Mexican Presidential Race 1 July 2018.

Page 5 of 6« First<23456>
July 4th, 2018 at 7:52:07 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: AZDuffman
I know I am an outlier there. I just like the subject matter. I have heard that the idea was to each season focus on a marginalized ethnic group. Season 2 was poor whites, another might have been Mexicans, etc. I guess that never happened.

Well, that was never how I looked at it. Season two was very much an outlier, focusing on smuggling eastern European prostitutes through the port of Baltimore. If you had any interest in shipping and police boats, there is probably little to compare. I found it a slow season. If anyone has not started on the show, I would suggest skipping season 2 and coming back to it after season 5, if you want.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 5th, 2018 at 2:00:35 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
A woman I know is 70 and has some money from her husbands estate. She wants to get a motor home and travel around Mexico because she went there and spent 3 months in 1968 and loved it.

Her friends on FB went crazy trying to talk her out of it. They had one horror story after another. She finally changed her mind. A single white woman in a Winnebago, it wasn't will she get robbed and probably raped, it was how many times a week.

I must a dozen single white women in their 70's (mostly widowed but some divorced) who very happily lived on their own in Mexico. Access to medication was very good, they could afford to hire people to help, and many of them didn't want to maintain automobiles but taxis and rental cars were affordable.

They would gather at the art exhibits and the library, go dancing and listen to music in the town square.

I had a number of ladies say they were extremely happy about retiring in Mexico as they had a much better quality of life than living in the USA

The lending library was a popular hangout for retirees in Oaxaca City
https://www.oaxlibrary.org/
July 5th, 2018 at 2:13:01 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
Well, that was never how I looked at it. Season two was very much an outlier, focusing on smuggling eastern European prostitutes through the port of Baltimore. If you had any interest in shipping and police boats, there is probably little to compare. I found it a slow season. If anyone has not started on the show, I would suggest skipping season 2 and coming back to it after season 5, if you want.

The prostitutes were the catalyst, when they found them dead in the can. But then we saw how the union was helping with the smuggling. The Greeks were into prostitutes, dope, and moving any kind of swag they got a deal on. But we saw the union getting deeper and deeper in a bid to save itself as the battle was between the union wanting to rebuild the port and gentrification making it into condos.

Meanwhile, you had the union members who were too old to really find something new to do with their lives. They were really stuck, that I could relate to after seeing the steel industry crash as a kid. You had one kid who wanted to work the docks and move out on his own, but just could not get the hours, so he became a "floorman" dope dealer, one step above the street guys. His cousin, Ziggy, was just a screw-up. Dragging him down.

BTW: Ziggy was based on a real guy who did a lot of the same nonsense on the docks. And if you read the wikipedia page on the real union and the real Port of Baltimore, it is interesting as Baltimore did have that reputation that Frank said, it got the freight unloaded fastest and cheapest.
The President is a fink.
July 5th, 2018 at 8:31:23 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
I must a dozen single white women in their 70's (mostly widowed but some divorced) who very happily lived on their own in Mexico.

That looks like Jesus in the upper left frame.

The prostitutes were the catalyst, when they found them dead in the can...

I know. To each his own, I'm just saying season 2 was my least favorite, but I still liked all of them.

BTW, my mental image of EB is like the guy that guy who ran the labor union at the port, if I remember his job title correctly.

July 5th, 2018 at 11:19:04 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
I must a dozen single white women in their 70's (mostly widowed but some divorced) who very happily lived on their own in Mexico.

My understanding is that if you live
in an ex pat community you have
some protection. My friend was
going to do what she did in 1968,
travel alone all over the country.
Her friends that know Mexico told
her she might as well wear a big
red target on her back.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 5th, 2018 at 12:01:03 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
My understanding is that if you live
in an ex pat community you have
some protection.

Until the Mexican government decides to steal the land from you if you had bought it. Never buy land down there, just sign short term leases. If you are crazy enough to live there in the first place that is. I saw a piece years back, expats made a nice community. The Mexicans decided some Mexican Indian tribe had a claim and booted the expats, of course giving them the "right" to buy it again first!

You cannot even buy land near the border or coasts unless you are Mexican.
The President is a fink.
July 5th, 2018 at 12:48:24 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Until the Mexican government decides to steal the land from you if you had bought it. Never buy land down there, just sign short term leases. If you are crazy enough to live there in the first place that is. I saw a piece years back, expats made a nice community. The Mexicans decided some Mexican Indian tribe had a claim and booted the expats, of course giving them the "right" to buy it again first!

You cannot even buy land near the border or coasts unless you are Mexican.
The ex pats should demonstrate and demand they be given equal rights.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 5th, 2018 at 7:24:28 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Her friends that know Mexico told her she might as well wear a big red target on her back.

A lot of these women lived in the city proper, though many of them did spend much of their day with other expats. But it certainly wasn't a walled off community.

Granted, it is not particularly safe to drive around.
July 5th, 2018 at 9:05:50 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I don't know much about it, but I think there are guarded ex-pat communities all over Mexico and Costa Rica. My last time to CR the retired woman in the seat next to me was checking one out there. She said she was leaning towards one in Mexico. There is a very good chance I'll go that route, or at least try to, when I'm ready to settle down.
July 6th, 2018 at 4:10:34 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
I don't know much about it, but I think there are guarded ex-pat communities all over Mexico and Costa Rica. My last time to CR the retired woman in the seat next to me was checking one out there. She said she was leaning towards one in Mexico. There is a very good chance I'll go that route, or at least try to, when I'm ready to settle down.

Puerto Penasco is more a place for people from the Southwest USA to retire in Mexico. Since it is 66 miles from Arizona, you don't need a visa. Puerto Vallarta, Ixtapa, Cabo and Cancun are full of gringos.

Mazatlan is a traditional American retirement place, but still a full scale Mexican city.

I could see you more likely in an international community in Mexico, rather than a more caged off retirement community full of Americans and Canadians.

Guadalajara is, of course, a metropolitan area of 5 million people.
https://www.ventanasmexico.com/news-1-draft/a-stroll-through-affluent-neighborhood-in-guadalajara

SMA is possibly the most famous upscale community full of people from around the world
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Miguel_de_Allende
Page 5 of 6« First<23456>