August 9th, 2018 at 6:57:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I surprised myself by feeling emotional after
hearing the announcement about the new
Space Force. I've been reading about this
in sci-fi since the 50's. Heinlein and
others wrote a lot of books about the
coming Space Force, it was very exciting.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 9th, 2018 at 7:11:50 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
It was a matter of time. There already is a space force, but it is part of the Air Force. Mostly maintaining satellites and tracking killer Chinese satellites that follow them. The future of the military is in space. I do applaud outsourcing as much as we can to the private sector.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 10th, 2018 at 2:23:03 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
It was a matter of time. There already is a space force, but it is part of the Air Force. Mostly maintaining satellites and tracking killer Chinese satellites that follow them. The future of the military is in space. I do applaud outsourcing as much as we can to the private sector.

I have been wondering when they would break out a Space Force for about 15 years now. I don't expect anyone to actually serve much in space for years. Hopefully it gets our launch program a kick in the tail.
The President is a fink.
August 10th, 2018 at 2:46:58 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
in 50s scifi movies , especially ones where they land on another planet, the explorers were all in the military. Watching them after NASA was created, I'm thinking they couldn't imagine a civilian space agency, that they got it wrong.

Now I'm thinking maybe they got it right. NASA seems to be going away.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 10th, 2018 at 3:14:09 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: odiousgambit
in 50s scifi movies , especially ones where they land on another planet, the explorers were all in the military. Watching them after NASA was created, I'm thinking they couldn't imagine a civilian space agency, that they got it wrong.

Now I'm thinking maybe they got it right. NASA seems to be going away.

In "I Dream of Jeanie" the astronauts were all military.

I wonder about NASA, and methinks it may be swept in or at least under the Space Force.

I look for elements to criticize this and make it "Star Wars II" like they did with SDI. Reality is space is already weaponized, and if our satellites get hit we are really done for. For now it will be about protecting our satellites and figuring best ways to take down other satellites.
The President is a fink.
August 10th, 2018 at 5:29:07 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Wizard

Not sure what real changes can be made. Zipping around in space in any sort of patrol ships isn't really practical. Putting more military equipment in space -- like the drone program seems likely. Perhaps a few military space stations. A moon base.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 10th, 2018 at 6:36:54 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
Not sure what real changes can be made. Zipping around in space in any sort of patrol ships isn't really practical. Putting more military equipment in space -- like the drone program seems likely. Perhaps a few military space stations. A moon base.

Get Sci-Fi out of your head for it. Might be 100 years before we have guys up there fighting. Drones may shift from USAF to USSF. I have heard the USAF is having issues with drone pilots, might make sense to split them off. At the moment protection of satellites and SDI will be the big thing. Might not even be any PT for these guys.
The President is a fink.