survival, foraging, etc

September 2nd, 2019 at 11:29:44 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: petroglyph

In my youth, I went out with a friend in search of magic mushrooms. I as amazed at how many different mushrooms he would eat right out of the field, that looked different. None of which were the big white angel of death types. Although meadow mushrooms grow well on the PNW coastlands. We never did find any magic ones.

We had to go into farmer's cow pastures to get them, which involved some risk, as we didn't ask permission. More than once I worried about catching a butt full of rock salt. Never did get shot at fortunately.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 22nd, 2019 at 6:39:50 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
what a find! Chicken of the Woods - sulphureus type, which the bright red/orange certifies

In fact this is my first find, but I knew what it was instantly from 200 feet away

previously I had found plenty of Cincinnatus type, which is not as choice, and I have found some of that to be a bit bitter

had some of this yesterday sauteed in oil and butter - delicious. Today for something different stay tuned to Bob's "what I ate" thread

PS: the white looking stuff next to it is last year's 'crop' - if interested in mushrooms, to look for this off-season and come back in the fall is a good plan, I've found

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 22nd, 2019 at 9:35:13 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
anti-cancer properties, anti-microbial properties useful in wards over-run with universally resistant bacteria; mushrooms will be booming.

I'm not going to post too many details but suffice it to say that one country has posted armed police around a certain area that contains a recently discovered "devil's footprint" which will be worth millions if preliminary results are confirmed.
October 22nd, 2019 at 10:27:21 AM permalink
odiousgambit
did you mean devil's fingers?

PS: apparently stink

October 22nd, 2019 at 10:31:15 AM permalink
odiousgambit
check this out

October 22nd, 2019 at 10:32:23 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: odiousgambit
what a find! Chicken of the Woods - sulphureus type, which the bright red/orange certifies

In fact this is my first find, but I knew what it was instantly from 200 feet away

I haven't gotten desperate enough
that I'm eating crap growing on the
side of tree's. I gave up mushrooms
in the 80's, they cause gout. Never
cared for them anyway, too musty
tasting.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 22nd, 2019 at 10:44:32 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Evenbob
I gave up mushrooms in the 80's, they cause gout.

Beer, brewer's yeast, certain wines, etc. have mushroom extracts and therefore act as a trigger for an existing gout condition. The Gout is an infection.
October 22nd, 2019 at 10:58:15 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: odiousgambit
did you mean devil's fingers? PS: apparently stink
No, those are well known and rather widely distributed. I was referring to a localized find that will make millions in non-addicting pain relief if early lab reports are confirmed. The problem with common names is that they get applied to a wide variety of similarly appearing but botanically different items.
October 22nd, 2019 at 11:05:01 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
Beer, brewer's yeast, certain wines, etc. have mushroom extracts and therefore act as a trigger for an existing gout condition. The Gout is an infection.

Haven't drank beer since the 80's
either, don't miss it at all. Or most
wines. They always make me sleepy,
why bother.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 5th, 2019 at 9:09:24 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
OG! Can I get an ID, or is that beyond you?

Ain't fixin' to eat them, just need to know what they are so I can make arrangements.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.