You can't open these doors

Page 1 of 212>
July 5th, 2018 at 2:38:57 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

It makes sense, but even the POTUS does not know how to open the doors of his car. Only a select few people in the Secret Service know how to open the doors.

Two pints of blood in the President’s type, as well as oxygen tanks, are inside of the 14,000 lb vehicle at all times.A rocket propelled grenade launcher and tear gas are located under the hood.
July 5th, 2018 at 2:58:24 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Revolving number plates?
The President is a fink.
July 5th, 2018 at 4:40:05 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: AZDuffman
Revolving number plates?

Presumably there is some kind of code involved, as any physical mechanism is subject to being resolved with long range cameras. On the other hand it has to be foolproof as it would be very humiliating for the POTUS to be trapped in the car while someone tries to remember a password or to receive some kind of encrypted message.

I find it difficult to believe that the automobile door can be opened with bio-metric identification based on the members of the secret service detail, as if they are killed you would want to be able to get the POTUS out of the vehicle.

I don't know what the protocol is about who is permitted to ride in The Beast with the POTUS. Family members and visiting heads of state are probably OK, but anyone who could potentially be a suicide bomber would be an issue.
July 5th, 2018 at 4:56:16 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Ultimately, they still have to rely on pre-searching the areas. After all an Iraqi style IED can knock off an Abrams tank. Or at least the people inside get killed by the shockwave.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 5th, 2018 at 5:56:15 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Its known as protection in depth. Keep all threats at bay. its really a tank decked out as a limousine but its better than being exposed. An RPG has an 'effective' range of 300 meters and first time on target rates for most soldiers is at best five percent for a stationary target. Hospitals enroute always have blood segregated until its released to their use by the Secret Service. Chief trauma surgeon is usually on standby also. As is an OR and a full team.

IED? All postal boxes have been removed, all man hole covers sealed, there are no ATMs along the motorcade route, no trash baskets, etc.

its the perimeter that counts the most. Symbols for far distances are different than symbols for nearer distances and can be changed more readily.

Secret service agents are even drilled on nerve gas and carry needles filled with atropine as an emergency measure for themselves and the President.

Even though the best thing is always the accelerator pedal... if anything happens they have picked the time and the place so you get out of there but fast. Limousine sequence in a motorcade is varied by a roll of the dice and there are often decoys. The entire motorcade can 'floor it' on command. Crowds, woman with a baby carriage, child,... tough. The rule is GO. Only the designated 'stay behind' agents remain to return fire and buy time for an escape.

One driver for a minor foreigner in NYC was unused to the garment district's habit of clothes being moved thru the street so when some jerk crossed in front of him with a rack of fabric blowing in the wind, the driver hit the gas and took out a dozen parking meters doing it. The embassy paid for the meter repair and gave the driver a bonus for doing the right thing.
July 5th, 2018 at 11:45:28 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I would actually be surprised if the President could not open the door. Seems to me that being sealed in with no exit would be a flaw if the bad guys managed to start a fire or get in the driver’s seat.
Maybe a combination of key fob (maybe in a ring) and access code would open the vault.
July 5th, 2018 at 12:36:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Had to suck for Obama when he left
office. Trump has lived like a king for
the last 40 years, he'll go back to it.
Obama's limo days are gone.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 5th, 2018 at 4:08:06 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
Two pints of blood in the President’s type, as well as oxygen tanks, are inside of the 14,000 lb vehicle at all times.A rocket propelled grenade launcher and tear gas are located under the hood.

I did not know that. Was that true at the time of the Reagan shooting? Or either Ford shooting, for that matter.

I watched a recent interview of Bill Clinton talking about a recent work of fiction he co-wrote. It involved an attack on the president's limousine, which he seemed to indicate in the interview was probably how a future assassination would go down.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 5th, 2018 at 4:10:12 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
Obama's limo days are gone.

He joked in a recent interview I watched that he suddenly went from causing traffic to being stuck in it.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 5th, 2018 at 5:12:38 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
I did not know that. Was that true at the time of the Reagan shooting? Or either Ford shooting, for that matter.

i think it is relatively recent. Some places say it is the POTUS's blood, other places just say it is his blood type kept in refrigerated storage in the trunk.

Traditionally blood was kept for 42 days, but there is research to indicate that it is not optimal long before that point. If it was only the POTUSs blood, he might have to give every 2 or 3 weeks. So I imagine they simply find someone who is a suitable donor.
Page 1 of 212>