March for our lives

March 26th, 2018 at 6:25:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
My only statement was that it won't make a lick of difference. Cynical, yes, but tell me I'm wrong?

That's the point a lot of people are
making. When has it ever made a
difference what a bunch of idealistic
kids thought about anything. Since
never.

We did this crap in HS 50 years ago,
and thought we were going to change
the world. We could barely change
our underwear and the oil in our cars,
as it turns out. The world just rolls on,
change comes glacially slow.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 26th, 2018 at 6:35:20 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: petroglyph
You bring up grenade launchers, mini nukes, then misquote the 2nd which I did not quote, and then accuse me of creating strawman?

I was using satire to explain to what I believe was intentional obtuseness in understanding the statement that I quoted of senator Rand Paul. How and where do I "keep putting forth this strawman"? bs

Gee, sure didn't look like satire.

If it bothered you that I used a straw man, or an argument ad absurdium, maybe you might think about continuing to present those logically fallacious arguments yourself.

Feel free to call out the libs when they do it too.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 26th, 2018 at 6:45:01 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Face
I didn't say that at all. In fact, I'm one of the few people in here who doesn't watch cable news, satellite TV, or engage in modern media. I have stated countless times in myriad threads that people need to turn on, tune in, and drop out. Give TV a break for one year and see if your life don't change, precisely because of the bending it does to one's will.

I went without tv for most of 25 years. It is surprising how much of peoples conversation uses bits from media. I like crosswords but often get stumped with media questions, I have no idea what actors played what.

Quote:
But while I not only believe in its influence but know it to be a proven and well tested fact, I do not believe it to be a trigger for this far out, hyper extremist behavior.
I mis understood, I thought you were saying violent video games didn't influence kids minds. I can see the difference in my grand kids in one day of hanging out at his friends house who is buried in video games, he comes back a different kid. Takes a few hours for him to chill. I don't care if they play some, but it seems apparent, the attitude of the kids that live eat and breathe violent games.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 26th, 2018 at 6:50:21 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
You can tell how successful these kids have been by the number of posts in this thread from old white dudes freaking out and trying to smear their character.

Carry on.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 26th, 2018 at 7:04:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: ams288
You can tell how successful these kids have been by the number of posts in this thread from old white dudes freaking out and trying to smear their character..

No, it's old white dudes who have been
there and done that and know words
are cheap and usually ineffective. It's
people with limited experience
in the real world that hold what
a bunch of teenage kids say in such high
regard.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 26th, 2018 at 7:32:34 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Dalex64
Feel free to call out the libs when they do it too.
I stay away from conversations once name calling has started, or facetious accusations. You won't find many times I have used the words libs, righties or lefties anywhere. When I want to indicate a liberal point, I tend to spell it in it's entirety, in an attempt not to inflame by name calling, as derision is not my intent. How about you?

I haven't used strawman arguments, that I'm aware of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

"A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent.[1] One who engages in this fallacy is said to be "attacking a straw man".

The typical straw man argument creates the illusion of having completely refuted or defeated an opponent's proposition through the covert replacement of it with a different proposition (i.e., "stand up a straw man") and the subsequent refutation of that false argument ("knock down a straw man") instead of the opponent's proposition.[2][3]

This technique has been used throughout history in polemical debate, particularly in arguments about highly charged emotional issues where a fiery "battle" and the defeat of an "enemy" may be more valued than critical thinking or an understanding of both sides of the issue."
March 26th, 2018 at 7:35:54 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Evenbob
No, it's old white dudes who have been
there and done that and know words
are cheap and usually ineffective. It's
people with limited experience
in the real world that hold what
a bunch of teenage kids say in such high
regard.

Look at that. You made me change my signature line, after all these years.

As to your patronizing, insulting comment above, you'll probably be dead before it's done, because it's not an easy fix, but I'll think of you rolling in your grave when it is.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
March 26th, 2018 at 8:05:18 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: ams288
... old white ...
flame
March 26th, 2018 at 8:23:02 PM permalink
Dalex64
Quote: petroglyph
You mean they don't kill people all on their own like guns do?

This is your strawman, suggesting that the argument is that guns kill people on their own.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 26th, 2018 at 8:29:33 PM permalink
Dalex64
By the way I think a more accurate way to frame the argument might be: people with guns kill people therefore the access people have to guns should be controlled better.