survival, foraging, etc

September 4th, 2018 at 5:18:16 PM permalink
ChesterDog
Threads: 0
Quote: odiousgambit
OK, I've got a new word to slap you doubting dudes with ... like you, Bob!

you are guilty of

Mycophobia!

Evander Holyfield might have that condition, now. Remember Mike bit both Holyfield's ears in their 1997 fight.
September 19th, 2018 at 11:18:44 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
latest for you mycophobes to worry about [I have them in my family too]

just having fun with that, I suppose some of you don't think I'm crazy

found more chick. o. w. , it was very fresh and sauteed up real nice. I had suspected it was quite different if real fresh and it is; the other I had found was older. This I am pretty sure was Sulphurous variety, it tasted quite different, delicious, but I think mostly because it was fresh. Seeded it all around where I found it too.

I also found some Chanterelle - this time I'm sure it isn't False Chanterelle. Will have to double and triple check that and maybe still won't eat but just a bit, or I might not eat it after all. The Ch. o. w. is just plain much safer to be fooling around with. But the Chanterelle does not have gills.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 19th, 2018 at 1:20:15 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

just having fun with that, I suppose some of you don't think I'm crazy

Nope.

I'm just out on this topic. I suppose psilocybins are the cause; I simply can't get down with this. I guess it's like when you get life threatening drunk, you usually can't even stomach the smell of what you got drunk on. Odd because I've only had life alteringly good experiences with them, but I can't handle anything greater than a pizza mushroom these days.

I'll be back when you get to the roadkill portion of OG's costless calorie composium.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 19th, 2018 at 1:38:16 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: Face
Nope.

I'm just out on this topic. I suppose psilocybins are the cause; I simply can't get down with this. I guess it's like when you get life threatening drunk, you usually can't even stomach the smell of what you got drunk on. Odd because I've only had life alteringly good experiences with them, but I can't handle anything greater than a pizza mushroom these days.

I'll be back when you get to the roadkill portion of OG's costless calorie composium.

I did not dig my experience with the magic mushrooms some 45 years ago. I got a weird reaction - got too high I guess is how I would describe it. Just for a short period, but it was a bit scary and that was the end of that. So what happened that you gave it up?
September 30th, 2018 at 8:19:16 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I decided to make this a blog post. If the picture intrigues, you can go there

October 23rd, 2018 at 2:57:04 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Time to horrify the mycophobes again

first picture is of Hen of the Woods! First time spotting this, pretty excited about it. Found 4 big ones like this all on a fallen log and took this one. Second pic shows a golf ball for scale, these things get huge; got a little heavy carrying it out as I had to hold it in one hand while carrying a gun in the other. Also shown are some likely oyster mushrooms, but need to look into it to be sure.

January 2nd, 2019 at 10:25:23 AM permalink
odiousgambit
This guy does well with answering the question, "isn't hunting just murder?" - however he fails to point out one thing I always do: wild animals do not get to die gently of old age. A humane, swift kill is actually a better way to go.

January 2nd, 2019 at 5:56:31 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
This guy does well with answering the question, "isn't hunting just murder?" - however he fails to point out one thing I always do: wild animals do not get to die gently of old age. A humane, swift kill is actually a better way to go.

It's bizarre to see hunters get so much of the carni hate. I suppose if I thought a while I could come up with some examples, but at least in my inner circle, hunting is as humane as it gets. For real I'd rather be hunted than go however I'm meant to go, cause it's all precise stuff. You're dead before the adrenaline wears off, never feel a thing. Just a few seconds of "Whelp, this is it", then eternal peace. Not to lambaste farms as a whole, but there are certainly worse ways to exist and cease.

I (very fortunately) can't get all that passionate about this. I generally treat those types like the hyper religious, I just can't be arsed to argue ad infinitum about something that doesn't matter to me. If you're happy eating grass, I'm happy for you, so we can just move on.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 3rd, 2019 at 2:31:35 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: Face
I (very fortunately) can't get all that passionate about this. I generally treat those types like the hyper religious, I just can't be arsed to argue ad infinitum about something that doesn't matter to me.
good point and good attitude

When I was a young man I felt I could read the crystal ball and it said that hunting would one day be outlawed, likely within my lifetime. I think there were articles out there claiming that too. And maybe this will be proved right eventually, except we now know it won't happen in my lifetime. But it sure meant I have spent time pondering good arguments, another one of which, btw, is the sad business that happens to game populations that are allowed to get too large.

The proportion of the population that is swearing off meat is increasing all the time, I think we all know that, so it may just be a matter of whether this continues to increase as to whether hunting will ever be banned. Game and Fish departments everywhere also are worried about the demographics they see: less and less young people are becoming hunters.

The link below will take you straight to a chart on vegetarian growth by percentage

https://animalcharityevaluators.org/blog/is-the-percentage-of-vegetarians-and-vegans-in-the-u-s-increasing/#Graph1
September 2nd, 2019 at 1:35:00 PM permalink
odiousgambit
My Shiitake mushroom project is a flop so far. I checked out my plugged logs and, lo and behold, there are a few mushrooms growing! Unfortunately, they are not Shiitake! I cut this one off and it appears to have grown out of a plug I put in alright. But this does not look right at all. I think the plugs were mislabeled! Since it came straight out of a plug it seems unlikely to me to be a natural 'volunteer'

It does not look right for Shiitake in any stage. It's possible only one plug was mislabeled so stay tuned - though it might be next year before i get any Shiitakes, should I be so lucky. Sh!t!*

I simply do not know what this is and will follow the general advice to not consume what you can't identify. Plus it has gills, that's strike two. I know of no one around here who can help, strike 3.

*of course it's impossible to not make this joke