5 votes (55.55%)
4 votes (44.44%)

9 members have voted

May 19th, 2018 at 8:13:17 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: GwoAE
I can't image how anyone hear yanny.

Try this test. I hear Yanny at -25%,-30%,-35%, and -40%. Other than that I hear Laurel for all playback speeds.

I grew up at the confluence of three types of midland English
Northeast Pennsylvania English ( Mary–marry–merry merger complete),
Philadelphia English (Philadelphia is resistant to the cot–caught merger). I pronounce them the same.
Pennsylvania German (The use of "tree" instead of "three" to describe the number "3" )

Although I heard a lot of Pennsylvania German and I have distant ancestors from the Palatinate that came in 1750, I am not conscious of any of the stronger PG phrases.
I would say "do you still work at the store?" instead of "do you work at the store yet?" . I certainly don't use the stronger calques like "Outen the lights" or "The candy is all".
May 19th, 2018 at 8:42:23 AM permalink
GwoAE
Threads: 4
But changing the speed on most any words could change the sound.
May 19th, 2018 at 8:51:25 AM permalink
Pacomartin
But changing the speed on most any words could change the sound.

That's true, but the "laurel/yanny" recording is not a word. It is an artificially constructed sound to be almost in the middle of normal phonetic pronunciations of consonants. At normal speed he answer across all dialect speakers is about 50/50. The frequency shift pushes us one way or the other, but at different speeds.

For instance if someone hears "yanny" at normal speed, I would be curious how much you would have to speed it up to turn it into "laurel".

In my case it is a pretty big shift (-25%) before I start to heard "yanny".
May 20th, 2018 at 8:30:16 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
I can't image how anyone hear yanny.

It's neither. It's yarry, rhymes with Gary. There's no "L" sound in there whatsoever, or "N" for that matter. I've heard it on my TV, my cell, and now my laptop, and it's not Laurel at all. There's no L in there at all. You people are nuts!
May 20th, 2018 at 9:48:43 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Yesterday I would have said everyone in the Yanni camp were nuts, but there was a piece on the topic on the CBS Sunday Morning show today, and they played it so often that I heard it both ways. Click the link for the piece, but you'll probably have to suffer an ad first. I suspect they may have played it at different frequencies to make a point.

Faith Salie said it is actually both but at different frequencies. Which you hear depends on which frequency your brain tunes into.

So, I'm not going to rest on my laurels on this issue any longer and say that you hear what you hear. If forced, I'm in the "laurel" camp, but will smoke the peace pipe with anyone from the yanni camp.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 21st, 2018 at 1:16:50 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Future story of how a code word was misheard, and changed the course of history. Not one I'm going to write, but someone might.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 22nd, 2018 at 3:56:16 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
I suspect they may have played it at different frequencies to make a point.

I suspect you are right. I always clearly heard one way or the other.

Using this identity

What does the graph of C*sin(A) + D*sin(A+B) look like?

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/cwc8bn4snj
May 22nd, 2018 at 4:10:51 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I listened more than a dozen times.

Always Laurel. Never yanni. No idea how anyone heard anything else.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
May 22nd, 2018 at 4:54:10 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: beachbumbabs
I listened more than a dozen times.

Always Laurel. Never yanni. No idea how anyone heard anything else.

I just replayed the CBS piece and it pretty much alternated between Yanni and Laurel, starting with Yanni. In the clip with that blonde woman, who was Trump's campaign spokeswoman (I forget her name), it was always Laurel. I even more strongly suspect they edited the piece to influence one way or other and alternating between Yanni and Laurel.
May 22nd, 2018 at 4:57:22 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
Try this test. I hear Yanny at -25%,-30%,-35%, and -40%. Other than that I hear Laurel for all playback speeds.

I didn't notice this before. This does a good job of illustrating what is going on.

It was Laurel for me until they slowed it down by 30%. 25% was kind of borderline.
Page 5 of 6« First<23456>