Doug Ford the new leader of Ontario Conservative party.

Page 1 of 212>
March 11th, 2018 at 9:32:15 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Many of you probably remember Rob Ford a former Mayor of Toronto. He could of been the model for Trumps campaign and style. Rob was politically incorrect enough he even got parodied on SNL and other US media. All the libs in the world knew that it was fluke, and nobody they knew would ever vote for him. Even a small problem with cocaine was not enough to derail his popularity. Cancer was though and he passed several years ago.

His brother Doug has just been elected leader of the Conservative party in Ontario and could well be the next Premier of Canada's largest province. Doug served as an Alderman under his brother and always supported his brother throughout his tumultuous career.

The reason I posted this is I think it is another sign of how tired the average taxpayer is getting with all the current liberal media/social media pressure. You can't speak out against the liberal agenda now without being vilified by the left. This pressure tactic is, I feel, actually working against the libs and their agenda as opposed to the results a more balanced dialogue would produce.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 11th, 2018 at 9:46:52 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: kenarman
Many of you probably remember Rob Ford a former Mayor of Toronto. He could of been the model for Trumps campaign and style. Rob was politically incorrect enough he even got parodied on SNL and other US media. All the libs in the world knew that it was fluke, and nobody they knew would ever vote for him. Even a small problem with cocaine was not enough to derail his popularity. Cancer was though and he passed several years ago.

His brother Doug has just been elected leader of the Conservative party in Ontario and could well be the next Premier of Canada's largest province. Doug served as an Alderman under his brother and always supported his brother throughout his tumultuous career.

The reason I posted this is I think it is another sign of how tired the average taxpayer is getting with all the current liberal media/social media pressure. You can't speak out against the liberal agenda now without being vilified by the left. This pressure tactic is, I feel, actually working against the libs and their agenda as opposed to the results a more balanced dialogue would produce.

I agree. The far-left is almost as idiotic and back washing as the far-right (and the alt-right is truly appalling).

The middle is still holding on many hot-button issues, and that's a good thing, but the fragmentation of our country into warring factions (heavily aided by fake news and false social media, whose goal it is to do exactly that) is, in its own way, the most dangerous trend to all of us as a democracy.

Collaboration and compromise after civil debate and discussion is the only path forward we can accept.

All-or-nothing, knee-jerk legislation and policy, name-calling and labling, and personal attacks on people with whom you have a difference of opinion has to be identified, called out, and eradicated. Starting from the top. Trump is not good for this country. But then, that's not his goal.

SJW as a reactionary force is going overboard. The good part of that is they have awakened millions of apathetic citizens. But time to start a new plan.

Balance and moderation will appeal to the most voters, and whichever side captures that image first will prevail in the mid-terms.

I think it would be easier for the left to moderate themselves. But I have yet to see them put forth a coherent plan to do it. They have pandered too long to demographic groups, and it's way uphill for them to unify a message.

The right is too fragmented, between the Trumpers, the establishment, tea party remnants and the alt-right (with some intersection among those factions). The Trumpers will win that ideological argument, but cede the middle in doing it, just because he's so repugnant to so many, especially Republican women.

I think Canadians are inherently more sensible and practical, though certainly affected by the proximity and sheer volume of our current insanity. Even if Doug gets in power, I don't see you going off the rails following him in large enough numbers for extreme change to be enacted.

I suppose he.could hurt you on some isolated and specific policies, and it would be best if he did not gain power, but I think Canada is better equipped to stifle extremism than the US right now. I also think.Justin Trudeau will act as an effective check on him if necessary.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
March 11th, 2018 at 4:31:05 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: beachbumbabs
The middle is still holding on many hot-button issues, and that's a good thing, but the fragmentation of our country into warring factions (heavily aided by fake news and false social media, whose goal it is to do exactly that) is, in its own way, the most dangerous trend to all of us as a democracy.

All-or-nothing, knee-jerk legislation and policy, name-calling and labling, and personal attacks on people with whom you have a difference of opinion has to be identified, called out, and eradicated. Starting from the top. Trump is not good for this country. But then, that's not his goal.

I think Canadians are inherently more sensible and practical, though certainly affected by the proximity and sheer volume of our current insanity.

Canada is having to deal with Immigrant Flight from the USA. People fleeing an immigrant backlash in the USA are undergoing dangerous border crossings to get into Canada. Terrible situation but that is what you get when its all knee-jerk policies.
March 11th, 2018 at 4:35:22 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
Canada is having to deal with Immigrant Flight from the USA. People fleeing an immigrant backlash in the USA are undergoing dangerous border crossings to get into Canada. Terrible situation but that is what you get when its all knee-jerk policies.

It is an example of words mean things. Trudeau complains about Trump, calls his policy mean, and says "Canada will take them." But when they show up he shows he didn't really mean it.
The President is a fink.
April 7th, 2018 at 6:10:31 PM permalink
kenarman
Quote: Fleastiff

Canada has had over 20K immigrants in the last 15 months crossing from the US illegally and it just starting to ramp up again as the weather warms up. To put that in perspective given that the US population is 10 times the Canadian population that is equivalent to 200K illegal immigrants entering the US. The RCMP are preparing to handle possibly 100K over the next couple of years. For Trump to be consistent he should be doing more to stop them as he is asking Mexico to do at their border. He should also of course pay for wall to stop them from entering Canada illegally.
April 8th, 2018 at 3:02:46 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Canada has had over 20K immigrants in the last 15 months crossing from the US illegally and it just starting to ramp up again as the weather warms up. To put that in perspective given that the US population is 10 times the Canadian population that is equivalent to 200K illegal immigrants entering the US. The RCMP are preparing to handle possibly 100K over the next couple of years. For Trump to be consistent he should be doing more to stop them as he is asking Mexico to do at their border. He should also of course pay for wall to stop them from entering Canada illegally.

Is this really a problem? I thought Canada was for open borders and loved illegal immigration?
The President is a fink.
April 8th, 2018 at 3:15:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
Is this really a problem? I thought Canada was for open borders and loved illegal immigration?

Isn't their motto 'COME TO CANADA, WE LOVE THE CRAP OUT OF ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS!'

That's what they used to say, anyway.
What changed?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 8th, 2018 at 3:21:41 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob

What changed?

What changed? They started showing up!
The President is a fink.
April 8th, 2018 at 3:57:19 PM permalink
kenarman
Quote: Evenbob

What changed?

The change was when Justin said we would accept everybody. He is third in the polls now of the 3 parties. He will be gone after next years election.

Still think the US should be doing more to keep the immigrants on your side of the border, I agree with your president's ideas. Of course the Mounties on our side are helping them across the border. Wouldn't want them to slip and fall, think of the cost to our medical system.
April 8th, 2018 at 4:14:14 PM permalink
AZDuffman

Still think the US should be doing more to keep the immigrants on your side of the border

Complain to the liberal enablers.
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 212>