No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

1 member has voted

June 15th, 2018 at 11:39:52 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Now that the DOJ has permitted AT&T to merge with Time Warner (including Turner broadcasting) AT&T has promised that it will provide network TV called AT&T Watch with their cell phones as an inducement to choose them over other brands. The same service will cost $15/month for non AT&T customers.

CNN Headline News is the most obvious to be a freebie. It is also the channel that is least likely to get them in trouble with the FCC.

The channel truTV underwent an extensive rebrand that began in October 2014. In late 2016, the network unveiled a new tag line – Funny because its tru – highlighting its commitment to both scripted and unscripted comedy. It is also the channel that people are more likely to watch on a phone.

I didn't put an option for them to give away their whole slate of networks for free with a cellular phone subscription. I don't think it would be possible with FCC regulation. If you think that is a possibility, than you have to write a post and state the reasoning.

By some estimates Time Warner was receiving $5.43 in fees from cable companies for their channels. So selling them for $15 may make sense.

$5.43 Turner
$2.09 TNT
$1.02 TBS
$0.78 CNN
$0.33 TCM
$0.28 Cartoon Network
$0.25 truTV
$0.22 CNN Español
$0.18 HispanicTV
$0.17 CNN International
$0.11 Boomerang
$0.00 HLN
June 18th, 2018 at 12:15:43 AM permalink
Pacomartin
https://www.fiercecable.com/video/at-t-watch-tv-skinny-bundle-launching-next-week
"AT&T Watch" will be announced next week. If anyone cares to speculate, then vote this week.

AT&T has 159.4 million wireless subscribers in the U.S. and Mexico. If they provide at least 10 channels for free, that could change the landscape considerably.
June 21st, 2018 at 2:33:49 PM permalink
Pacomartin

AT&T Watch launched today with 30 channels for $15 (free to unlimited AT&T cellular users).

This new streaming service is $1 cheaper than $16 Philo TV and it includes many of the same channels. But now you have CNN, TBS, TNT, Boomerange and Hallmark which were not offered by Philo. You won't get sports for $15, so you won't get college basketball on TBS. AT&T Watch does not have offerings by the three major media companies, COMCAST (NBC/Universal), Disney, or FOX .

Quote: Philo TV for $16

... AMC
AMC
IFC
WE TV
Sundance TV
BBC America
BBC World News
... VIACOM
Nickelodeon
MTV
Spike
BET
Nick Jr
VH1
Comedy Central
TV Land
Teen Nick
CMT
MTV2
... DISCOVERY & SCRIPPS
Discovery Channel
TLC
HGTV
OWN
Food Network
Velocity
Travel
Animal Planet
Investigation Discovery
DIY
Science
... Arts and Entertainment
Lifetime
A&E
The History Channel
FYI
Lifetime Movie Network
Viceland
AXS TV ~ live music events, as well as comedy, movies, and mixed martial arts
Cheddar ~ Financial News for Millenials
GSN ~ Game Show Networks
June 21st, 2018 at 4:46:30 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I don't see the stations I am currently watching
FOX
FS1
Telemundo

World Cup
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 21st, 2018 at 5:54:51 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: terapined
I don't see the stations I am currently watching
FOX
FS1
Telemundo

World Cup

Not for the $15 and $16 streaming packages

There is a Sling TV $25 package that comes with more choices like FOX, FS1.
TNT
TBS
CNN
Cartoon Network
AMC
IFC
BBC America
A&E
Lifetime
History
Travel Channel
Food Network
HGTV
Comedy Central
Galavisión
Flama
EPIX Drive-In
Tribeca Shortlist
Local Now
AXS TV
Cheddar
Newsy
Viceland
Bloomberg
FX
FXX
National Geographic Channel
Nat Geo Wild
Bravo
Syfy
USA Network.
Nick Jr.
BET
truTV
Univision
UniMas
NFL Network
NBC Sports Network
Comcast SportsNet
Fox Sports Networks**
Fox Sports 1
Fox Sports 2
FOX On Demand
Fox (local station)*
NBC†

There are many streaming packages now that feature live TV. Starting prices are AT&T Watch for $15, PhiloTV for $16, Sling TV for $20 and $25, and Direct TV Now, Youtube Live TV, Playstation Vue, and Hulu Live TV for $40. They have various options for DVR service, for multiple people to watch at the same time, for extra channels, etc.

There are several movie VOD services that are free but with commercials, like Roku, and Tubi.

But Verizon is almost certain to respond to AT&T with a package of TV channels.
June 22nd, 2018 at 6:17:15 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Will this affect my ATT Uverse service?

They've been trying to push me off Uverse and onto DirecTV for a couple of years now, but I'm never going to a satellite dish.

Every August my yearly Uverse contract/promotion ends and have to call and renegotiate my bill and threaten to switch to Comcast.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 23rd, 2018 at 7:21:11 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: ams288
Will this affect my ATT Uverse service?

No it will not, although AT&T has been trying to push Uverse and Direct TV together into one product for some time.

AT&T WatchTV is what are sometimes called "super skinny" packages, and they are aimed at people who primarily get TV through their phones. They may cast the video onto a bigger TV when at home, but they often don't have individual cable service. AT&T wants to sell unlimited dell phone data plans to people for $70 or $80 a month which are bundled with WatchTV.

The price for packages PhiloTV-$16 (40 channels) and WatchTV-$15 (31 channels with 6 more to come) cost the same as HBONow-$15. WatchTV is only available to AT&T cellular users at the moment, but in a few weeks should be on sale to the general public. PhiloTV consists of Viacom channels plus smaller media companies, and WatchTV consists of Turner channels they just acquired plus mostly the same smaller media companies. Both packages are absent any channels from the three biggest media companies in the USA : Disney, COMCAST(NBC Universal) or 21st century Fox Network.

PhiloTV was introduced in November 2017 and has just 50,000 subscribers. I suspect that consumers who are looking for home television will also greet the new $15 WatchTV with a yawn, since you can spend as little as $20 or $25 and get a much better selection of channels including sports. It may have a profound effect on cellular plan choices.

WatchTV PhiloTV Channel Owner
TRUE FALSE CNN AT&T
TRUE FALSE HLN AT&T
TRUE FALSE TBS AT&T
TRUE FALSE TNT AT&T
TRUE FALSE TCM AT&T
TRUE FALSE truTV AT&T
TRUE FALSE Audience AT&T
TRUE FALSE Boomerang AT&T
TRUE FALSE Cartoon Network AT&T
TRUE FALSE Hallmark Channel HALL
TRUE FALSE Hallmark Movies and Mysteries HALL