2 votes (20%)
1 vote (10%)
3 votes (30%)

10 members have voted

June 1st, 2018 at 11:35:57 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: odiousgambit
if you included a chicken wing as part of their "white meat" 2 piece thing. It seemed to be a case of insult..

There's no meat on a wing,
of course it's an insult. A
wing tastes like what you put
on it, it's a selling gimmick.
You have to eat a ton of them
to get as much meat as is on
a breast. I'd be furious if they
gave me a wing as part of any
2 or 3 piece dinner.

I remember when there were
no 'hot wings' or any other
kind of gimmicky wings. The
first time I had them I said
'big deal' and I still say that.
It's a finger food invented by
bars so they can over charge
people.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 1st, 2018 at 11:46:44 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: DRich
The perfect chicken wing must be deep fried, sauced, then thrown on a grill to char it and dry the sauce out a little bit. If your chicken wings don't have char marks you are doing it wrong.

Yeah, I do like char marks. And crispy dry sauced wings.

And no question deep fry tastes best. But it's huge calories in fat, too, and bad cholesterol. Butter-rubbed baked gets almost all the flavor and 1/2 the calories .

And the ratio of white meat to skin is part of the flavor secret. I've tried any number of ways of doing breasts, thighs, etc buffalo, and they just don't work.

But wings sold for buffalo tend to be much larger and meatier than you get off the typical whole roast chicken, too. It's worth getting sizeable ones.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
June 1st, 2018 at 12:41:59 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
The perfect chicken wing must be deep fried, sauced, then thrown on a grill to char it and dry the sauce out a little bit. If your chicken wings don't have char marks you are doing it wrong.

I never fry them
I simply grill them
Use Crystal brand hot sauce mixed with butter. Hot but not too hot
After grilled, pour on the sauce
I love chicken wings
By far the tastiest part of the chicken
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 1st, 2018 at 12:58:58 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I love Crystal hot sauce in the same way and for the same reasons as terapined. Also I don't mind my wings wet and don't think grilling is essential. However, i bet they would be much healthier grilled, I'll have to try that.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 1st, 2018 at 1:45:42 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
grilling after putting on the sauce adds something, I agree
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 1st, 2018 at 3:48:29 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I hope SOOPOO finds this thread. He is from Buffalo, where they get their name, so I expect him to be an authority on Buffalo wings.

p.s. What is the plural of buffalo?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 2nd, 2018 at 3:10:49 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Wizard
I hope SOOPOO finds this thread. He is from Buffalo, where they get their name, so I expect him to be an authority on Buffalo wings.

p.s. What is the plural of buffalo?

I was wondering what he would say too. 'Buffaloes' if you want to put an s on the end, but like 'moose' the spelling can stand for singular or plural without an s on the end altering 'buffalo'. [googled it]
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 2nd, 2018 at 4:47:01 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Classic wing sauce is Frank’s and melted butter.

The attraction of wings is the high skin to meat ratio: texture and crunch! Also, wings have gotten huge in the last 10 years, and I don’t mean in popularity. They’re as big as thighs were 25 years ago.

Combine wings and bbq by smoking your wings over charcoal, or using a wood box in your gas grill. There are lots of methods, all work, just google “smoked wings”, “grilled wings”, etc.

The downside of traditionally prepared wings is that they are not very good for you, all fat and skin and deep fried. I love ‘em, but only eat them once or twice a year.
June 2nd, 2018 at 4:58:36 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mosca

The downside of traditionally prepared wings is that they are not very good for you, all fat and skin and deep fried. I love ‘em, but only eat them once or twice a year.

"Not good for you?" They are a heart attack on a plate! But I still love em. Oddly, I do not like them too big. You correctly point out, the are now huge. When I just out of college we had a local bar had the best sauce I ever had, I could polish off 10 just as an appetizer. Even with a smaller old-man appetite I have to totally force that many. Not as good without as much crunch and sauce.
The President is a fink.
June 2nd, 2018 at 6:15:02 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
I'll admit I was hedging what I wanted to say. They are one of the worst thing you can eat. I love them, but only a few, and only a couple times a year. B&B's are a good substitute.
Page 2 of 5<12345>