Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
A real trip down memory lane. A pretty
good compilation of commercials and
TV promos from 1977. I bet the Wiz
saw all of these at 12 years old. Good
stuff.. 40 years ago, really?

I jumped around it. That kid singing the Oscar Meyer song while fishing I must have seen hundreds of times as a kid. Honestly, these commercials are quite irritating. I think that was how they got you to remember them. Noticed one for a show called Fonzie loves Pinky. Now, I thought I could stand my ground with Happy Days trivia against anybody, but I never heard of this show. I did know Fonzie had a thing for Pinky and her sister Leather Tuscadero (played by Joan Jett) had something to do with it, but never heard of this show.

In checking IMDB, they portray it as a three-part episode series on Happy Days, but that isn't how that commercial markets it. If I ever meet Henry Winkler, it will give me something to talk about. That and "What happened to Chuck?"
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 17th, 2018 at 8:03:54 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
In checking IMDB, they portray it as a three-part episode series on Happy Days, but that isn't how that commercial markets it.
If I ever meet Henry Winkler, it will give me something to talk about. That and "What happened to Chuck?"

It was the three episode series that kicked off season 4. But the intention was to make Pinky a central character in a re-boot of Happy Days, where Fonzie and Pinky were a long term relationship. But the actress who played Pinky, Roz Kelly, got into creative disagreements and she was removed from the show and her character essentially vanished.

Pinky , still played by Roz Kelly, appeared in a single episode of Blansky's Beauties in 1977. Blansky's Beauties was a 13 episode spin off from Happy Days which was seen by virtually nobody.
October 18th, 2018 at 4:17:04 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I jumped around it. That kid singing the Oscar Meyer song while fishing I must have seen hundreds of times as a kid. Honestly, these commercials are quite irritating. I think that was how they got you to remember them.

That is the key to jungles. We hate them, but we remember them. Commercials are the toughest thing to make IMHO. A jingle or musical one helps.
The President is a fink.
October 18th, 2018 at 5:23:23 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
Blansky's Beauties was a 13 episode spin off from Happy Days which was seen by virtually nobody.

I never got into Blansky's Beauties and didn't even know it was a Happy Day's spin-off until you mentioned it. The Wiki page says the same character and at the age, Pinky, appeared in Happy Days, which took place in the early 60's at the time and in 1977 on BB. This is the kind of anachronism that drives me crazy.

The Wonder Woman TV show did this too, taking place during WWII in the first season and in the present day 1970's in the second, with no mention of a time machine or anything like that. I could buy Wonder Woman not aging, as I think she is immortal, but not the mortal characters like Major Trevor, if I have his name right.
October 18th, 2018 at 5:28:26 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
That is the key to jungles. We hate them, but we remember them. Commercials are the toughest thing to make IMHO. A jingle or musical one helps.

I took a sociology class in college that had a big emphasis on advertising. The professor said there were only about four types of strategies, and one of them was by annoyance, which was very big in the 70's. Didn't you just get terribly sick of Madge the Manicurist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzmTtusvjR4
October 18th, 2018 at 11:18:28 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I took a sociology class in college that had a big emphasis on advertising. The professor said there were only about four types of strategies, and one of them was by annoyance

Anacin on purpose made some of
the most irritating, yet effective,
commercials. People hated them,
but when they had a headache,
they bought Anacin.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 18th, 2018 at 11:43:55 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
worst ad ever

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 18th, 2018 at 4:06:27 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
worst ad ever

Thanks. How am I going to get that out of my head now?
October 18th, 2018 at 4:17:36 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
worst ad ever

Beyond irritating. I was forewarned, but I clicked on it anyway.
October 21st, 2018 at 3:07:23 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
pretty funny

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.