Not allowed to buy a box of matches !

Page 2 of 2<12
April 7th, 2018 at 6:12:38 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: OnceDear
OK. I don't like having to criticise my country's laws, but this is too funny to pass up on.

Strike Anywhere Manufacture Phased out

The article talks about the EU laws, but it seems to be a British website. Are you British or from the Continent?

Of interest!
NOVEMBER 10, 2009: Strike Anywhere Matches: Best for Survival Situations Keith McCafferty says strike anywhere matches are still the best for survival situations, despite the fact that they're not as good as they used to be.
April 8th, 2018 at 11:38:54 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: Pacomartin

The article talks about the EU laws, but it seems to be a British website. Are you British or from the Continent?

Thanks, I'm in Britain and I believe the manufacturer in question is based in England, although Swedish owned.

I haven't found the legislation that is behind the transition from the old, pink 'strike anywhere' matches to only the brown 'safety matches' AKA 'strike-on-the box' but it looks like Europe's last manufacturer of the old style pink matches has stopped doing so.

Nowhere can I find any law that would stop me buying 3 boxes of matches and I think the shop assistant was talking rubbish.

I do note that carrying 'strike anywhere' matches onto aeroplanes is generally forbidden as is sending them through UK and US postal services.

Zod only knows what google, the NSA and GCHQ would make of my recent search history, but I seem to be getting lots of ads for the dating app 'Tinder' and ads for 'match betting' and holidays in 'Flint' !!!

:o)
April 8th, 2018 at 3:35:04 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: OnceDear
Zod only knows ...

General Zod, from Superman?
Page 2 of 2<12