Do I Have Dyslexia?

Page 4 of 5<12345>
May 29th, 2018 at 8:25:09 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Nobody ever dared question my father, despite the fact he was often wrong. The "Winnebego Man" videos are difficult for me to watch because they remind me so much of my father.

Direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDQQfBrSUs0
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 29th, 2018 at 8:57:06 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
Nobody ever dared question my father, despite the fact he was often wrong. The "Winnebego Man" videos are difficult for me to watch because they remind me so much of my father.

OMG, that's a hilarious video! This is so
many fathers from the 50's and 60's and
70's. Old man frustration and anger at
everything. I cracked up again and again.
I already sent it to a couple people saying
I didn't know their dad commercials.

They made a documentary about this
guy, I'm going to watch it..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 29th, 2018 at 9:25:57 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
OMG, that's a hilarious video! This is so
many fathers from the 50's and 60's and
70's. Old man frustration and anger at
everything. I cracked up again and again.
I already sent it to a couple people saying
I didn't know their dad commercials.

They made a documentary about this
guy, I'm going to watch it..

I am glad to share in both the joy and pain of the Winnebego Man, also known as the world's angriest RV salesman. If my father sold RVs, he would have come in a close second.

I've seen that documentary and highly recommend it. It is kind of slow at first, because the makers have difficulty finding him, but you get drawn in and can't wait to see where it goes.

I'd be very interested in your thoughts after watching it. One takeaway I have is that you are who you are and can't escape it.
May 30th, 2018 at 1:28:31 AM permalink
Evenbob
I'd be very interested in your thoughts after watching it. One takeaway I have is that you are who you are and can't escape it.

I watched it. He reminds me of Hemingway, a
really smart and frustrated guy who goes
off on tirades sometimes. Men connect with
Jack because we've all been there. We've
all felt the anger and frustration he shows
in the out take video. I instantly connected
to it. I've had those feelings and expressed
them just like he did. But he's very eloquent
about it, that's why it's so good. It's almost
an art form, the way he does it.

Just for fun I sent this to my wife and she
watched less than a minute of it and turned
it off. Just another angry guy, so what, she
said. Women won't relate to this, he just
looks like an idiot to them, another man
flying off the handle. They don't get it.

He's kind of an example of how not to be
in life. He lives alone because nobody will
put up with him and he knows it. Everything
bugs him and he loudly expresses his
anger. I've been around people like that and
it makes me not want to be with them much.
He is who he is and can't escape it is right.

But he did do a service, we have a video of
perfect frustration that most of us relate
to immediately. And it was quite inadvertent
on his part.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 30th, 2018 at 4:43:26 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Even Hemmingway knew when he got drunk and threw knives at waitresses that it was wrong and was able to stop himself before he ran out of knives.
May 30th, 2018 at 4:46:28 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
My dad had his issues, but wasn't too much like this guy ... he would swear when he was really angry but nothing like this. Of course even this guy was presumably more normal than this suggests, what with only showing the outtakes and it may be that trying to make commercials was when he was at his worst.

Men of yesteryear were unchallenged heads of household alright. It was very important to them, a frustrated man in life generally could always reflect on his stature at home to get some solace. However, it is hard to say it made very many happy exactly.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 30th, 2018 at 10:27:41 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I've come to the home page here a few times, and every time I see the thread "did god create the sun", my eyes see "did dog create the sun" and I say hunh I got to check this thread out. Did dog create the sun, possible? Is that dyslexia?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 30th, 2018 at 11:08:54 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
I've come to the home page here a few times, and every time I see the thread "did god create the sun", my eyes see "did dog create the sun" and I say hunh I got to check this thread out. Did dog create the sun, possible? Is that dyslexia?

There is what I call "computer dyslexia." Cashiers get "cashier dyslexia." Man was not meant to look at all these screens all the time. Your eyes fight back.
The President is a fink.
May 30th, 2018 at 1:19:31 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Thanks for your thoughts on the documentary, EB. I can't disagree with a thing you say. Most women I know I think would hate this movie, including Mrs. Wizard. Do we men like movies like Steel Magnolias or the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants? No. Some differences between the genders we'll just never get but have to accept. Barb, however, I think is a rare woman who might like it.

But I think Winnebago Man is the best view of the anger and frustration men feel that I've ever seen. Most men cope with it to some degree but Jack clearly was very honest in his feelings and didn't hold back, much like my father. Almost everything annoyed him and he wasn't shy about letting the world know how he felt in curse-laden language.

It was very interesting to see what came of Jack and his, what I would call, failed attempt to find inner peace. I was glad to see him living a somewhat happy life of a hermit with his dogs. Sorry if I'm blowing the ending for anyone.

Agreed, it is an example of how not to live. Sorry for the profanity, but I believe in the adage s##t happens. Once you accept that, you can get on with your day and hopefully find happiness in the parts that aren't s##t. Not that I'm an authority on Buddhism, but I think they have a similar philosophy of embracing the hardness of life as opposed to letting it get you down.

We may not agree on much, EB, but I am in total agreement with your views on the movie.
May 30th, 2018 at 1:38:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
Thanks for your thoughts on the documentary, .

Jack was born in 1929 and is almost
90 now. He's my parents generation,
the Archie Bunker gen. Growing up
in the Depression and WWII made
for a lot of angry men later in life.
Jack was in his late 50's in that video
and had a whole career behind him
already. He wanted to get those
commercials right and when it went
wrong, we see his frustration.

I like how he's a folk hero to so many
men. We relate to this guy and how
he feels instantly, I've never seen
anything quite like it.
Page 4 of 5<12345>