Untested: I'd give my life for those kids.

Page 1 of 51234>Last »
Poll
8 votes (53.33%)
1 vote (6.66%)
6 votes (40%)

15 members have voted

February 23rd, 2018 at 7:08:54 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Parkland incident. The armed guard presumably chickened out.

I'd like to think I wouldn't have chickened out, but that is untested. I feel like I would have at least tried to get in and try to get a shot from behind cover. You? Vote.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/feb/22/stoneman-douglas-shooting-armed-guard-did-not-go-in
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 23rd, 2018 at 7:15:36 AM permalink
odiousgambit
For one thing, it seems like 9 times out of 10 they turn the gun on themselves once they think the cops are there.
February 23rd, 2018 at 7:18:14 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I am sure I would have been in the building doing what I could. I have already put myself in danger to save strangers.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 23rd, 2018 at 7:47:13 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: kenarman
I have already put myself in danger to save strangers.
Ain't you never heard "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"? Try to find a short story entitled Question of Values. Two real estate developers are out in the desert. A flash flood sweep three youths past the site, the developers rescue two, the third drowns and is swept downstream. One developer doesn't want to build on the site, the other developer kills him to keep him silent about a half million dollar deal. Then he goes in to the shed with the two kids and one of them comes out with a knife and kills the developer for the sixty dollars in his wallet.

Remember the form a perimeter and contain the situation used to be the official policy so the security officer may indeed have been following his training.

.38 caliber six shooter against an assault rifle.... better get real close and that's hard to do if you are in uniform and known as a security officer. Come up from behind? You think crazed shooters only look in one direction?

And whose lives are you saving? The lives of overpaid, arrogant teachers who cause these things to happen? The lives of kids already living on welfare handouts for hot meals?
February 23rd, 2018 at 8:05:43 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: Fleastiff

38 caliber six shooter against an assault rifle.... the security officer may indeed have been following his training.

good points. In a shooting match he would have lost in most situations I can picture. And he may have been following his stupid instructions, if so he got thrown under the bus.

These shooters absolutely want only the completely helpless for victims, that much is clear. We don't know if just the armed guy going in might have been enough to make the shooter flee or commit suicide.
February 23rd, 2018 at 8:15:00 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
These shooters absolutely want only the completely helpless for victims, that much is clear. We don't know if just the armed guy going in might have been enough to make the shooter flee or commit suicide.

Simply hearing shots fired might be enough to keep a shooter from willfully advancing to find more victims.

Might not even have to be a real gun.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 23rd, 2018 at 8:52:04 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Fleastiff

And whose lives are you saving? The lives of overpaid, arrogant teachers who cause these things to happen? The lives of kids already living on welfare handouts for hot meals?

Trying to win lowest of the low post?
February 23rd, 2018 at 9:06:31 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
I voted chicken, which is why I am not a security guard. It's also why I am not a soldier. The idea of taking another one's life, even in protection, is sickening to me. Actually, any person, even the bravest, when faced with that situation and forced to execute someone has a very high chance of getting PTSD and other mental disorders from the experience. It's one of the toughest things I would think for anyone to do.

Now if my wife or daughter was in there, it would be different.

Bawk bawk. Damned straight bawk bawk.
February 23rd, 2018 at 11:28:52 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I voted chicken.

I've never fired a gun in my life. I ain't volunteering to go up against a crazy with an AR-15.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 23rd, 2018 at 11:36:31 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
I voted chicken.

I've never fired a gun in my life. I ain't volunteering to go up against a crazy with an AR-15.

I voted chicken
I have fired hand guns and high powered rifles
Had a friend lives out in Northern Idaho I visited and played with his guns

I don't own a gun and have never been in a situation where my life was threatened
In a dangerous situation, I imagine I would look for cover and try to survive

If I was pulling down 75k to protect a school and armed, damm right I would go in
If you go for that job, you have to go in
That's why I don't apply for that job
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
Page 1 of 51234>Last »