survival, foraging, etc

August 21st, 2020 at 6:52:34 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
We watched the finale last night of season 7 "Alone" last night where the contestant won one million dollars for surviving alone for 100 days in the arctic with very few items to make life easier. We've watched season one and two on Vancouver island that I could do without. I've seen enough rain for a lifetime. But the arctic contest was great. I will go back and find the season in Patagonia. It's one of the better survival show's imo. https://www.history.com/shows/alone/cast

One of the contestants stole a squirrels cache of Chanterelle's which I thought was really innovative.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 22nd, 2020 at 2:12:09 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: petroglyph
One of the contestants stole a squirrels cache of Chanterelle's which I thought was really innovative.
I could tell something was coming along and uprooting some of the chanterelles and just leaving them. Perhaps they keep better if you want to store them, if you at least uproot them first. Drying mushrooms works to preserve them, of course this would be a matter of instinctive behavior in animals. Raining too much now to dry around here!

I have frozen mushrooms to preserve them. That works but whatever you thaw must be used right away, refrigerating what was thawed turned it into something disgusting.

better picture of chanterelles, https://healing-mushrooms.net/chanterelle-mushrooms

also found some black trumpets, related to chanterelles, also considered choice, image from Amazon

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 23rd, 2020 at 12:33:05 PM permalink
odiousgambit
hunting season is starting, small game, went into the woods for some hunting yesterday morning and hit the jackpot with mushrooms!

hen of the woods [on the left] and beefsteak shrooms; forgot to put something in the pic for scale but sitting in a normal size refrigerator should give you an idea on that

June 24th, 2021 at 4:02:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
This is an interesting/funny video of some hikers that found Chicken of the Woods on a hike. They find it 10min into the video. In the next two videos after this one they eat most of it and feed a whole bunch of strangers with it.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 25th, 2021 at 6:22:22 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: Evenbob
This is an interesting/funny video of some hikers that found Chicken of the Woods on a hike. They find it 10min into the video. In the next two videos after this one they eat most of it and feed a whole bunch of strangers with it.

observations:

*a mucho religious lady. Bob!? do you just fast forward though that?

*at first finding the mushrooms, they seem to be saying they are guessing as to what it is, but one dude already ate some 'with his ramen'. This 'eating before identifying' is a big no-no for mushroom foraging.

*then one guy thinks he has identified it with a smartphone. I'm fairly sure it is chicken of the woods, tho I am not there to really see... I am pretty surprised they are satisfied so quickly they know what it is

*they check for poisonous look-alikes, that's good

*brave people considering the level of their knowledge
June 25th, 2021 at 8:05:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: odiousgambit
o

*brave people considering the level of their knowledge

They are young college grads who are on their honeymoon. They are 22 23 years old, idiots about most things. At that age you can't contemplate dying from eating a mushroom, everything is a big adventure. They are a very nice young Christian couple doing a 2000 mile hike. Like I said it's funny and entertaining. It took them days to eat all that mushroom. The old guy, Jim, is 82 and he seemed to know what it was because he ate some of them right off the tree.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 16th, 2021 at 8:57:45 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Eat your heart out, fellows!

big find of chicken of the woods cincinnatus mushroom, smaller find of c.o.w. sulphureus

yep the mushrooms of the fall are starting to come out ... beer can for scale

September 16th, 2021 at 9:49:33 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
I read that the largest living organism in the work is a fungus, specifically a honey mushrom in Oregon which cover 2,385 acres.

Down in Tillamook, on the Oregon coast, magic mushrooms grow in the cow pastures: put some of those babies on your steak and see what happens.

September 16th, 2021 at 9:52:14 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Came across this in ID\
Grow your own

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 16th, 2021 at 9:57:18 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: missedhervee
I read that the largest living organism in the work is a fungus, specifically a honey mushrom in Oregon which cover 2,385 acres.
the unseen part of the mushroom organism is all underground and looks nothing like what we think of as a mushroom. What we generally call a 'mushroom' is the fruiting body. I wonder if you got it right that it was a honey mushroom, though. Possibly, I guess.

Down in Tillamook, on the Oregon coast, magic mushrooms grow in the cow pastures: put some of those babies on your steak and see what happens. [not reshowing image]
I tried my luck with such back in the 70s and didn't like it at all.

search the news for mushrooms and death, and you will come up with a lot of people who went nuts and killed somebody while on drugs, the mushrooms like that being one of the drugs. Let me see if I can find one quickly.