Mexican Presidential Race 1 July 2018.

Page 2 of 6<12345>Last »
July 3rd, 2018 at 9:51:59 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: AZDuffman
I don't know that it would matter to them as the violence is about capturing USA market share.

I'm not saying decriminalizing drugs would eliminate all crime, but it would clear out their jails, save taxpayers billions, and free up police resources. I favor the same thing here.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 3rd, 2018 at 10:05:27 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
I'm not saying decriminalizing drugs would eliminate all crime, but it would clear out their jails, save taxpayers billions, and free up police resources. I favor the same thing here.

It is a complicated thing. Drugs are the reason for most crime it seems. OTOH, legalization would probably mean a long period of having a junkie underclass. Like China had with Opium that eventually led to the lease of Hong Kong. Morphine and heroin use around 1900 is why they were banned.

If it was all legalized, use would only go up. IOW, be careful what you wish for.
The President is a fink.
July 3rd, 2018 at 11:11:28 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
If it was all legalized, use would only go up. IOW, be careful what you wish for.

I think we could agree there are pros and cons to legalization. I don't dispute that usage would go up. My argument is it is outweighed by the pros I just mentioned.
July 3rd, 2018 at 11:23:54 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
OTOH, legalization would probably mean a long period of having a junkie underclass.

They are junkies anyway, no matter
what the law is. Most junkies I've
known are idiots anyway, they should
be neutered to weed out the gene
pool.

Like the guy in Breaking Bad who has
the ATM he stole in his living room.
People say nobody is that stupid. Oh
yes they are, prisons are full of them.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 3rd, 2018 at 3:51:53 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
They are junkies anyway, no matter
what the law is.

I tend to lean this way. I said I didn't disagree with AZD's claim, because I didn't have any evidence, but I do think any increase in drug use would be minor. When Reagan and Bush 41 cracked down on illegal drugs by increasing jail time, I believe that usage rates remained about the same. Like cigarettes, people who want drugs will get them, regardless of price or the law.
July 3rd, 2018 at 3:56:18 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Hoy es martes, que significa que Lupe came over for our weekly cleaning. She was running late so brought along a friend, which she sometimes does. I asked both of them how they felt about their new president and they were both ecstatic* Obrador won. They said everybody they knew were celebrating.

* Tough word to spell.
July 3rd, 2018 at 3:56:46 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I tend to lean this way. I said I didn't disagree with AZD's claim, because I didn't have any evidence, but I do think any increase in drug use would be minor. When Reagan and Bush 41 cracked down on illegal drugs by increasing jail time, I believe that usage rates remained about the same. Like cigarettes, people who want drugs will get them, regardless of price or the law.

I disagree based on marijuana use in CO. People will want to see the attraction. Lower prices will bump use. Younger folks will try more than us old guys. Hard to say how much. But don’t believe those who say the law doesn’t matter. A guy afraid of a bust if he gets some coke for a party is way more likely to buy across a legal counter.
The President is a fink.
July 3rd, 2018 at 4:01:01 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I disagree based on marijuana use in CO. People will want to see the attraction. Lower prices will bump use. Younger folks will try more than us old guys. Hard to say how much. But don’t believe those who say the law doesn’t matter. A guy afraid of a bust if he gets some coke for a party is way more likely to buy across a legal counter.

I'm always open to seeing numbers, but how would they know usage rates before legalization? I would also not be surprised if there was/is a temporary uptick just due to it being a new thing and out-of-state people buying it. Also, if some are using in lieu of prescription drugs, or were previously suffering from pain or nausea*, which marijuana helped, then more power to them.

Bottom line, I tend to think I'm a centrist about most big issues, but when it comes to marijuana I am all the way in favor of legalization.

* Another tough word to spell.
July 3rd, 2018 at 4:42:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
They said everybody they knew were celebrating.

Why. Mexico is a steaming pile
of corruption. When he's done
it will be an even broker steaming
pile.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 3rd, 2018 at 4:54:48 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
Why.

You would have to ask her.
Page 2 of 6<12345>Last »