Aldi Grocery store

Page 4 of 4<1234
March 11th, 2018 at 2:18:38 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Every time I used to go to Barnes and Noble I'd cruise by the cookbook table with all these One Pot, Two Minutes, Three Ingredients type stuff or the paleo combinations that look so tempting.... then I'd go home and defrost a Chef Michelina or something.

Though I'll admit I've recently discovered salas or even just the bagged lettuce to which I add a dollop of cottage cheese. Its cheap and while cottage cheese is best if refrigerated, it can stand the Florida sun for awhile.
March 11th, 2018 at 2:18:38 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
The problem is indeed laziness, but a lot of plastic containers will diminish the waste as long as you label them

Impulse purchases are a problem.. bought a jar of Kim Chi and I still don't know what I should use it on. Rice? Apples? Pizza? Macaroni and cheese?

I'm trying to track down a cookbook on 'cooking herbs' rather than cooking with herbs, that is herbs as ingredients not condiments. Saw some random jotting abut a cook mentioning it and now I can't track it down at all.
March 11th, 2018 at 3:16:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
Keep trying to get off processed food, one step at a time.

Don't even get me started. I eat zero
processed foods now, for the last 2
years. Whole foods only, veggies
and meat or fish. Best thing I did
was get an Instant Pot pressure
cooker. These things are miraculous,
they make meals very fast and are
almost impossible to screw up.

I buy everything I need for the week
on Sunday, have a meal plan for
every day and stick to it. No waste,
I eat everything. No carbs except
what's in the low carb veggies. Lots
of things like eggs and avocados
and cheese and green salads. No
processed food EVER. No eating out
unless I'm forced to.

You don't know how shitty your diet
is making you feel until you change
it for the better.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 11th, 2018 at 3:18:49 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: gamerfreak

I’ve gone to mostly frozen or canned veggies for the same reason. They’re not as good but at least I’m not throwing half of what I buy away.

I usually freeze meat as soon as I buy it as well, and either thaw it in the refrigerator if I plan far enough ahead of time, or a cold water bath if I don’t.

I avoid canned, keep cans for the bunker in case of personal or general disaster. Then again, I do use some, like tomatoes. But some just no way, they killed all the taste.

Quote: Fleastiff
Every time I used to go to Barnes and Noble I'd cruise by the cookbook table with all these One Pot, Two Minutes, Three Ingredients type stuff or the paleo combinations that look so tempting.... then I'd go home and defrost a Chef Michelina or something.

Though I'll admit I've recently discovered salas or even just the bagged lettuce to which I add a dollop of cottage cheese. Its cheap and while cottage cheese is best if refrigerated, it can stand the Florida sun for awhile.

If you do it careful, you can eat cheap and good. Eating crap often costs more.
The President is a fink.
March 11th, 2018 at 3:27:31 PM permalink
Evenbob
I avoid canned, keep cans for the bunker in case of personal or general disaster. Then again, I do use some, like tomatoes.

Tomatoes are poor choices for storage
anyway. The acid in canned tomatoes
means they have a short shelf life
compared to meats and fish and other
veggies.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 11th, 2018 at 3:34:04 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
Tomatoes are poor choices for storage
anyway. The acid in canned tomatoes
means they have a short shelf life
compared to meats and fish and other
veggies.

They last long enough for me to make chili or pasketti half a dozen times a year.

In other cooking, as soon as I can peel myself away form some YT videos I am going to make some caramel topping for popcorn. Going to try to make a few toppings. Popcorn, even with that topping, is not processed and probably better for you than potato chips. If it works out I will take some to snack on at the courthouse tomorrow. Not that I do it often, but I want to stop buying crap out of the vending machines or at 7/11.

Hopefully save some case, too. Making it a bit of a mission to learn to make the stuff we all like eating out at home.
The President is a fink.
March 11th, 2018 at 4:14:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
They last long enough for me to make chili or pasketti half a dozen times a year.

I'm talking years, not a few months. I
have canned meat that expired 2 years
ago and it will still be good 5 years
from now. Not tomatoes, never use
after the exp date.
Page 4 of 4<1234