1 vote (25%)
1 vote (25%)
2 votes (50%)

4 members have voted

March 30th, 2018 at 8:05:00 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
My first memory is playing with a truck in the playground in pre-school. A bigger kid came along and just took it away from me without comment. I sat there in tears until it was time to go back to class. I knew it wouldn't do any good to report the incident, because it would be my word against his.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 30th, 2018 at 9:48:21 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Who hasn't seen Rocky Horror???
Saw it live at the theatre and audience participation was incredible. Most had memorised the script and half the audience were in almost obligatory stockings and sussy belts. I felt out of place because I wasn't.

I am now though, 'cos it's Friday... No. not really.
$:o)

Hmmmm. Must get that VCR working again.
Gotsta post this...

March 30th, 2018 at 10:34:40 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: OnceDear
Who hasn't seen Rocky Horror???

Me. It has been on my bucket list for almost 40 years now. When I was in Paris I saw a sign for a showing (not sure if it was an old one), but am kicking myself I didn't seize the opportunity.

I have seen it at home, but I hear it just isn't the same watching it in the afternoon on your living room couch by yourself.
March 30th, 2018 at 10:58:41 AM permalink
OnceDear
Quote: Wizard
Me. It has been on my bucket list for almost 40 years now. When I was in Paris I saw a sign for a showing (not sure if it was an old one), but am kicking myself I didn't seize the opportunity.

I have seen it at home, but I hear it just isn't the same watching it in the afternoon on your living room couch by yourself.

If you find it on stage live, or even at a late night movie showing, get yourself along. Try to find the nearest bar to the theatre and just hang out waiting for the fans to rock up in their fancy dress. Don't expect to hear any of the dialogue from the actors, because the first half dozen rows of the theatre will be pre-empting the script... And take along a cigarette lighter and some kitkat bars ( may vary for US fans ) This is a 43 year old classic movie. Richard O'Brien was decades before his time with his genius script.

I understand there was a remake of the film. Not seen it, may look it out, but I expect to be disappointed.

I actually don't rate Tim Curry as an actor in any of his other roles, but he was spot on in this.

Going to watch it tonight, I think. I might watch old and new versions and see if I can dig out a stage version on you-tube.

Now if you want real mischief in a play... The Book of Mormon. I got a tee shirt printed with Hasa D!ga Eebowai and wore it for work occasionally on dress down Friday.

Of Course, 'Hasa D!ga Eebowai' with the capital letter '!' (pronounced 'ex' ) has a totally innocuous meaning in the language that I made up ('Thank you imaginary friend') . Not the same as Hasa Diga Eebowai with the letter 'i' from a different imaginary language meaning 'f... you God'.

I made up an explanatory web page to refer to if I got called into HR for wearing the 'offensive' shirt.

http://oncedear.com/HasaD!gaEebowai.htm

Let's do the timewarp again.

$:o)
March 30th, 2018 at 11:45:59 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Is it true there is a scene where the audience throws playing cards? I have tons of partial decks in my office and would be happy to just get rid of all of them by flinging them in a movie theater. How about throwing rice, I've heard that too.

I saw the Book of Mormon shortly after it came out on Broadway and thought it was outstanding. I have listened to the soundtrack about 100 times in my car.

Most overrated musical, in my opinion: Rent
March 30th, 2018 at 11:54:58 AM permalink
OnceDear
Is it true there is a scene where the audience throws playing cards? I have tons of partial decks in my office and would be happy to just get rid of all of them by flinging them in a movie theater. How about throwing rice, I've heard that too.

They had rice and confetti when I went, but the playing cards is a more recent feature
http://www.lifedeathprizes.com/lists/the-rocky-horror-picture-show-props-17298
http://screenertv.com/television/rules-and-props-for-watching-rocky-horror-picture-show/
Quote:
I saw the Book of Mormon shortly after it came out on Broadway and thought it was outstanding. I have listened to the soundtrack about 100 times in my car

When I was introduced to TBOM, I was like WTF? but still sometimes I break into song.
March 30th, 2018 at 12:39:00 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
When I was introduced to TBOM, I was like WTF? but still sometimes I break into song.

I had an argument with someone at WoV years ago on whether or not the opening song, Hello, was an homage to the song Telephone Hour from Bye Bye Birdie. I still say it was.

Direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHepsd7-l-I
March 30th, 2018 at 1:06:03 PM permalink
OnceDear
I had an argument with someone at WoV years ago on whether or not the opening song, Hello, was an homage to the song Telephone Hour from Bye Bye Birdie. I still say it was.

Direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHepsd7-l-I
I see the similarity. Homage? Plagiarism? Maybe one or t'other.
March 30th, 2018 at 1:25:22 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Plagiarism? Maybe one or t'other.

Somewhere I read every number in BoM was inspired by some other well-known number in a musical. It is easy to say that the song you were speaking of, I don't want to look up the spelling, was an homage to Hakuna Matata from the Lion King.
March 30th, 2018 at 1:47:16 PM permalink
OnceDear
Somewhere I read every number in BoM was inspired by some other well-known number in a musical. It is easy to say that the song you were speaking of, I don't want to look up the spelling, was an homage to Hakuna Matata from the Lion King.
Absolutely a homage / parody in that case
Page 1 of 81234>Last »