Future of Commercial TV

Page 27 of 28« First<2425262728>
October 17th, 2020 at 5:42:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Aren't those 2 guys? If not it's
the ugliest woman I ever saw.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 18th, 2020 at 2:08:13 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Gandler
I would be highly surprised if a commercial was banned for having an interracial couple by implying it was "taboo"....

Here is the direct quote from the order shutting down the ad
Quote: Advertising Standards Authority
Because of that, we concluded that the ad was likely to cause serious or widespread offence on the grounds of race and age, .... The ad must not appear again in its current form. We told Nicofresh to ensure their marketing communications did not contain anything that was likely to cause serious or widespread offence in future, and to take particular care to avoid causing offence on the grounds of race or age.
October 18th, 2020 at 3:29:31 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: Pacomartin

This advert was banned for suggesting it was taboo to have an interracial relationship. My question is what the heck are they advertising?

Hopefully, he just wants to swipe the necklace.

Interracial relationships are promoted relentlessly. Social engineering, courtesy of the media. To them, the public is livestock. They tell you who to f#@k and who to vote for. When was the last time anyone saw a commercial that did not feature an interracial couple? Black men are 6% of the population, but they represent no less than 75% of the husbands with white wives or girlfriends in the ads.

If the ad only features a woman with her child, it is usually a white woman with a mixed race child.

Google each of these lines individually. Think about what you would expect to see, then see what links appear. Then check ‘images’.

white woman in love
happy american mother
white man in love
white man white woman
October 18th, 2020 at 6:37:08 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Tanko

Hopefully, he just wants to swipe the necklace.

Interracial relationships are promoted relentlessly. Social engineering, courtesy of the media. To them, the public is livestock. They tell you who to f#@k and who to vote for. When was the last time anyone saw a commercial that did not feature an interracial couple?

WTF
There is only ONE reason for an interracial marriage
LOVE
That's it
My parents did not get married due to social engineering
The only reason for an interracial marriage is LOVE
Due to all the hate against interracial marriage
This LOVE is one of the strongest LOVES out there
Everybody fought against my parents marriage, especially the govt and the Navy
I saw with my own 2 eyes the incredible strength of LOVE
I am the result of 2 people that loved each other and it just happened to be an interracial marraige
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 19th, 2020 at 7:54:54 AM permalink
Pacomartin

It's been 26 years since the first nationwide diversity TV commercial.

A groundbreaking television commercial that depicts two gay men buying furniture is stirring passionate reactions from detractors and supporters--and causing the kind of commotion seldom seen on Madison Avenue.

Last week, furniture retailer Ikea began airing an ad in several East Coast markets that shows two clearly identifiable gay men shopping for a dining room table at an Ikea store. It is the first time gays have been openly portrayed in a mainstream TV spot. Ikea has since been swamped with hundreds of phone calls and letters--some applauding the company, but many others demanding that the ad be axed.

But the spot--which has not been broadcast on the West Coast--won’t be yanked. “It will continue to air over the next year,” said Peter Connolly, director of marketing for Ikea’s Philadelphia-based East Coast division. A few East Coast Ikea stores have been targeted by angry protesters who have jammed phone lines since last week. One store in Hicksville, N.Y., was briefly evacuated last week after a bomb scare. No bomb was found.

At issue is the homosexual relationship between the two men in the Ikea ad, who talk about how buying the dining room table together shows their commitment to each other. If it becomes clear to other major marketers that Ikea’s business is not harmed--and perhaps even helped--by the ad, it could profoundly affect the way major advertisers speak to gays and lesbians.

“It is one small step for Madison Avenue, but it is one giant leap for the gay community,” said Fred Danzig, editor of the trade magazine Advertising Age. “There has never been anything like this before.”

Danzig expects that advertisers from airlines to financial services may eventually follow Ikea’s lead and feature identifiable gays in TV ad campaigns. Until now, only a handful of major advertisers have acknowledged the gay lifestyle in ads--but almost exclusively in print campaigns, where the impact is usually far more subdued.

Firms like Benetton, Banana Republic and Calvin Klein have all used gay imagery in ads placed in mainstream publications. At the same time, more than a dozen major advertisers--including American Express and Apple Computer--have gay-targeted ads running in popular gay and lesbian publications.

The Ikea ad depicts “an aspect of gay life that people never see: our daily lives,” said Ellen Carton, executive director of the New York chapter of the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. Instead of showing gays and lesbians marching at gay rights rallies or suffering from AIDS, the Ikea ad “humanizes us,” she said. “The importance of that cannot be overstated.”

But a storm of protest is rising on the right. “Openly promoting homosexuality will upset America’s mainstream and cost the company business,” said Robert Knight, director of cultural studies at the Family Research Council, a conservative, Washington-based think tank.

Corporate image experts say that provocative portrayals seen on television screens or at the movies can elicit unusually strong reactions from the public because these images are so often much larger--if not more realistic--than on the printed page.

Last month, actor Tom Hanks won the best actor Oscar for his portrayal of an AIDS-infected attorney fired from his job in the film “Philadelphia.” A recent episode of the TV show “Roseanne” drew record ratings when it showed a lesbian--played by Mariel Hemingway--kissing Roseanne Arnold in a lesbian bar.

“Why has the ad industry waited so long?” posed Donny Deutsch, chief executive of Deutsch Inc., the New York agency that created the Ikea ad. “It’s simple: You have a lot of advertisers afraid of backlash.”

Advertisers quietly fear that by trying to appeal to gays and lesbians so publicly, they may antagonize their core markets. Even Ikea officials concede that the company has no plans to air its latest TV spot on the West Coast until the company establishes more of a customer base here. Ikea opened its first West Coast store just three years ago.

But as the 1990s emerge as the decade of niche marketing, a growing number of advertisers are expected to increasingly target gays, who, most surveys show, often enjoy higher disposable household income levels than many other consumer groups.

“Niche marketing is the way of life in America,” said Eugene Secunda, marketing professor at Adelphi University in Garden City, N.Y. “But a number of other gay-oriented ads will soon hit the airwaves, and there may very well be a backlash from the gay community itself.” Indeed, there are some gays who seriously question the motives behind the commercial.

“It smacks of tokenism,” said Jeff Yarbrough, editor-in-chief of the Advocate, a national gay and lesbian magazine. “If the intent of the ad has been to garner media attention, well, it’s done a brilliant job of that. But I wonder, what are their real motives? What is Ikea’s corporate policy on gays?”

The company has no detailed corporate policy on gays and lesbians--nor for that matter does it know how many of its customers are gay, said East Coast marketing chief Connolly.

“We’re not trying to promote a certain lifestyle or make a statement,” Connolly said. “This is just part of our overall strategy to try to speak directly to all kinds of customers.” Ikea is also airing other spots, including one featuring a divorced woman and another with a retired couple.

The ad with the two gay men “could cost us some customers,” Connolly said. “But it shows Ikea is for everyone. This will make us a stronger company.”
October 19th, 2020 at 8:22:19 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Pacomartin
Here is the direct quote from the order shutting down the ad

I must say I did not see that coming.

A cigarette advert banned not because of it being cigarettes, but because of an interracial couple? That is beyond bizarre...
October 19th, 2020 at 8:44:27 AM permalink
Pacomartin
A cigarette advert banned not because of it being cigarettes, but because of an interracial couple? That is beyond bizarre...

To clarify this ban took place on 6 August 2014 in Britain. I am not sure if there would be a similar response in the US.

The following month some people objected to this billboard.

Matford's managing director, Harry Langley, explained that jokey adverts with images of women are effective: We needed an effective way to advertise our office space. Looking at examples of adverts that have worked for other companies in the past, we saw that word play and images of women were the most successful. We combined the two factors with the aim of creating a humorous and memorable way of promoting our facilities. We compared our advert with other images around at the moment and judged it was acceptable.
October 19th, 2020 at 8:48:33 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

You have to remember pre-1980s to believe it. Younger people do not get what things were once like.
The President is a fink.
October 19th, 2020 at 8:58:36 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

It is bizarre
I grew up in an interracial family in the 1960's and 70's
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 19th, 2020 at 10:02:24 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: terapined
It is bizarre
I grew up in an interracial family

As you remind us every 20 min,
like you were the only one.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 27 of 28« First<2425262728>