Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
I lost a friend because of that disgusting
habit. He carried a paper cup everywhere
so he could spit in it, and his teeth were
brown from the tobacco. It made me ill
to be around him and I wrote him out
of my life.

I had a roommate left spit cups in various places hidden from his girlfriend. I would put them on his dresser. I did not need to be told it caused cancer, I just found it disgusting, all the spit.
The President is a fink.
February 14th, 2018 at 11:41:22 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Wizard
I'm thinking you have to quit all tobacco products, including vaping, for some period of time at least three months. I'd suggest even money with a bet in the $50 to $100 range.

I'm certainly open to this. Was wondering if we could do something more akin to actions we have to take. I forget why but once you went to the Cathedral to light candles for people. I don't know what you might have me do but I don't plan on losing this one (famous last words). Let me know what you think.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 14th, 2018 at 12:00:26 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
If tobacco addiction could be overcome by $100, we'd have to redefine "addiction".

My max offered has been $2k. I didn't even waste my time considering it.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 14th, 2018 at 12:44:07 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Face
If tobacco addiction could be overcome by $100, we'd have to redefine "addiction".

My max offered has been $2k. I didn't even waste my time considering it.
What's your longest time without?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 14th, 2018 at 2:11:20 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: FrGamble
I'm certainly open to this. Was wondering if we could do something more akin to actions we have to take. I forget why but once you went to the Cathedral to light candles for people. I don't know what you might have me do but I don't plan on losing this one (famous last words). Let me know what you think.

Yes, I enjoyed the experience so much I lit a few more since then.

I know you don't smoke but tobacco has caused untold number of deaths by lung disease. In that spirit, I'm suggesting I do the 2018 Scale the Stratosphere and I'll make a $500 donation to the American Lung Association as part of the conditions to do it. It's coming up so I'm putting you on the spot to succeed. We will have to think of some kind of serious penance if you fail. It's coming up on the 25th so I have to act quickly. I'll do it on your word of honor you will give it your best effort to quit for at least three months and there will be a punishment TBD if you fail.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 14th, 2018 at 2:22:54 PM permalink
Face
Quote: petroglyph
What's your longest time without?

18yrs. Ain't missed a day since.
February 14th, 2018 at 2:26:00 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Face
18yrs. Ain't missed a day since.

Are you serious? I have had a cold this week and skipped at least two days this week.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 14th, 2018 at 3:25:12 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Wizard
Yes, I enjoyed the experience so much I lit a few more since then.

I know you don't smoke but tobacco has caused untold number of deaths by lung disease. In that spirit, I'm suggesting I do the 2018 Scale the Stratosphere and I'll make a $500 donation to the American Lung Association as part of the conditions to do it. It's coming up so I'm putting you on the spot to succeed. We will have to think of some kind of serious penance if you fail. It's coming up on the 25th so I have to act quickly. I'll do it on your word of honor you will give it your best effort to quit for at least three months and there will be a punishment TBD if you fail.

You're on! Thanks for the challenge!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 14th, 2018 at 3:38:15 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: FrGamble
You're on! Thanks for the challenge!

I'm sorry Padre, I forgot I have to be at a funeral in the Los Angeles area the day before and will probably not return to Vegas until late the next day.

Let's think of a plan B.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 14th, 2018 at 3:58:55 PM permalink
Face
Quote: DRich
Are you serious? I have had a cold this week and skipped at least two days this week.

I'm a determined individual =p

It's not even a question. I know I have never missed a day since summer of '99. Was sick as a dog this week, too. Still banged down 30 a day. Christ, man, I smoke on the ice where allowed. You know the guy you see sucking one down through his trach hole? Say "hi", cuz he is me.

In perhaps the weirdest coincidence of the week, I did call the NYS quit line today. That call represents the entirety of my efforts to quit over the last... 19yrs.

Nineteen years. F#$% me.
Page 2 of 6<12345>Last »