Cave! Underwater! Trapped!

Page 1 of 71234>Last »
July 3rd, 2018 at 9:40:36 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I decided since this is likely a long term event, to make it a thread. I was very tempted to put in on gambling forum. Quite a gamble.

I saw a nice map of the cave system on TV, but couldn't find a good one online yet.

The suggestion to have divers drag them one at time, through sometimes sediment filled, complete darkness, feeling completely weightless and having no sense of up or down has also been enhanced with the idea to tie down their arms and legs so if they panic they won't be able to do anything.

Perhaps SOOPOO can suggest the appropriate safe drug to make someone more or less catatonic, yet survive underwater with a regulator. Probably hasn't had a patient like that.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 3rd, 2018 at 11:34:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
I decided since this is likely a long term event, .

This is those guys trapped in
the copper mine in Peru or
Chile all over again. They
were there what, a month?
They were national heroes
when they were finally rescued.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 4th, 2018 at 5:58:03 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I'm not expert but I would keep them where they are until:

A) The passage becomes dry.
B) On a case by case basis, they make an informed decision to scuba dive out of there.

They can obviously bring food and other supplies to them so if they have to wait weeks or months, so be it.

BTW, how is it that a whole soccer team can't swim? How did they sell carved elephants to tourists on Bangkok river cruises?

Direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZIyMD46M-U
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 4th, 2018 at 10:13:48 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22

Perhaps SOOPOO can suggest the appropriate safe drug to make someone more or less catatonic, yet survive underwater with a regulator. Probably hasn't had a patient like that.

I think old fashioned Valium would take the edge off but leave them awake enough to follow commands. I'd certainly need SOMETHING!
July 4th, 2018 at 1:15:12 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I haven't been following the story that closely, but if they got in, why can't they get out?
July 4th, 2018 at 1:21:43 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Ayecarumba
I haven't been following the story that closely, but if they got in, why can't they get out?

Rain flooded the lower areas of the cave which they previously walked through. Monsoon season is probably going to bring more trouble, possibly even threatening to drown them before they can get out.

It took months to free the Chili miners drilling from the top, and they are about the same distance down.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 4th, 2018 at 2:07:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Sanitation is going to be a nightmare.
13 people using the bathroom several
times a day adds up fast. All that will
have to transported out of there
somehow.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 5th, 2018 at 6:04:49 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
It took months to free the Chili miners drilling from the top, and they are about the same distance down.

Yes, but in Chile there was a cave in. I think in this case it is just that rain filled up the stream in the tunnel so that they couldn't walk out. There is no debris to move.

Since some of the boys can't swim, and using SCUBA gear in an enclosed space is difficult as you are subject to panic, they are opting to take their time. They are using pumps and deflecting a stream, so if the rain holds off they may be able to float them out with just snorkel gear and life jackets.

The real danger is that some of them would have died of thirst and dehydration before now, or gotten sick from drinking bad water. Once they can send supplies in and treat injuries, it is very unlikely that something will happen at this stage.

I think the coach is going to be in trouble.

At 30 meters underwater you can't stay for more than 20 minutes or you are in danger of getting the bends. If they panic it could be a problem. Not an insurmountable problem, but I could see them trying to float them out as a first option.
July 5th, 2018 at 8:36:47 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Thank you for the update. I think the ones who can swim should be taken out asap. It will simplify things later.
July 5th, 2018 at 9:44:44 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Thank you for the update. I think the ones who can swim should be taken out asap. It will simplify things later.

I'm no expert, but I lean towards waiting it out until the water is pumped out enough to wade though it.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
Page 1 of 71234>Last »