Do I Have Dyslexia?

Page 2 of 5<12345>
May 25th, 2018 at 11:59:33 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: odiousgambit
The re-reading will absolutely be like reading it for the first time. Does anyone else have this problem?

ADD can come on when you get
older and effect concentration.
That's what it sounds like to me.

I have a developed a right/left
brain thing. Often when I want
to do something on the right,
I do it on the left without thinking.
You see it in groups of people
told to raise their right hand, and
are considered stupid because
they raise their left first.

It's a brain fart, they know their left
from their right. It's a brain malfunction.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 25th, 2018 at 12:59:33 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Many suffer from data overload. Our evolution isn't keeping pace with Moore's law.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 25th, 2018 at 4:46:39 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob

You see it in groups of people
told to raise their right hand, and
are considered stupid because
they raise their left first.

I sometimes have to hold up both my hands and stick the thumb and index fingers out on both. The hand where the fingers form an "L" is the left hand.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 25th, 2018 at 5:06:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Wizard
I sometimes have to hold up both my hands and stick the thumb and index fingers out on both. The hand where the fingers form an "L" is the left hand.

Our findings were startling. Even the background noise of a ward environment was enough to throw some medical students off when making right-left judgements. Asking them a series of questions while they were trying to distinguish right from left had an even greater impact. The “distraction effect” was greater for older and female students.
An individual’s ability to self-determine how well they could distinguish right from left was also often imprecise. So many students thought they were good at distinguishing right from left when, objectively measured, they weren’t.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 25th, 2018 at 5:11:38 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
Our findings were startling. ...

So many times I've tried to give directions to someone driving a car and said "turn right" or "turn left" and they go the opposite way. I shouldn't throw stones as I've probably done it myself. When I was in kindergarten I remember being flummoxed trying to keep a lower case d and b straight.
May 25th, 2018 at 6:35:52 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
So many times I've tried to give directions to someone driving a car and said "turn right" or "turn left" and they go the opposite way. I shouldn't throw stones as I've probably done it myself.

I once had a boss who I was discussing some kind of placement of a parcel of land. She kept saying "the one to the left." I kept asking "east or west?!" How could someone who had to read maps say left or right?

Another time we were looking for a described lot. I eventually found it, or where it was supposed to be, a story in itself. But he and the de-facto lead of our group are looking at a map, trying to figure it out. I joined in, after about 10 minutes I tell them, "are you aware you are looking at this upside down?" The N arrow was pointing to the bottom, not top, of the page. But still a better reason they could not find it.
The President is a fink.
May 25th, 2018 at 6:49:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
So many times I've tried to give directions to someone driving a car and said "turn right" or "turn left" and they go the opposite way.t.

I just took a R/L test. First they show
hands with the index finger pointing
up or down. I whizzed thru those.

Then it was hands pointing left or
right. I had to study each one and
even then I wasn't sure sometimes.
Up/Down not a problem, R/L I'm
a retard.. Sigh.
May 26th, 2018 at 3:05:52 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Dyslexics of the World: Untie.

I know someone who can't do left and right in a vehicle. It has to be driver's side or passenger's side.
May 26th, 2018 at 4:14:02 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
never had a bit of trouble with L/R , but I have an odd problem with east/west and to a lessor degree north/south. I will know what is correct and what I want to say, but what comes out will be reversed. Sometimes this happens with written directions. It upsets me a lot when that happens because, like I say, it just comes out wrong when I actually know it correctly.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 26th, 2018 at 5:38:26 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I remember once on the Newlywed Game they first asked the four women, "In which direction does the sun set in your neighborhood?" All of them had to work it out in their heads, saying things like, "It sets over the Smith house and if I turn left from there on Cherry, and right on Pine, and ... I think I would be facing north, so it sets south." None of them got it right.

When it came to the men all four of them immediately said, "It sets in the west, of course, as it does everywhere."
Page 2 of 5<12345>