Quote: Evenbob
Ever see the movie American Graffiti.
The cars driving in a circuit downtown?
We had that in my city in 1965, I was
there in a car with hundreds of other
teens every Fri and Sat night. Huge
amount of fun.
It was great American culture.

I went thru Canada once and pulled in for gas, it was 5.50 or something. I asked the kid attendant how he and his buddy's could afford to "cruise the gut", he said they didn't. lol

I liked drive-in's really well to.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 21st, 2018 at 6:06:06 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard

One of the graduating classes in my high school, I think the class of 82, I guess as the graduation prank, stole the Bob statue at the location I always went to, broke off some of his limbs, and lynched the rest of him from a tree. It was actually quite sad. They hung him up pretty high so it took a while to remove it and meanwhile every student and teacher saw it.

That must have been a thing as legend has it two mamalukes tried to steal one from inside the huge (now near empty!) mall near where I grew up. IIRC they actually got it to the door about 100 feet away before security stopped them.
The President is a fink.
July 21st, 2018 at 6:16:16 AM permalink
AZDuffman
$4500 for a rusty dented VW?

In MI 55mph slowed us down from
80 to 70 on the freeway. When we
took trips when I was a kid, it was in
a 56 Pontiac wagon with a roof rack
on top for luggage. We never ate
in restaurants, never stayed in motels,
my dad would drive 16 hours straight
to get to DE where his parents lived.

We had a metal cooler with bologna
sandwiches and chips and Kool Aid,
my parents were way too cheap to ever
buy Coke. I read comic books the whole
way.

Kids these days do not understand the family road trip. Half vacation, half a living hell. I think I told this before, but in case not. Nieces and nephews all have done FL/DIS trips the last year or so. All flew, one set on a private jet of all things! When confronted about how we were in a '76 LTD wagon (no wallpaper sides) with no A/C, only AM Radio, not wearing seat belts, driving 0500-20:00 one day then about 10 hours the next, their reaction?

The oldest just looked at me and said "That's ridiculous!"

She is smart but still too young to grasp my old man having the title in the glove box in case the car gave out.

Then there were tires! Wiz/EB, any family road trips where you OM had to do a roadside change? Happened on our trips more than once.

I think I told the one story about my brother and I changing one, though if I did not I could really use a ruling by you two. My mother and I disagree on if it was a big deal.
The President is a fink.
July 21st, 2018 at 6:30:01 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
Nieces and nephews all have done FL/DIS trips the last year or so. All flew, one set on a private jet of all things!

Do you realize that the first AM radio station was nearly a century ago?

If you were going from Southern California to Santa Fe New Mexico (roughly 700 air miles) where driving may take 20 hours, and the commercial alternative is to take a regional jet to Phoenix, and then another regional jet to Santa Fe. I suppose a private jet would make some sense to those who could afford it.

But why would you take a private jet to Disney World which has nonstop air service to nearly every small airport in the country. If you want to coddle the family just buy better seats. What is the advantage of leasing a private jet?
July 21st, 2018 at 7:01:56 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Pacomartin
Do you realize that the first AM radio station was nearly a century ago?

If you were going from Southern California to Santa Fe New Mexico (roughly 700 air miles) where driving may take 20 hours, and the commercial alternative is to take a regional jet to Phoenix, and then another regional jet to Santa Fe. I suppose a private jet would make some sense to those who could afford it.

But why would you take a private jet to Disney World which has nonstop air service to nearly every small airport in the country. If you want to coddle the family just buy better seats. What is the advantage of leasing a private jet?

He is a pilot and the owner let them hop on.
The President is a fink.
July 21st, 2018 at 8:20:06 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: petroglyph
It was great American culture.

I went thru Canada once and pulled in for gas, it was 5.50 or something. I asked the kid attendant how he and his buddy's could afford to "cruise the gut", he said they didn't. lol

I liked drive-in's really well to.

If gas was 5.50 or something that was way after cruising the circuit was popular. It was our main entertainment at night even in the small Canadian town I grew up in when in high school. That was the early 60's and I had part time job pumping gas. Regular was 49 cents a Canadian gallon. Our circuit was from the Tastee-Freeze down the main drag and back, only about 1 mile return.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 21st, 2018 at 11:02:23 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The oldest just looked at me and said "That's ridiculous!"

When polled, 80% of Millennials say
their main goal in life is to get rich.
50% say it's to be famous. The most
coddled group in world history. And
they want to be rich before 30 and
retire. Like it's oh so easy...
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 21st, 2018 at 11:37:07 AM permalink
AZDuffman
When polled, 80% of Millennials say
their main goal in life is to get rich.
50% say it's to be famous. The most
coddled group in world history. And
they want to be rich before 30 and
retire. Like it's oh so easy...

This is not a millennial, this is an about 12 year old child. But they have no idea what it used to be like. Of course I was told the same at a young age.

I would have loved to be rich and retire at 30. I never wanted or want to be famous. I can't imagine wanting to be.
The President is a fink.
July 21st, 2018 at 11:52:38 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

I would have loved to be rich and retire at 30. I never wanted or want to be famous. I can't imagine wanting to be.

I'm with you on the not being famous. And it seems like a PITA if you're wealthy. Too many people are going bug you or try to get a loan.

I guess some people enjoy fame, but not me.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 21st, 2018 at 12:05:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

What they're saying is they want
to be happy, and they think money
and fame do that.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.