Aldi Grocery store

Page 3 of 4<1234>
March 11th, 2018 at 7:47:21 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: gamerfreak
Everyone is different.

I can’t stand delivery services like hello chef. It’s stupid expensive at $10/meal to cook at home. And maybe I’m just fat but I think the portions are usually small as well.

10 bucks a meal is not really expensive
I went out a few nights ago to have fast food and spent about 8 bucks (1st time in a couple months due to eating delivered food)
I go to a average restaurant, spend at least 20 bucks
More at a nicer restaurant
I agree the portions can be off
Most times portions just right
Sometimes not enough and I add something simple on the side myself such as garlic bread or cook some potatoes
A few times, big portions and I make 3 meals out of 2

Best thing to me about Plated, Hello Fresh is that I am eating right
Healthy, tasty, fresh, good restaurant quality food
Otherwise I would gorge on fast food and take out
At my age, I really really need to eat healthy and I am accomplishing that with Hello Fresh and Plated

I ended Home Chef. They use FedEx. Marjory Stoneman Douglas students have convinced me not to do business with Fedex
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 11th, 2018 at 8:47:32 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: terapined

Best thing to me about Plated, Hello Fresh is that I am eating right
Healthy, tasty, fresh, good restaurant quality food
Otherwise I would gorge on fast food and take out
At my age, I really really need to eat healthy and I am accomplishing that with Hello Fresh and Plated

I ended Home Chef. They use FedEx. Marjory Stoneman Douglas students have convinced me not to do business with Fedex

Yeah, menu planning is a real problem. I hate recipes that say one third of a finely chopped shallot.
I ain't got the patience to chop it much less chop it finely and what would I do with the other two thirds and probably I wouldn't be able to recognize the item in the grocery store anyway.

What does fedex have to do with that school that got shot up?
March 11th, 2018 at 9:41:11 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Fleastiff

What does fedex have to do with that school that got shot up?

http://www.businessinsider.com/nra-boycott-amazon-apple-and-fedex-2018-2
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 11th, 2018 at 10:17:05 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: terapined
http://www.businessinsider.com/nra-boycott-amazon-apple-and-fedex-2018-2

FedEx because they specifically offer a discount to NRA members...maybe...

But Apple and Amazon because they allow for an NRA channel? That is beyond stupid. Using that logic you’d have to google, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn...anyone who indexes NRA related material. Way too far.
March 11th, 2018 at 12:12:45 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
FedEx because they specifically offer a discount to NRA members...maybe...

But Apple and Amazon because they allow for an NRA channel? That is beyond stupid. Using that logic you’d have to google, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn...anyone who indexes NRA related material. Way too far.

Boycott a place because they offer a discount to members of a group that defends constitutional rights? Whatever.
The President is a fink.
March 11th, 2018 at 12:16:36 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I think $10 a "meal" is criminal, based on portion size as they have it. Really more like $20/meal/person.

But if you usually eat in restaurants once or twice a week, it's not bad compared to them.

I cook. My mom cooks. My ex-husband cooks
My average grocery is less than $10/day per person, even with some pre-packaged freezer meals. They're doing amazing things with frozen foods now. When I was a kid, it was ghastly aluminum covered trays with overprocessed, lame food. There's been so much cryogenic improvement, you really.can't tell the difference between fresh and frozen on most things. (Obv salads don't freeze well).

If you have an oven, crock pot, skillet, grill-pan, and a good sized freezer, you can fix fantastic meals for next to nothing. You will pay back the cost of the freezer within a year. (Vs. Restaurant prices)
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
March 11th, 2018 at 12:28:28 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: beachbumbabs

I cook. My mom cooks. My ex-husband cooks
My average grocery is less than $10/day per person, even with some pre-packaged freezer meals. They're doing amazing things with frozen foods now. When I was a kid, it was ghastly aluminum covered trays with overprocessed, lame food. There's been so much cryogenic improvement, you really.can't tell the difference between fresh and frozen on most things. (Obv salads don't freeze well).

If you have an oven, crock pot, skillet, grill-pan, and a good sized freezer, you can fix fantastic meals for next to nothing. You will pay back the cost of the freezer within a year. (Vs. Restaurant prices)

The hard thing is when you live alone a few things happen. One, it is way easier to get lazy about cooking. The other is the bane of the single person, wasted food. I keep getting better at it but fall off the wagon time to time. I keep truing new ideas, though. Next is to freeze chili. Instead of being tired of it on day 3, make a bunch, freeze it, then reheat once a week.

Last year I made it a goal to stop buying lunch so often. Made a list of 20 or so ideas. Got laid off 2 days later! Can't really pack lunch now, but having ideas for dinner makes the difference. Keep trying to get off processed food, one step at a time.
The President is a fink.
March 11th, 2018 at 1:27:40 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Quote: AZDuffman
Boycott a place because they offer a discount to members of a group that defends constitutional rights? Whatever.

I’m a 2A supporter but I think the NRA is sh*ty for a variety of reasons. Offering discounts to members is an explicit endorsement. DT has called for boycotts for lesser reasons. But that is a discussion for a different thread.

I think most of the meals from hello fresh and others could be done for $5 or less per portion of you went out and bought the ingredients yourself. You are paying about double for the convenice of it, which is fine. But personally I’m a weirdo and actually enjoy grocery shopping.

Most of the recipes they send are really good though.
March 11th, 2018 at 1:33:03 PM permalink
AZDuffman
I’m a 2A supporter but I think the NRA is sh*ty for a variety of reasons. Offering discounts to members is an explicit endorsement. DT has called for boycotts for lesser reasons. But that is a discussion for a different thread.

Each his own. I avoid Target.

Quote:
I think most of the meals from hello fresh and others could be done for $5 or less per portion of you went out and bought the ingredients yourself. You are paying about double for the convenice of it, which is fine. But personally I’m a weirdo and actually enjoy grocery shopping.

Most of the recipes they send are really good though.

Well, that is the idea. I like grocery shopping as well. I just have to control myself with things that go bad. I broke down and bought a cherry pitter, can't wait for June to load up and freeze.
The President is a fink.
March 11th, 2018 at 1:49:06 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Quote: AZDuffman
Each his own. I avoid Target.

Well, that is the idea. I like grocery shopping as well. I just have to control myself with things that go bad. I broke down and bought a cherry pitter, can't wait for June to load up and freeze.

FWIW I’m not actively boycott anything. I just meant that I can see why they’d boycott fedex but Apple and amazon are a little ridiculous.

I’ve gone to mostly frozen or canned veggies for the same reason. They’re not as good but at least I’m not throwing half of what I buy away.

I usually freeze meat as soon as I buy it as well, and either thaw it in the refrigerator if I plan far enough ahead of time, or a cold water bath if I don’t.
Page 3 of 4<1234>