Forking a repo

March 22nd, 2013 at 11:57:29 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Forking a repo is legitimate software terminology. It means to take a copy of another person or group's software (repository) so as to continue development independently.

Recently a woman took a picture of two geeky looking guys at a tech convention, and complained that they were making jokes about "Forking a repo" and "Big dongles". Now we all know that it is often kids and nerds make jokes about legitimate words that sound off-color. When I was a math teacher, I had to teach kids what a latus rectum was (it's a chord through a focus parallel to the conic section directrix). You naturally expect the braniac in the back of the room to make some stupid joke out loud (as if the rest of the class couldn't figure it out for themselves).

I can't believe two people with kids were fired over this incident. Most math majors remember this poster from about 45-50 years ago. Would it be a crime today?

March 22nd, 2013 at 2:52:40 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Do you have a reference for this?

I forked our repo's just yesterday, by the way. If anyone wants to fire me over that.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 23rd, 2013 at 9:29:42 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
The lady who posted this was probably secretly hoping to get fired in order to file a lawsuit. I bet Gloria Aldred is already representing her.
Maybe it's just the social media attention everyone seeks now, but making a big deal about people enjoying themselves with humor is outlandish. They don't work for or with her and owe her nothing.
March 23rd, 2013 at 8:49:03 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: TheCesspit
Do you have a reference for this?

I forked our repo's just yesterday, by the way. If anyone wants to fire me over that.

Donglegate

But did you snigger when you said it?
March 25th, 2013 at 10:30:31 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Sadly, I didn't, as it didn't occur to me.

There's many potentially offensive comments made every day. Forking a repo, and big dongles are so far down the list, it's stupid that anyone got fired over this. But then again, I didn't hear the comments themselves, so who knows. More over, the 'little girl' programmer the complainant (who was also fired in the end for her handling of the issue) was worried about, might have been cracking the same jokes about dongles, forking and data massages.

I've made a couple of risque jokes in the work place, in front of our very easily shocked HR manager. I was told I had crossed a line, and too leave such commentary for the pub. Lesson learned.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 25th, 2013 at 12:30:17 PM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
Quote: Pacomartin
Donglegate

But did you snigger when you said it?
You said snigger!
March 25th, 2013 at 12:53:02 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: s2dbaker
You said snigger!

In my defense, the word is older than the "n-word", and I was actually thinking of "variant of snicker". Of course in today's world someone could record me and publish it on youtube, and people would be wondering "what did he say?".

snicker (verb) 1690s, possibly of imitative origin, similar to Dutch snikken "to gasp, sob."
snigger (verb) 1706, variant form of snicker.

n-word (n.) 1786, earlier "neger" (1568, Scottish and northern England dialect), from French nègre, from Spanish negro.
"You're a fool "n", and the worst day's work Pa ever did was to buy you," said Scarlett slowly. ... There, she thought, I've said "n" and Mother wouldn't like that at all. {Margaret Mitchell, "Gone With the Wind," 1936}
March 27th, 2013 at 3:17:48 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
At least you didn't say vinegar.
March 29th, 2013 at 6:55:49 PM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
The whole thing was stupid. Personally, I'm glad she got fired. She may have had a right to be offended, but in my opinion (and the opinion of many other folks in the industry), the correct way to handle the issue would have been to politely address the two men directly and say "hey, that joke offends me." She didn't say a word to them, just took their picture and published it to her wide social media audience.

Given her (previous) job function, Developer Evangelist, it's not surprising she was fired. She needs to be able to communicate and collaborate with developers, who are overwhelmingly male, for better or for worse. This incident doesn't reflect well upon her.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob