FORTY TWO

Page 1 of 51234>Last »
March 21st, 2018 at 6:11:09 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Amazing that this just appears to be big news locally, but the Buffalo Archdiocese has outed FORTY TWO priests as pedophiles. I have seen TV stories decrying the story as not being fair or accurate because there are MANY others not mentioned who should be and the church is hiding their identities!!!!!

There must be a reason someone goes into that profession; I was hoping it was to help their fellow man, not molest the sons of their fellow men....
March 21st, 2018 at 6:18:29 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Now you're going to get EB started again. If there are 42 is just Buffalo, that is scary to think of how many there are in the whole country by extrapolating.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 21st, 2018 at 7:18:58 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
Now you're going to get EB started again. If there are 42 is just Buffalo, that is scary to think of how many there are in the whole country by extrapolating.

About one in seven girls and one in 25 boys will be sexually abused before they turn 18. Combined that is about one in 11 children.

There are about 1,135,509 inhabitants in Buffalo.
So (1/7+1/25)/7=9.14%
9.14%*1135509=103,818 have been a victim of pedophilia in Buffalo

So let us assume that 42,000 pedophiles live in Buffalo since many will have multiple victims

That would mean 1 in a 1000 pedophiles from Buffalo are priests.

It is not a wildly improbable statistic.
March 21st, 2018 at 7:19:03 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
the word 'accused' is used and 'diocesan priests' in a link to the link

how big is the diocese?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 21st, 2018 at 7:19:10 AM permalink
odiousgambit
After at least trying to put into perspective the business of the accused priests, maybe I can also deliver something critical

Someone familiar with the matter in one case told me he had formed the opinion that the problem is that the RC Church attracts homosexuals into the vocation and has protected their activities, what with the priestly rank and file absolutely chock full of gays. He said that the predominant deplorable activity is selecting older teenage gays to cavort around with; however, as long as the teenager is below the age of consent, it gets reported as 'child abuse' even sometimes with 17 year-olds. He was not condoning that either, but as an RC Catholic he really felt he preferred to have that admitted to be what was going on, meanwhile isolating and throwing any priests who molested younger teens and pre-teens into prison.

Otherwise, well, one day you might have it reported that there were 42 child molesters in the usual sense of that expression in the Buffalo Diocese alone, maybe huh? Due to the cover-up neither he nor I nor anybody else can prove it isn't exactly that, and maybe it is.

I am not Roman Catholic but I side with this guy on this, it just makes too much sense; I buy the idea that this is the actual problem. As far as it is concerned I think the RC Church should had zero tolerance for homosexual behavior long, long ago. I realize there should be a distinction between those priests with those leanings as a theoretical matter and those who are actually indulging in sexual activity.
March 21st, 2018 at 7:23:01 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: SOOPOO
There must be a reason someone goes into that profession; I was hoping it was to help their fellow man, not molest the sons of their fellow men....
That's okay. There are many people who believe that or similar things such as "honesty is the best policy" or "health is better than wealth" or "good triumphs over evil". They were brought up that way and are not going to change their minds. I don't fault you in any way for believing such nonsense and not knowing the obvious. Some men seeking power, wealth and sex get mobbed up; others join the church for those reasons. Its just a career choice, nothing more.

Or as Hannibal Burell said at Loyola: "Y'all Fxxx kids, doncha?"

Now if you want to start splitting an already fine hair we can do that.

Its important to focus on actual behaviors versus legal concepts.
We all know that some males who are 18 do things with a female who is only slightly below the official age of consent and wind up spending their entire remaining lifetime branded as some sort of dreaded sex offender. They share the same legal designation as some demented pervert who in middle age focuses on girls who are five years old.

So headlines and statistics can be misleading but in reality the real problem lies with those who were stupid enough to swallow that guff about "help their fellow man" in the first place.
March 21st, 2018 at 7:36:03 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: odiousgambit
He said that the predominant deplorable activity is selecting older teenage gays to cavort around with; however, as long as the teenager is below the age of consent, it gets reported as 'child abuse' even sometimes with 17 year-olds.

Pedophilia, is a psychiatric disorder in which an adult or older adolescent experiences a primary or exclusive sexual attraction to prepubescent children.

As we discussed earlier, states are divided by age of consent at 16, 17, or 18 with various clauses differentiating age difference.

Being prepubescent is not the same thing as being preadolescent. Instead, prepubescent (and sometimes child) is a term for boys and girls who have not developed secondary sex characteristics, while preadolescent is generally defined as those ranging from age 10 to 13 years.

So a priest having sex with a 18 year old boy may be immoral, but not criminal. A priest having sex with a 17 year old boy may be criminal, but not pedophalia.
March 21st, 2018 at 7:40:19 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: Pacomartin
So a priest having sex with a 18 year old boy may be immoral, but not criminal. A priest having sex with a 17 year old boy may be criminal, but not pedophalia.

and my point [which you may not be trying to detract from] is that as long as it all gets presented to the public as "child molester" in both cases, we don't know which it is. In my book, both are bad, but pedophilia is truly absolute evil.
March 21st, 2018 at 8:54:11 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: SOOPOO
Amazing that this just appears to be big news locally, but the Buffalo Archdiocese has outed FORTY TWO priests as pedophiles. I have seen TV stories decrying the story as not being fair or accurate because there are MANY others not mentioned who should be and the church is hiding their identities!!!!!

If this is current it is really strange, I don't see a link even on Google? How could this not be "all over the news"?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 21st, 2018 at 8:58:50 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: petroglyph
If this is current it is really strange, I don't see a link even on Google? How could this not be "all over the news"?
It is all over google news and tv in Buffalo and Syracuse.
Page 1 of 51234>Last »