Page 1 of 41234>
March 8th, 2018 at 7:05:43 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Anybody shop there?
Grand opening in my neighborhood today
I heard its a German Grocery store chain here in the USA that's doing well
Just opened next to the new Costco
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 8th, 2018 at 7:12:31 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Aldi doesn't sell most brand name foods. Their own packaging and in-house brands only. Some good prices in fresh fruits and vegetables. Some good meat, some cheap meat, usually no intersection between the two. Bring your own bags/boxes, at least at mine.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
March 8th, 2018 at 7:23:14 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
LOVE Aldi

No name brands for the most part, all store brands. And everything I have gotten there has been fantastic...just as good or better than normal brands.

A lot of things are significantly cheaper too. I’ve filled my cart to the max for under $120.

Bring bags, a quarter to unlock a cart, and cash or a debit card. Some do not take credit cards, although mine recently started to.

If you like chicken tikka masala, get their jar of the simmer sauce. It’s just as good as anything I’ve had in high end Indian restaurants.
March 8th, 2018 at 7:32:09 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Aldi is good if you don't mind buying off brand stuff.

They are talking about building one 2 minutes away from my place. The only other one is completely on the other side of town so I never shop there.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 8th, 2018 at 7:46:08 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
One Aldi is right next door to a walmart. Each survives. Aldi is said to have no variety, large sized products, no options. If it there, you buy it or you don't. No alternative sizes or brands.
I think it was WSJ that recently reviewed them a few months ago.
March 8th, 2018 at 8:31:32 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Aldi, and it's European Cousin Lidl have been in the UK a decade or so. They started out cheap and unfashionable, but have swayed opinion with prices.
It started here with unrecognisable brands and very good pricing. It employs minimal staff, who I must say are hyper efficient. I've never seen checkouts operate anywhere near as fast and I used to know an ALDI manager. The ethos is ruthless cost-cutting, but with equally ruthless efficiency built in.
Eventually, ALDI shook the incumbent big supermarkets Tesco and ASDA ( wall mart) to the core. ALDI is now recognised as one of the best and cheapest supermarkets and rightly so. They still stock lots of non-brand and unknown products, but are starting to stock known names in a few core basket items.
One thing ALDI is not good at in the UK is date marking fresh fruit and Veg. All other supermarkets date stamp packaged fresh fruit and veg with sell by, use by, or best before dates. ALDI does poor stock rotation there and labels with obtuse coding.

As an aside, European ALDIs have frequent non-grocery 'products of the week' such as tools, cycle gear, hardware etc. There are some fantastic bargains to be had.

If The US gets ALDI, then look out walmart and costco, your days of dominance are numbered.
March 8th, 2018 at 8:44:38 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: OnceDear
It started here with unrecognisable brands and very good pricing. It employs minimal staff, who I must say are hyper efficient. I've never seen checkouts operate anywhere near as fast and I used to know an ALDI manager. The ethos is ruthless cost-cutting, but with equally ruthless efficiency built in.

Some people are annoyed by the lack of bags, but I think that is the secret to the ultra efficient checkouts. A long line at Aldi is a 5 minute ordeal where the same line at Walmart would be 20-30mins.

Most Grocery stores like Walmart eliminated dedicated baggers years ago to cut costs. But now with cashiers both scanning and bagging EVERY item, the line (I think you people call it a queue =P) takes years. The girls at Aldi scan and toss an entire order back into the cart in like 30 seconds tops. Speaking of, for whatever reason, I've never seen a single male employee at my local Aldi.
March 8th, 2018 at 9:06:51 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

If The US gets ALDI, then look out walmart and costco, your days of dominance are numbered.

ALDI already has over 1600 stores in the U.S.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 8th, 2018 at 9:31:13 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
One Aldi is right next door to a walmart. Each survives. Aldi is said to have no variety, large sized products, no options. If it there, you buy it or you don't. No alternative sizes or brands.
I think it was WSJ that recently reviewed them a few months ago.

Each has its own market. I hit Aldi only once in awhile. A few things I like, others not so much. Checkouts used to take forever, but since they have more stores now not so much.

The ethos is ruthless cost-cutting, but with equally ruthless efficiency built in.

Funny how when WMT does this people say it is a bad thing. How long until Aldi is the evil empire I wonder?
The President is a fink.
March 8th, 2018 at 10:35:07 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Aldi is a store I kept hearing about and
when I finally went, bought nothing.
Walmart is cheaper, faster, more convenient.
Aldi is a place that has 90 kinds of coffee,
or 11 kinds of cream cheese. Who cares.

Costco is another one that's worthless to
me. I'm not buying for a family of 12
immigrants, why would I want 30 of something.
Walmart is cheaper, and Costco is always
(always} jammed, like it's the Fri before
Xmas.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 1 of 41234>