Good Friday

Page 10 of 10« First<78910
April 3rd, 2018 at 10:39:14 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Dalex64
It is evidence that people are not born with instinctive knowledge of what kind of behavior is acceptable to the society into which they were born and therefore need to be taught.

We're having aspects of the same conversation in 2 parallel threads (at least). See Happy Easter thread.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
April 3rd, 2018 at 11:40:16 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
First of all everything you are saying about the inherent selfishness of children is evidence of original sin..

A concept not even in your scripture
that has zero evidence of existing in
the real world? And you think that's
the cause of something.

That's frightening, that somebody taught
you that, though not surprising. But
you believe in a god with zero evidence,
why should we be surprised you will believe
anything they put in front of you with no
evidence as well.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 3rd, 2018 at 1:14:28 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
But
you believe in a god with zero evidence,
why should we be surprised you will believe
anything they put in front of you with no
evidence as well.

No, it is you who believe there is no God with zero evidence. Remember how you believed the Pope said there is no hell based on the evidence of an aged reporter. Well I believe that God is real because myself and countless others have experienced Him and continue to have a real, personal, and life giving relationship with God. What is your evidence for you absolute claim that there is no God? Oh right, nothing.

Anyway, Original Sin is the easiest thing in the world to prove. It is what we have been talking about with young children, but it is present in every adult human who has ever lived (except Mary). It is the fact that we sometimes find it hard to do what we know we should and are tempted to do what we know we shouldn't. Even you can't deny this reality in all of us.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 3rd, 2018 at 1:51:38 PM permalink
Evenbob
I believe that God is real because myself and countless others have experienced Him

Your testimony has nothing to back it
up, hallucinations and wishful thinking
are only evidence of delusion, nothing
else. People used to delude themselves
into thinking there was evidence witches
killed newborns and ruined crops. They
were so convinced they murdered innocent
women over it. What happened to that
whole thing, why did they stop? Take a
minute to think about it, the reason will
come to you.

Quote:
Anyway, Original Sin is the easiest thing in the world to prove.

You realize that everything you say about
OS is just wild speculation and not proof,
right? You have no proof.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 3rd, 2018 at 3:27:13 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
why did they stop? Take a
minute to think about it, the reason will
come to you.

Because it wasn't true and really attributed to all the false things you state above. Why doesn't belief in God stop? Take a minute to think about, the reason will come to you.

Quote:
You realize that everything you say about
OS is just wild speculation and not proof,
right? You have no proof.

My proof is you.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 3rd, 2018 at 4:30:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Because it wasn't true

Bingo!

Quote:
/My proof is you.

Yeah, no it's not..
February 5th, 2023 at 12:04:00 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
"We should feel good about masturbating, though. It's part of a healthy sex life."

beachbumbabs, sexual attitudes used to be a little different when we were growing up.

If a man (alpha?) goes without sexual release for too long, it can be dangerous in our current society.

What you are referring to can be the least of two evils.

Nowadays, I never look into a woman's eyes, because I don't want her to be offended.

I will look down until we pass each other walking.

I am never alone with a woman other than my mate because I trust her.

I never leave my DNA around if I can help it.

That includes tobacco and hair, etc.

That's too much risk.

It didn't used to be that way.

For the spiritual component relative to the above physical risk, there's another risk.

It's spiritual.

If can affect our conscience negatively and persist until removed.

It's different than the guilt emotion.

Over time, a conscience can be less sensitive and negatively affect other decisions.

It's a flesh versus human spirit thing, since the conscience is inside the human spirit.

They are in contrast to each other.
February 5th, 2023 at 6:22:12 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Wizard
That is the kind of mentality serial killers have. Do you think there is no "sin" in driving drunk and killing innocent people? I'd certainly feel guilty about it and not out of religious reasons but for harming my fellow man.

I believe many definitions of sin require one to believe in divine law. If one doesn't believe in divine law, is there any sin? Guilt definitely, but I don't know about sin.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 8th, 2023 at 4:41:58 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
The proof of God and proof of the negative effects of sin, could be the result of a person's life drastically changing as a result of having faith and sinning less.

In other words, the proof is in the change in behavior of a person.

For example, a heroin addict that becomes faithful, sins less, and gets off drugs and eventually becomes the CEO of a major firm.

If someone doesn't have major life difficulties, then maybe they didn't choose faith and maybe they sinned below average.

But I have seen a wide variety of folks and no major pattern arises.

I can really only look at my own life.

And that can be tough to do because self is an expert at fooling self.
Page 10 of 10« First<78910