Sun Country and ethics

Page 3 of 5<12345>
April 21st, 2018 at 1:35:17 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: SOOPOO
Another easy one. You purchased a ticket through Sun Airlines instead of a major carrier that despite the snide comments would not have left the tourists stranded.

But millions of tourists look for vacation tickets at airlines that cater to vacationers instead of businessmen. Sun Country puts only 2 more seats in the same plane as Delta and there is a fraction of an inch less width in the seats.

Sun Country Boeing 737-800 (162 seats)
First 37-39" by 21" : 12 recliner seats
Economy 31-33" by 17" : 150 standard seats

Delta Boeing 737-800 (160 seats)
First 38" by 21" : 16 recliner seats
Delta Comfort+ 34" by 17.2" : 36 standard seats
Economy 31-32" by 17.2" : 108 standard seats

Sun country is not even an ULCC like Spirit or Allegiant.

It's not too much to ask the airline to have an "interline agreement" with Delta (which also has a hub at MSP) so that people can evacuate in an emergency.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlining
April 21st, 2018 at 3:37:04 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Another easy one. You purchased a ticket through Sun Airlines instead of a major carrier
Not necessarily. Many of their flights are group charters wherein the Affinity Group's committee charters the plane and the members just climb on board when a plane shows up.
April 22nd, 2018 at 9:13:11 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Another easy one. You purchased a ticket through Sun Airlines instead of a major carrier that despite the snide comments would not have left the tourists stranded. Sun Airlines apparently was within it's legal rights to do what they did. So it is a free market, and this has received a lot of publicity. The market should punish Sun by having people NOT book any flights with them. And if you are foolish enough to do so, be aware of what could happen to you. (I may be foolish enough in the future if the price is right....)

I agree with this completely. Sometimes things happen, just go with it and vote with your dollars.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 22nd, 2018 at 9:33:22 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Sun country is not even an ULCC like Spirit or Allegiant.

I know little about Sun Country, but it's been much in the aviation blogs lately. two items of note: 1) it was recently sold and 2) the new management intends to turn it ULCC.

So, interline agreements cost money, holding one plane to retrieve stranded passengers costs money, chartering a plane to retrieve stranded passengers costs even more money.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 22nd, 2018 at 9:35:17 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: FrGamble
These things you are hearing are only true in small parts of a large and beautiful country (besides the don't drink the water advice). The exact same things could be said about certain places in America and you wouldn't want people to think about us in the same way you think about Mexico.

Why do you even bother?

Look at the situation: an American carrier strands passengers in another country due to weather in an American city. The response you quoted is that it must be the fault of the destination country. And if I say what that last statement is the textbook definition of, I get suspended.
April 22nd, 2018 at 9:51:25 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
Look at the situation: an American carrier strands passengers in another country due to weather in an American city. The response you quoted is that it must be the fault of the destination country.

Saying this incident is the fault of the destination country is the textbook definition of ignorance and racism.

San Jose del Cabo is basically a California city that happens to be on the southern tip of Baja. Mazatlan is a Mexican port city but with huge numbers of Americans retiring or vacationing there since the 1960's.
April 22nd, 2018 at 4:15:02 PM permalink
Nareed
Saying this incident is the fault of the destination country is the textbook definition of ignorance and racism.

Great minds think alike.
April 22nd, 2018 at 4:48:59 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
Great minds think alike.

I don't know about great minds but we are talking about a blizzard in Minneapolis and how it affects the behavior of a US airline that travels to a number of seasonal warm weather destinations in several different countries.

San Juan (Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport)
St. Thomas (Cyril E. King Airport) Seasonal
San José del Cabo (Los Cabos International Airport) Seasonal
Mazatlán (General Rafael Buelna International Airport) Seasonal
Aruba (Queen Beatrix International Airport) Seasonal
Punta Cana (Punta Cana International Airport) Seasonal
Montego Bay (Sangster International Airport) Seasonal
Liberia, Costa Rica (Daniel Oduber Quirós International Airport) Seasonal
Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo (Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo International Airport) Seasonal
Puerto Vallarta (Lic. Gustavo Díaz Ordaz International Airport) Seasonal
Cancún (Cancún International Airport)
Cozumel (Cozumel International Airport) Seasonal
Sint Maarten (Princess Juliana International Airport) Seasonal (Suspended)

The seasonal destination could just as easily have been Aruba, Montego Bay, or St Thomas. It just happened to be San José del Cabo and Mazatlán.

These comments seem to be inspired simply by the mention of the word Mexico.

Quote: Fleastiff
These things do happen from time to time even though they talk to fast down there and have a strange habit of vomiting in their moustaches.
Quote: Fleastiff
In one notable Mexican incident several people with confirmed tickets and credit cards wisely chose to pay cash for standing room only on a boat rather than risk going to the airport. They had to abandon all luggage but they left Mexico with their hands still attached to their arms, their wives and daughters not raped or murdered and their empty wallets still in their pockets.
Quote: Evenbob
My first thought was, that's what you get for going to Mexico.
April 22nd, 2018 at 5:01:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

That's because I take every opportunity to
rag on Mexico when it comes up. I first
went there in 1975 and it was a great place
to visit. It had problems, but I wasn't in fear
the whole time I was there. The cartels had
yet to control everything. What Mexico was,
and what it's become, deserves mentioning
as often as possible.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 22nd, 2018 at 6:24:52 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Come on Paco. Lighten up. I do happen to know that it is Vaminos Muchatsos or something like that. It was a line uttered by the leader of the bad guys when they started to lose the gun fight and had to ride off in all directions. I learned a great deal about Mexico when I was ten and watching westerns on TV. Learned a good deal more when I changed my dollars to pesos before entering Mexico and so didn't get any bargains.
I can't recall which hurricane it was but that total meltdown did take place and the Canadian embassy guards were the only representatives of law and order that remained.
I do realize that there are a lot of spring breakers and expatriate Americans in Mexico and that only the border area is the worst of both worlds.
Page 3 of 5<12345>