The most bankable actress in the world

Page 2 of 2<12
March 14th, 2018 at 11:04:06 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
The thread is more about how bankable she is as an actress.

She's 50, her exp date is long gone.
She's a rom/com actress, mostly.
That's all I remember her for.
Notting Hill and Pretty Woman
and Best Friends Wedding and
Mystic Pizza. I liked Eat Pray Love
but it wasn't because of her.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 18th, 2018 at 4:25:31 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I'm still uncertain as to what is meant by "bankable".

Lets face it. If a star is "a bit hungry" she will probably be less likely to have tirades on the set and constant fights with directors that are expensive and cause delays. So past economic success just might detract a bit from 'bankable' status.

Or is it the past economic success that is valued as some sort of predictor that the next movie script someone throws money at will do well? Do people go to a movie to see Julia Roberts or go to a movie to see a film that happens to feature Julia Roberts. I would agree that there are probably some people that watch a movie but reflect on either Mystic Pizza or Pretty Woman. Ticket sales seem more important than viewer's habits though.

In any actor's life there seems to come a time in which past successes alter professional lifestyle. Bill Nighey once spoke at length about the sudden lack of his ever having to audition for a role. Instead of his auditioning it became a question of would he be free to do it and would he like the script.

I'm sure Julia Roberts is in this status of "can we get her'' rather than lets call her in for an audition. I think its a process of 'We've got this script, if we throw money at it, will we get anything back and how long will it take? I noted the great time lag between Wonder Woman being cast and the film being released. It can't have been production delays.

Bankable?
.... She is a guaranteed draw of audiences irrespective or role or script quality?
.... She is a guaranteed "professional" and will not throw a monkey wrench into the process based on some Prima Dona disputes?
.... She has had a run of "bad scripts" and might need the role and is therefor bankable despite her financial independence?
.....She has displayed acting talents in the past that happen to suit our particular script and is therefore viewed as bankable since its a good investment?

What about that movie with Val Kilmer and Robert Downey Jr. when neither of them were at all "bankable". Val Kilmer had just decked the ultra-highly paid Tom Cruise with one punch and no one would issue a Completion Bond if Val Kilmer was going to be on the set knocking the star out with one punch. Robert Downey Jr. had a recent history of having so much drug use he didn't even know which drugs he was on. No one wanted to issue a Completion Bond on a guy who would be in the headlines and in the can before the film was in the can. So 'bankability' surely played no role there.

Bankable? Its like that Texas movie theater during a heat wave that took down the name of the movie from the marquee and replaced it with Who Cares .. Its Cool Inside". Perhaps 'bankable" has a similar meaning. The movie theater's marquee won't have to put up the film's title, just the "with Julia Roberts".
March 18th, 2018 at 4:48:18 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff

Lets face it. If a star is "a bit hungry" she will probably be less likely to have tirades on the set and constant fights with directors that are expensive and cause delays. So past economic success just might detract a bit from 'bankable' status.

TV Guide did an article in the 1980s. The life cycles of actors/actresses. They were:

1. Friendly
2. Demanding
3. Out of Sight

Stars start friendly, easy to work with. Then when their name alone makes people want to see something they get hard to work with. Eventually directors and producers get tired of their nonsense and their phone stops ringing. Then it repeat.

Back to the first point. I would say "bankable" means that they always make money for their partners. Tom Cruise is "bankable." He demands a lot of money and maybe other things. But his movies always make money for his partners. That being said, I do not think there are many actresses at all you can consider "bankable" as women's roles simply rarely carry the film.

Sure, there are a few from time to time. But base a movie around the female roles and you end up making a chick flick. Women will watch "the girl doing what the boys can do." Men will not pay to see that, they will in fact only sit thru it if forced. For this reason, an actress needs to build her brand different than an actor. In a mainstream film, the female role just is not going to carry the movie.

The exception for bankable actresses is probably adult films. With the exception of John Holmes, no male has ever really become the pull there. Women, OTOH, have made adult films sell.
The President is a fink.
March 18th, 2018 at 8:25:01 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Scarlett Johansson $3,674.9 40 $91.9 The Avengers $623.4
Emma Watson $3,206.4 18 $178.1 Beauty and the Beast $504.0
Cameron Diaz $3,031.7 34 $89.2 Shrek 2 $441.2
Julia Roberts $2,912.6 44 $66.2 Ocean's Eleven $183.4
Carrie Fisher $2,878.0 18 $159.9 Star Wars: The Force Awakens $93
Helena Bonham Carter $2,822.0 36 $78.4 Harry Potter / Deathly Hallows (P2) $381.0
Elizabeth Banks $2,811.7 36 $78.1 Catching Fire $424.7
Zoe Saldana $2,639.8 28 $94.3 Avatar $760.5
Lupita Nyong'o $2,639.6 7 $377.1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens $936.7
Julianne Moore $2,080.3 58 $35.9 Mockingjay Part 1 $337.1
Sally Field $2,075.6 28 $74.1 Forrest Gump $330.3
Queen Latifah $2,049.9 31 $66.1 Ice Age 3 $196.6
Marisa Tomei $2,030.1 44 $46.1 Captain America 3 $408.1
Diane Lane $2,019.3 42 $48.1 Inside Out $356.5

42% Cameron Diaz had 42% of her gross from playing Princess Fiona in the Shrek movies in four films.
56% Scarlett Johansson made 56% of her gross playing Black Widow in Marvel Comic films in five films.
75% Emma Watson made 75% of her gross from playing Hermione Granger in Harry Potter films in eight films.
10% Julia Roberts made 10% of her gross playing "Tess Ocean" in two films.
91% Carrie Fisher made 91% of her gross playing "Princess Leia" in five STAR WARS films.
35% Helena Bonham Carter made 35% of her gross playing "Bellatrix Lestrange" in three Harry Potter films
52% Elizabeth Banks made 52% of her gross playing "Effie Trinket" in four Hunger Games films

33% Helena Bonham Carter made 33% of her gross playing characters in six films directed or produced by Tim Burton

Quote: Fleastiff
Bankable? Doesn't mean prior income necessarily. Just a sufficient draw to induce investors to risk money on a production that they might otherwise feel would be a far more risky investment..

Julia Roberts is still an A-list star. If she wants to appear in a film, the film is made.

But of all those women, Julia's films have made the most money without being dominated by a single character.
March 18th, 2018 at 10:54:39 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
Julia Roberts is still an A-list star. If she wants to appear in a film, the film is made..

I don't know why, she expired about
5 tears ago. Remember how hot and
in demand Cameron Diaz was? She's
45 and hasn't made a movie since
2014. Once a woman loses her sex
appeal, she's usually done being a
star. It's still a mans world, men are
interesting and do interesting things
that people want to see dramatized.
Women are boring, self centered and
uninteresting, for the most part. Who
wants to see that dramatized.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 18th, 2018 at 11:17:08 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I think if Mariska Hargitay were to make a movie, she would be bankable.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 18th, 2018 at 4:10:27 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Just watched season 1 The Handmaids tale
I can see why Elisabeth Moss won a lot of acting awards
Her performance is pretty incredible
Its kind of tough to watch with everything she is put through. Overall pretty depressing but the story did hook me.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 18th, 2018 at 6:14:31 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
I don't know why, she expired about 5 tears ago.

The difficulties that middle aged women have starring in movies is well documented.Julia Roberts is now age 50, it is more difficult to play a prostitute.

But she virtually got the movie "Wonder" made based on her star power.
March 18th, 2018 at 6:48:23 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: petroglyph
I think if Mariska Hargitay were to make a movie, she would be bankable.

She has not starred in a movie since the premier of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit on 20 September 1999. While certainly one of the most successful women in television, her skills may not translate to movies.

1999 Lake Placid -Myra Okubo
1995 Leaving Las Vegas -Hooker at Bar
1993 Come the Morning -Church Woman
1993 Bank Robber -Marisa Benoit
1991 Strawberry Road -Jill Banner
1991 The Perfect Weapon -Jennifer
1991 Hard Time Romance -Anita
1986 Jocks -Nicole
1986 Welcome to 18 -Joey
1984 Ghoulies -Donna
Page 2 of 2<12