No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

3 members have voted

November 9th, 2020 at 4:26:18 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Quote: Wizard
He could make a very good case the question was vague and his answer was not incorrect. It is a 15-mile popular hike and Half Dome is a bit less I believe.

Hike the El Capitan Trail.

I hear the actual show often is help up over protests, which get edited. If I ever meet up with James, I'll bring it up.

I also think Ken Jennings should have got credit for this one.

Direct: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJO7hcinS-U

I have hiked this route to the top of El Capitan and yes it is definitely a full day. We began about 8am and didn’t return to the car until around 5:30pm. It’s a harder hike than Half Dome IMO. Slightly shorter (Half Dome is 16.5mi return from Happy Isles) however if you add on a side trip to Eagle Peak which we did it is a bit longer. There are other shorter and less strenuous routes to El Capitan starting at trails off HW 120.

Agree the question is poor though as there are many mountains/peaks in Yosemite which are a day hike.
April 5th, 2021 at 12:44:34 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Have you done this hike?

https://youtu.be/lZ0oEP_jtq8?t=257
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 5th, 2021 at 3:16:45 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
Have you done this hike?

The best time of year to hike Angels Landing is in spring, summer and fall. Summer afternoons are very hot--get up early in the morning while temperatures are still cool. During winter the trail ices over and can be extremely dangerous. Do not hike during a thunderstorm--lightning will strike.
April 5th, 2021 at 3:51:33 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Have you done this hike?

https://youtu.be/lZ0oEP_jtq8?t=257

Yes, three times, including earlier this year. So have two of my kids and Mrs. Wizard. As long as you don't have an issue with heights and huge crowds, it's not that hard. Still, I'd say about half the people chicken out when they get to the chains.

My advice is to start as early as possible to avoid crowds and depending on the time of year, the heat. On a summer weekend, I would start before sunrise.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 5th, 2021 at 4:59:43 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Wizard
On a summer weekend, I would start before sunrise.

In the dark?

I once drove through the Colorado mountains in the snow at night. And that was pretty scary.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 5th, 2021 at 7:21:52 PM permalink
Pacomartin
In the dark?

If the hike is a couple of hours you are walking in the dark on the relatively flat section. Same way with summitting Mt Whitney in California. You must start in the dark.
April 5th, 2021 at 7:56:32 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
If the hike is a couple of hours you are walking in the dark on the relatively flat section. Same way with summitting Mt Whitney in California. You must start in the dark.

Yup, people hike in the dark as long as it's an obvious trail. I started my summit bid for Mount Shasta, Mount Baker, and Mount Rainier around 2AM.

The first 3/4 of Angel's Landing is a wide trail. Just bring a flashlight or headlamp. As long as you can see by the time you reach the chains, you're good. I would even do the chains in the dark with a headlamp, but I know the the way pretty well.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 5th, 2021 at 9:05:48 PM permalink
rxwine
The sign that mentions how many people died doesn't specify what time of day it happened.
April 6th, 2021 at 6:01:49 AM permalink
Pacomartin
The sign that mentions how many people died doesn't specify what time of day it happened.

Timeline of Flash Flood Tragedy in Zion's Keyhole Canyon Sept 14, 2015 southwest Utah received heavy rain. Zion National Park had flash floods including in a small canyon called Keyhole Canyon where seven died.

4:30 to 5:30 p.m. Zion Canyon received 0.63 inches of rain in less than one hour. Rangers noted Keyhole Canyon and several other canyons began to flash flood. The flow of the North Fork of the Virgin River rose abruptly from 55 Cubic Feet per Second (CFS) to 2,630 CFS in 15 minutes. River levels this high occur approximately once every three years.

Note that 2,630 CFS = 71 million gallons per hour
April 6th, 2021 at 8:37:49 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin
Timeline of Flash Flood Tragedy in Zion's Keyhole Canyon Sept 14, 2015 southwest Utah received heavy rain. Zion National Park had flash floods including in a small canyon called Keyhole Canyon where seven died.

4:30 to 5:30 p.m. Zion Canyon received 0.63 inches of rain in less than one hour. Rangers noted Keyhole Canyon and several other canyons began to flash flood. The flow of the North Fork of the Virgin River rose abruptly from 55 Cubic Feet per Second (CFS) to 2,630 CFS in 15 minutes. River levels this high occur approximately once every three years.

Note that 2,630 CFS = 71 million gallons per hour

I cant wait to visit Utah
in Reno now.
Moving tomorrow to NE Nevada for a week
After that, spending a month in Utah
Got reservations at 4 different campgrounds around the state
Each stay will be 1 week
Really looking forward to this
My lifetime Nat Park pass will come in handy
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
Page 19 of 19« First<16171819