport. It's almost like we could mount Face on a sled at the top and tell him to "hang on"? He might win.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 12th, 2018 at 4:19:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
I have always watched a little curling. Watching Bill Burr pantomime Curling, in one of his skits will make it even more entertaining for me to watch some..

I'd post that hilarious video but he
also mocks Xtionity in it and uses
lots of F words. But the curling part
is right on..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 12th, 2018 at 4:52:44 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Dalex64
You like curling, too?

I'm upset that the Canadian sports network TSN bought most of the rights to most of the sports in Canada. I only get CBC, and they have ended up with much less sports coverage.

For one thing that means less curling on television.

CBC still has lots of Olympics coverage, though. It is good to have more viewing choices.

You can stream any event either live or later on the CBC site.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 12th, 2018 at 4:56:41 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I have always watched a little curling. Watching Bill Burr pantomime Curling, in one of his skits will make it even more entertaining for me to watch some.

Well, I do not live curling, but every year like to catch some. I don't ring cow bells or anything.
The President is a fink.
February 12th, 2018 at 5:27:19 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

I wondered how Luge became a sport worthy of the Olympics? I can see all kinds of skiing, but just riding a sled, on a track engineered and manually created, doesn't seem like a sport. It's almost like we could mount Face on a sled at the top and tell him to "hang on"? He might win.

I enjoy watching curling
Have to admit I only watch it during the Olympics but it is interesting to watch

There was some strategy in Luge that helped the USA win luge
Its so cold that the track is especially hard.
Therefore any mistakes are magnified
Many of the riders were conservative on their lines
Chris Mazdzer was aggressive and therefore won Silver

Watching Women's half-pipe right now.
wow, the air they get is incredible
Such a cool sport
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 12th, 2018 at 5:27:42 PM permalink
petroglyph
Ouch, ten large. https://www.yahoo.com/sports/south-korea-likely-lose-10-billion-hosting-2018-winter-olympics-112206104.html
February 12th, 2018 at 5:29:46 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: terapined
Watching Women's half-pipe right now.
wow, the air they get is incredible
Such a cool sport
I agree with you and the athleticism of the half pipe.

I still think we should tape Face on a sled and see how he does : )
February 12th, 2018 at 5:32:48 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

Dude, it's crazy. I've not done the luge but did the skeleton, which is I suppose the same thing. It's very hard, even with myriad experiences going fast, to explain what it's like. It's such a sensory overload. The track is as rough as anything you've ever ridden on. I'm talking radio flyer down a gravel road at 20mph rough. The corners... your mind cannot conceive of any possible way you can make it. It's like your average amusement park water slide, only you're not going 10 - 15mph but 60 - 70. You've got this cacophony going on all around you, you're flying through this MRI tube faster than you think is possible, and you try to pivot and lean as fast as you can, but then you get mashed by 3-4-5G in the turns. It's IN. SANE.

I did this and the bobsled, wrote about it here but before you showed up. We did the Olympic track in Lake Placid from the halfway point. When I asked to go to the top, he said "No, man, you don't want that". He wasn't joking. You get pounded.

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.