No votes (0%)
3 votes (50%)
3 votes (50%)

6 members have voted

March 24th, 2013 at 10:34:28 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
A day is a day and we should just keep it this way without people thinking their ideas are better and let them control the lives of others.

Hear, hear!

Fact also is that most curent systems for measuring adn using time, such as the calendar and time zones, work perfectly well and need no improvements. If anything should be done away with is daylight savings time.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 24th, 2013 at 11:14:45 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
Hear, hear!

Fact also is that most curent systems for measuring and using time, such as the calendar and time zones, work perfectly well and need no improvements. If anything should be done away with is daylight savings time.

Well 7 out of 8 people in Mexico live in Central Time zone, and only 1 person in 35 lives in Baja in the north (which would be the only state affected).

While I understand that the Mountain and Pacific States in Mexico would follow Daylight Savings Time since their economy is so integrated with the states to the North, I agree that it is ridiculous that the bulk of Mexico should follow DST.

China can get away with one time zone because the state is more authoritarian, and in addition many of the population centers are at low lattitudes. I should think that people go to work at a different time in the Westernmost states.

I must admit this poll is mostly an intellectual exercise. Given the amount of fighting that goes on over Daylight Savings Time, the prospect of politically moving California over one time zone, and getting Canada and Mexico to agree is politically impossible.
March 26th, 2013 at 9:56:30 PM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
Quote: Wizard
Puzzle time: John (who lives in Florida) calls Mary (who lives in Oregon) and have the following conversation:

John: What time is it there?
Mary: (states time)
John: That's strange, it is the same time here.

How is this possible? Please put answers in
have a nice day

The western panhandle of Florida is on Central time. The portion of eastern Oregon closest to the Treasure Valley of Idaho is on Mountain time. So, during the normal course of things they are 1 hour apart. John and Mary are talking on the morning that DST ends (fall back) at any point between 1am and 2am mountain time. At this point in time, Central would normally be an hour ahead, but has already fallen back and thus they are synchronized for an hour until the Mountain time zone falls back.

Did I get it??!!?!?!!
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
March 26th, 2013 at 10:15:39 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: AcesAndEights
Did I get it??!!?!?!!

I have to be honest that I did not get it. I know that "oregon" is an Algonquian word, so I reasoned that there must be Oregon's in several places around the country.

Oregon, Illinois
Oregon, Missouri
Oregon, Nova Scotia
Oregon, Ohio
Oregon (town), Wisconsin
Oregon, Wisconsin (the village it contains)
Oregon City, California
Oregon City, Oregon
Oregon County, Missouri
Oregon Hill, a neighborhood in Richmond, Virginia
Oregon Inlet, an inlet in the state of North Carolina
Oregon Township, Michigan
Oregon Township, Pennsylvania

There are many such places, in all different time zones.
March 27th, 2013 at 6:11:35 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I'd bet 99% of all Mexican football fans think the Chiefs play in Kansas rather than Missouri.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 28th, 2013 at 3:09:44 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Pacomartin
Well 7 out of 8 people in Mexico live in Central Time zone.
Do they know that? All they do is kill Gringos and make Tortillas, why do they need a time zone? Do they have railroads in Mexico? Railroads created time zones in the US.
March 29th, 2013 at 7:45:47 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
Do they have railroads in Mexico? Railroads created time zones in the US.

Well Mexican railroads were a big part of population the land the West of the Sierra Madres. The same as USA. They only have one passenger rail line (from Chihuahua to Las Mochis) as that is the Mexican Grand Canyon and it would be too expensive and disruptive to build a road in the 21st century. Otherwise passenger rail has been replaced with buses.

Quote: Fleastiff
Do they know that? All they do is kill Gringos and make Tortillas, why do they need a time zone?

Seriously? Don't you have a little alarm bell in your brain that tells you these kind of statements are ignorant and insensitive?
Page 2 of 2<12